YVR Vancouver Customs

CALMOM

I will flying into YVR Vancouver on 9/1. Saturday about 1:30 p.m. Any idea how long it will take to get through customs? I heard that it will be a holiday in Vancouver but not sure. One of the persons traveling in our group has a medical condition that prevents them from standing for long periods of time and wondering if I should get them a wheelchair to assist in waiting in the customs line. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Monday, Sept. 3, is Labour Day, so there may be more travellers than usual that whole weekend. I'd agree with asking for a wheelchair for the duration of Customs/Immigration. Before you board your plane to fly to Vancouver, let your airline know you'll need a wheelchair and one will be waiting as you get off the plane.

My experience with Vancouver has been that it is very quick to get out of the airport when flying in - I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to clear customs (the longest wait is for my bags to show up). However, when leaving Vancouver I have had to wait over 1/2 hour in line to get through immigration. There were a lot of Asian passengers in line, so assume there were some jumbo jets leaving around that time.

As one of the previous posters said, most of the heavy jets from Asia arrive between 10 and 3. The wait can be long, depending on just how many big jets have arrived just before yours. I would be mentally prepared for >1 hour and hope to be pleasantly surprised if it's less.

Leaving Vancouver through US customs, I have never waited more than 10-15 minutes, however on a busy cruise ship day I would expect it to be longer.

[quote name=

Leaving Vancouver through US customs, I have never waited more than 10-15 minutes, however on a busy cruise ship day I would expect it to be longer.[/quote]

I had over an hour wait in line- After security with the US customs, on one trip trying to leave, a month ago. :) Overall time from drop off via cab was 2 1/2 hours, to the gate.

As people said - I think it really depends on when you arrive (and if the Asian flights are getting in). We arrived during that busy time the first of August, and waited well over an hour to get through customs. When you check in for your flight, tell them you need a wheelchair in YVR - and they should have one waiting for you. You probably won't find one sitting around..... Good luck! Vancouver is a beautiful city!!!:D

Archived