Cruising with 1 year old on Explorer of the Seas 11/23/07

This is a 9 nite out of Cape Liberty, NJ. We are so excited for our first vacation with our daughter. Any and all tips for cruising with our 1 year old daughter would be great. We have sailed quite a few times but never with our new addition so advice from cruisers who have would be much appreciated.

Also, lists of what to bring and what to leave home would help too.

If there are forums that discuss already would be happy to read them...just direct me please.

Thanks so much!

Shelli

You will find a ton of info under the family cruising section

bring a stroller, umbrella type is easier to maneuver on the ship. You will need to bring a sheet for the pack and play, your own baby food and plenty of diapers. Also since your child is not potty trained they will not be allowed in any of the pools, even with swim diapers.

Have a great time on your cruise!!

From one mom to another....

MAYBE her DD IS Potty trained... only you know, right mom? MAYBE, just MAYBE when you take her to the pool in her swimsuit... you DONT have a diaper on her....so have fun in the pool (just make sure she doesn't poop in it!)

We have traveled w/our DS sincehe was 5 months old. (he is 4 1/2 now). Yes, make sure you bring all of your diapering supplies. And baby food?? She probably eats real food by now, but if there is something special that she eats, bring it along too.

Bring her toys to play with. yes, they have the daily tots program for an hour,a nd yes, I think you can even 'check out' a toy or two, but make sure that she has stuff to play with. New toys are great for a cruise, as they tend to hold thier attention longer than one they have seen b4.

As Sue mentioned, bring her own sheet for the pack n play. and blankets it will make her feel more secure and YOU know that these are perfectly clean!

Yes, the umbrella stroller is more cabin friendly too, but I have absolutley seen the bigger strollers in the hallway in front of a cabin door. So what if people have to walk around it... don't let them tell you otherwise.

I always asked for a small milk carton at dinenr time and would take it to the room so 1st thing in the morning, DS could have milk with out have to 'go' anywhere for it.

Have a great cruise!

MAYBE her DD IS Potty trained... only you know, right mom? MAYBE, just MAYBE when you take her to the pool in her swimsuit... you DONT have a diaper on her....so have fun in the pool (just make sure she doesn't poop in it!)

Please, please, PLEASE do not encourage anyone to take a 1 YO into a pool. Most children at age 1, even if they are potty trained, don't have the muscle control of an older child. You cannot stop an infant from pooping ANYWHERE, and if they are in a pool, the damage is done before you know there is possible contamination. It's a health and safety issue for the other children and adults.

Anyway, to the OP: there are plenty of threads with great information about cruising with infants.

If you are taking her into the dining room with you, ask the dining steward to have the high chair set up for you and some appropriate finger foods for her, also. They'd be happy to help.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We have traveled w/our DS sincehe was 5 months old. (he is 4 1/2 now). Yes, make sure you bring all of your diapering supplies. And baby food?? She probably eats real food by now, but if there is something special that she eats, bring it along too.

Bring her toys to play with. yes, they have the daily tots program for an hour,a nd yes, I think you can even 'check out' a toy or two, but make sure that she has stuff to play with. New toys are great for a cruise, as they tend to hold thier attention longer than one they have seen b4.

As Sue mentioned, bring her own sheet for the pack n play. and blankets it will make her feel more secure and YOU know that these are perfectly clean!

Yes, the umbrella stroller is more cabin friendly too, but I have absolutley seen the bigger strollers in the hallway in front of a cabin door. So what if people have to walk around it... don't let them tell you otherwise.

I always asked for a small milk carton at dinenr time and would take it to the room so 1st thing in the morning, DS could have milk with out have to 'go' anywhere for it.

Have a great cruise!

Are you freaking kidding me......please do NOT take a child in the pool who isn't potty trained. There isn't any way for you to know if they are going to poop and if they do then the pool is closed for the rest of the trip. The other kids are in a nutshell CHIT out of luck.

Have a great cruise!

While there´s some good advice in this post I can only shake my head at the two highlighted remarks. How can someone be so inconsiderate to others? I´m not even going to comment on the pool issue. Regarding the stroller in the hallway, no it´s not a problem to walk around it for you and me, but what about those people in wheelchairs, with scooters, walkers and other families with strollers? They might not be able to just "walk around" it and they might be stuck. I think it´s very inconsiderate to do that.

I´m not even talking about safety risks here, as something partially blocking the hallway could be a real risk for the safety of others in case of an emergency.

While there´s some good advice in this post I can only shake my head at the two highlighted remarks. How can someone be so inconsiderate to others? I´m not even going to comment on the pool issue. Regarding the stroller in the hallway, no it´s not a problem to walk around it for you and me, but what about those people in wheelchairs, with scooters, walkers and other families with strollers? They might not be able to just "walk around" it and they might be stuck. I think it´s very inconsiderate to do that.

I´m not even talking about safety risks here, as something partially blocking the hallway could be a real risk for the safety of others in case of an emergency.

There were a lot of regular sized strollers on the Liberty last week. I didn't see anyone having a problem walking around them. Just be courteous and don't try to shove your way through. I had more problems with people shoving wheelchairs into me than strollers. Its not like its an emergency and they're running to the ER, they need to have a little more patience and a little less sense of entitlement and realize that you can't always move out of the way quick enough when the crowds are leaving a show or something.

Are you freaking kidding me......please do NOT take a child in the pool who isn't potty trained. There isn't any way for you to know if they are going to poop and if they do then the pool is closed for the rest of the trip. The other kids are in a nutshell CHIT out of luck.

These posts always crack me up. As I sit by the pool in the solarium or out on the deck. I'm amazed by the number of adults who spend hours in the pool drinking and never seem to get out to pee. I think its time to stop berating those with small children about the risks of them pooping in the pool. Most of them already know that. They also usually know their own child's "pooping routine".. right moms?

There were a lot of regular sized strollers on the Liberty last week. I didn't see anyone having a problem walking around them. Just be courteous and don't try to shove your way through. I had more problems with people shoving wheelchairs into me than strollers. Its not like its an emergency and they're running to the ER, they need to have a little more patience and a little less sense of entitlement and realize that you can't always move out of the way quick enough when the crowds are leaving a show or something.

My response was to the statement of parking the "bigger stroller in the hallway in front of the cabin door" and those hallways are not that wide, so a "bigger" stroller can block the way for people in wheelchairs, with walkers or for others who might use a "bigger stroller" as well. It´s not about the crowds at the end of a show or something like that.

My other point was that in case of an emergency it can get a serious safety issue when people are trying to escape and it blocks the hallway, especially in case of power loss and darkness and / or a smoke filled hallway.

That´s not a just walk around inconvenience.

These posts always crack me up. As I sit by the pool in the solarium or out on the deck. I'm amazed by the number of adults who spend hours in the pool drinking and never seem to get out to pee. I think its time to stop berating those with small children about the risks of them pooping in the pool. Most of them already know that. They also usually know their own child's "pooping routine".. right moms?

And that does make it right:confused:

I´ve yet to see one of those adults you are talking about see pooping in the pool, however pooping kids in the pool is another story. The cruise lines have rules for this that are not set by the cruiseline btw but by the CDC.

Thank you to those of you who are providing me with advice and direction. I have cruised before and am a rational, considerate person and while all advice is welcome I am sure I can figure out what is right to do and what is not.

Although I understand concerns raised by comments I am not looking for a war on the topic, just more advice about traveling with my 1 year old.

Thanks....and great advice so far....any other pointers particular to the ship, getting off in ports, dining, what to bring, etc.

Thank you so much.

Glad to know you crack up....and I agree that anyone peeing in a pool is trashy, but the difference is that if anyone poops in a pool the pool is shut down, drained, and some poor crew member has to scrub it down. You can see some really great pictures on last weeks Sensation where the crew member is scrubing it out and read all about parents whose children couldn't use the pool. I am also a Mom to 4 children and above and beyond learning to watch their faces to see if they are taking a dump, I want to teach them consideration for others.

Thank you to those of you who are providing me with advice and direction. I have cruised before and am a rational, considerate person and while all advice is welcome I am sure I can figure out what is right to do and what is not.

Although I understand concerns raised by comments I am not looking for a war on the topic, just more advice about traveling with my 1 year old.

Thanks....and great advice so far....any other pointers particular to the ship, getting off in ports, dining, what to bring, etc.

Thank you so much.

Baby powder for removing sand from tender parts. Wet wipes and more wet wipes. (I would get the anti- bacterial since at this age they still mouth a lot). Ziplocks of all sizes. You can put snacks in them, carry the above wet wipes, wet bathing suits, that type of thing. Sippie cups so that you can transfer the drinks out of goblets and into it. If you are bringing a power strip I would bring safety caps for the outlets. Not sure the size of your little one but maybe a snuggli to carry him on your chest instead of in a stroller sometimes. That way he can see more then knees and bums. :eek:

Am I the only one that just thinks it's inconsiderate to take a baby on a cruise? It's not as bad as taking a baby to dinner or the movies, it's nine freaking days trapped on a boat with someone else's kid!

I don't have kids yet but I do understand that my life will change when I have kids. I won't be able to do everything that I do now.

I'm going on the Mariner for my Honeymoon next month and you can bet if a couple with a baby is at my dinner table I'm going ot ask to be moved not to another table but to another FLOOR. I can understand teenagers on a cruise, even 6-10. But WHY would you want to expose your child to all the disease of traveling, the disruption of their schedule, the different food, the cramped quarters, and all the other stresses of traveling. Why would you want to force all the other people to listen to your fussy baby (when he/she gets fussy) Really, you don't have a parent that can take care of your little snowflake while you vacation in the hot sun? Or really, shouldn't that vacation wait until the kid might remember it?

What on a cruise vacation sounds like it would be more fun with a baby?

Please keep in mind it's not just your vacation that will be affected, there are thousands of people traveling with you.

Perhaps a nice car trip is in order.

Glad to know you crack up....and I agree that anyone peeing in a pool is trashy, but the difference is that if anyone poops in a pool the pool is shut down, drained, and some poor crew member has to scrub it down. You can see some really great pictures on last weeks Sensation where the crew member is scrubing it out and read all about parents whose children couldn't use the pool. I am also a Mom to 4 children and above and beyond learning to watch their faces to see if they are taking a dump, I want to teach them consideration for others.

As in consideration for the intelligence of the mother who was the original poster? I'm sure she's not so inconsiderate as to allow her child to poop in the pool. I've owned a pool for 11 years and have had many toddlers swimming in it and all the moms have been intelligent enough to monitor the situation. There's no guarantee that older children will not contract a virus that would cause them to have an accident either. I'm sure that Royal Caribbean took that risk into consideration when they opened the children's area.

I'm just tired of these posts that turn into "how dare anyone ruin my vacation" by: 1) bringing a child that they think is too young to cruise; 2) allowing your toddler in the pool and taking the risk that they might poop in it 3) bringing a stroller that might cause a stumbling hazard (even though they're much smaller than the carts left in the hallways by the room stewards) 4) wearing jeans or other inappropriate dress to the dining room where it might be seen by someone who's vacation would be totally ruined by it!!

P.S. The children's area (with the exception of the pool which is too deep for any small child to go in by themselves) on Liberty was shut down, drained and scrubbed down every night.

Yup, think you might be the only one. Actually I'm sure your not the only one to think it, but its obvious that you have a completely different viewpoint than someone who's taking the kids. We will be going on the Monarch end of October with our 5 year old, 3 year old, and 7 month old. I am excited for this because it is the only way to vacation that I can get a break too. 2 years ago my husband and I went on a cruise by ourselves and that was great, it was a great romantic getaway trip, but that is not what I am looking for on this trip. This time I am looking for great fun for the whole family together. It' easier than so many other vacation options because I as the mom will get a little bit of a break too. I won't have to wash a single dish or prepare a single meal all week. And if the service is as good as I think it will be, I'm even hoping to not have to grind up the babies food either.

And about dinner, we will be in the dining room, my kids will be well behaved, and if you don't want to sit with us, that's fine because we don't want you by us anyways, we'll save the seats for someone who can appreciate the meaning of family and the joys of vacationing together (whether the kids remember it in 10 years or not is irrelevant, we line in the moment and don't want to live with regrets of what we could have done.)

Am I the only one that just thinks it's inconsiderate to take a baby on a cruise? It's not as bad as taking a baby to dinner or the movies, it's nine freaking days trapped on a boat with someone else's kid!

I don't have kids yet but I do understand that my life will change when I have kids. I won't be able to do everything that I do now.

I'm going on the Mariner for my Honeymoon next month and you can bet if a couple with a baby is at my dinner table I'm going ot ask to be moved not to another table but to another FLOOR. I can understand teenagers on a cruise, even 6-10. But WHY would you want to expose your child to all the disease of traveling, the disruption of their schedule, the different food, the cramped quarters, and all the other stresses of traveling. Why would you want to force all the other people to listen to your fussy baby (when he/she gets fussy) Really, you don't have a parent that can take care of your little snowflake while you vacation in the hot sun? Or really, shouldn't that vacation wait until the kid might remember it?

Please keep in mind it's not just your vacation that will be affected, there are thousands of people traveling with you.

No, you're not the only one. I've been thinking it for years, and finally gave up. I have always wondered why people will take their very, very young children into an environment where their sleeping and eating patterns are disruptive, but most of all put their unsteady little legs on a MOVING OBJECT??????? Anyway, we are not going to stop the flood; just voice our opinions.

Age Policies

Facility Age Requirement

Solarium * Age 16 and over*

Adventure Ocean and

Teen Facilities

Ages 3 through 17, with age-specific sections.

Theater Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian

Pools** Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the pools or whirlpools.

Therefore, guests in diapers, pull-ups or swimmers may not use the pools or

whirlpools, even if accompanied by a parent or adult guardian**

Whirlpools ** Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian**

Ports of call Under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian

Bingo / Horse Racing Under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian

ShipShape Center (Gym) Age 16 and over

Day Spa Age 18 and over

Ages 13 through 17 may only be present while participating in scheduled

treatments

Adult Night Club / Disco Age 18 and over (see alcohol policy)

Casino*** Age 18 and over (except Alaska***)

* During inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool (if covered) to be

used by persons under age 16 provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian.

** United States Public Health Department Policy (USPH) prohibits persons who are not toilet trained or

use diapers, pull-ups or swimmers from using pools or whirlpools. Royal Caribbean is exploring ways to

provide swimming options to those who are not toilet trained. To determine if USPH approval has been

received and such a capability is available on a particular ship, please contact the ship’s Guest Relations

Desk.

*** For all Alaska itineraries, guests must be 21 years of age or older to gamble in the casino.

Consequences

Failure to act in accordance with this policy may result in:

Intervention by Security, other management personnel, or law enforcement

Removal of certain onboard privileges, which may include being detained, quarantined or

confined in a cabin or holding cell

Confiscation of illegal/contraband/prohibited items (may be turned over to law enforcement

authorities)

Denial of boarding on the current or any future Royal Caribbean cruise

Reporting of incidents to government and law enforcement authorities for follow-on legal action

Removal from a ship at the next port of call. Guests removed from a Royal Caribbean ship

pursuant to this policy, are responsible for their own accommodations and transportation home, at

their expense. Documentation requirements for re-entry into the guest’s home country are also

the responsibility of the guest.

Only the Liberty and the Freedom allows babies in the Baby Splash Zone which is specially for them but they are not allowed in any other pool. No other RCCL ship allows babies in the pools. It is a health risk to all passengers.

To the OP, you will find excellent info of cruising with a child and great tips also on this cc link for family cruising. Enjoy your cruise:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Yup, think you might be the only one. Actually I'm sure your not the only one to think it, but its obvious that you have a completely different viewpoint than someone who's taking the kids. We will be going on the Monarch end of October with our 5 year old, 3 year old, and 7 month old. I am excited for this because it is the only way to vacation that I can get a break too. 2 years ago my husband and I went on a cruise by ourselves and that was great, it was a great romantic getaway trip, but that is not what I am looking for on this trip. This time I am looking for great fun for the whole family together. It' easier than so many other vacation options because I as the mom will get a little bit of a break too. I won't have to wash a single dish or prepare a single meal all week. And if the service is as good as I think it will be, I'm even hoping to not have to grind up the babies food either.

And about dinner, we will be in the dining room, my kids will be well behaved, and if you don't want to sit with us, that's fine because we don't want you by us anyways, we'll save the seats for someone who can appreciate the meaning of family and the joys of vacationing together (whether the kids remember it in 10 years or not is irrelevant, we line in the moment and don't want to live with regrets of what we could have done.)

Good for you! Enjoy your vacation. You will not be alone, there will be tons of small children on the ship and they all do very well. You may encounter some cranky adults that need a nap or a timeout, but pay them no mind, they'd probably be cranky no matter where they are.

So kids shouldn't go anywhere until they're six or so, or can remember it? What if they're finally "old" enough and have a new baby sibling? The older sibling should just suck it up and not have a vacation until they're 10-12 or older? I've taken my munchkin on many vacations, road trips, Disney World, Disney Land, and somehow we managed to keep his routines fairly normal.

He's 2.5 years old and he's been to 23 states. Canada. I think around a dozen plane flights. His first cruise will be just shy of his 3rd birthday and just after my niece's first birthday. And no, we can't leave them with a grandparent because the grandparents are coming with us. ;) But don't worry, there's not a high probability you'll have to sit with us at dinner.

And as for remembering - my son may not remember specifics, but he sees pictures of our last trip to WDW and "talks" about seeing Mickey and riding the rides. And he knows exactly where we're going when I say we're going to WDW in October.

OP, I would bring a baby carrier for sure. I'm bringing my Mei Tai for my boy, just because it's so much easier to carry him in places. (He's way too big for the Snuggli nowadays.) Umbrella strollers are a lot nicer than in the past - my son has a Combi that's nice and padded and reclines for naptimes on the go. Bring some snacks she's familiar with and DEFINITELY pack your own diapers!

I've also heard to bring a small blow-up pool for the little ones to play in. Or maybe just some buckets that she can splash with on the deck.

Guest chasbrand

After dinner, perhaps even after you leave your stroller in the hallway, you and your baby could try bungee jumping off the boat. Also, for any of you that will go in the pool with your baby (diaper or not), if the baby does have an accident, you have now wreckedstopped use of the pool for everyone else. Thanks.

After dinner, perhaps even after you leave your stroller in the hallway, you and your baby could try bungee jumping off the boat. Also, for any of you that will go in the pool with your baby (diaper or not), if the baby does have an accident, you have now wreckedstopped use of the pool for everyone else. Thanks.

Ah yes, the ever elusive Cranky-old-fart that needs a nap!

Guest chasbrand

When one has to lower themselves to name calling, it shows you must be in the "gimme generation". Gimme this, and gimmee that, and the heck with everyone else. If someone with a 1 year old needs to take a cruise, how about trying the Disney line.

so have fun in the pool (just make sure she doesn't poop in it!)

Realizing you will need to get quite graphic (gross!), just how exactly is she going to "make sure she doesn't poop in it!". How is that best accomplished? How does one person, no matter who that person is, gain control over the muscle action of another person? That will be quite a feat there. Very interested to hear how that is done.

Archived