Cruise price reduced!

yoj13

Hi,

Although not new to cruising, for the Transatlantic on NCL Gem in December, we have used an American Travel Agent for the first time. However, since we booked the price has dropped considerably and I THINK I read somewhere that the original price paid can be reduced/altered. Now, its possible I may be completely wrong here and I have even dreamt the information above, but I would welcome any advice that may be relevant. Thank you - regards yoj

As long it is not price reduction due to a promotion, call or email your TA and they should be able to get the price reduced or an upgrade. If its a promotion for only new customers, then you stuck with your current price.

Hi,

Thank you so much for answering my query. On the website, there is no mention of the word 'promotion' so perhaps its been reduced to attract more interest. The only thing it does say is 'free upgrade on every booking. As you suggest, it is worth asking the question, at the very worst, they can only say no. Thank you so much. Regards - yoj

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to ask, if we cancel, do we get the deposit back in full. I was thinking, it could be an alternative to cancel and rebook. There is no way we don't want to go as we have booked 5 days in New York at the end of the cruise and an air ticket back to the UK. Regards - yoj

Should you cancel (outside of having cancellation insurance and acceptable reasons for cancellation):

You can get 100% back prior to final payment. After that, you will likely lose your initial deposit and the portion lost thereafter depends on how close you are to your sail date. NCL's terms and conditions clearly explain it.

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to ask, if we cancel, do we get the deposit back in full. I was thinking, it could be an alternative to cancel and rebook. There is no way we don't want to go as we have booked 5 days in New York at the end of the cruise and an air ticket back to the UK. Regards - yoj

If final payment hasn't been made, then you get a full refund for your deposit.

If it is a price reduction and not a special promotion, your TA should be able to get you a price reduction or an upgrade.

If you cancel and try to rebook, they won't honor the new price. Many people were doing it and NCL has now hardened their policy. Computers keep track of your names.

Happy Cruising

Hi,

Although not new to cruising, for the Transatlantic on NCL Gem in December, we have used an American Travel Agent for the first time. However, since we booked the price has dropped considerably and I THINK I read somewhere that the original price paid can be reduced/altered. Now, its possible I may be completely wrong here and I have even dreamt the information above, but I would welcome any advice that may be relevant. Thank you - regards yoj

Keep in mind that if you saw the price reduction on the TA's site it's always possible that they might not mention if it's avail only on new bookings. And NCL has gotten pretty good about hiding that info on their site also (in fine print). Let us know if it all works out for you.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade BUT;

What everyone has said is true for the US. There are differences however for the UK. You definitely need to check with your TA and let them know you are UK citizens to see if the answers remain the same. I seem to remember that deals for US citizens weren't allowed as well as non-refundable deposits.

Check with whoever is booking your trip for you. If you use a US credit card it may be different also, I really don't know. NCL will have the info though since you'll need to submit passport info anyway.

I hope I'm wrong about all this but you should definately check.

However things turn out, Have a great cruise.

If you booked through a US agency you should be able to get the reductions. Several onboard were able too and a few took advantage of the price drop earlier this week to upgarde to the AEs that dropped almost $1000 per person. Keep in mind final payment here is 9.19.2007. After that all bets are off. You might want to visit the roll call for this cruise and check with others on the same cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=454828

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade BUT;

What everyone has said is true for the US. There are differences however for the UK. You definitely need to check with your TA and let them know you are UK citizens to see if the answers remain the same. I seem to remember that deals for US citizens weren't allowed as well as non-refundable deposits.

Check with whoever is booking your trip for you. If you use a US credit card it may be different also, I really don't know. NCL will have the info though since you'll need to submit passport info anyway.

I hope I'm wrong about all this but you should definately check.

However things turn out, Have a great cruise.

The conditions vary depending on where the BOOKING is made, not on where you live.

If you have booked through a US TA then the deposit is refundable (up until final payment) and you would be eligible for price drops which are not lower prices for new bookings only.

For bookings in the UK deposits are non-refundable and I've no idea if price drops would be matched - never experienced a price drop on a UK booking.

Hello everyone.

Firstly, thank you to all who replied giving information. Here is the update,

unfortunately, it is not good news. Below, is the reply I have received from my TA who I have to say has been absolutely 100% professional.

I have spoken to NCL today about your booking and they will not allow me to cancel & rebook. You're booked under the Fare Code TGDAD. The fare code for the website price is PGSQ3. NCL says that PGSQ3 is for new bookings only. I have asked for an upgrade since they will not allow us to cancel & rebook and they told me no as well.

I have dealt with this issue far too many times lately, with no results. I believe NCL is breeding ill will to its customers. I really did try to assist, but NCL will not budge.

So, it seems its just one of those things, either cancel and get the deposit back (not that 1 cancelled booking would make any difference to NCL) or pay up and shut up as we say here in the UK!

Once again, thank you to all who helped with answers, it is very much appreciated. Best regards - yoj

They got me recently on the Hawaii cruise I have booked (with that same sort of price drop and no luck getting a discount). Don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the cruise. Please let us know if your TA has any luck getting the upgrade.

OK, looking for someone with more experience. I just checked the price on my 2 cruises on NCL and both have gone down $100/person. This price is still higher than what I paid through my online TA about 10 days ago. Should I expect some further discount fom my TA? If not the whole $400 maybe at least a percentage based on their charge vs the NCL fees? I left him a message so guess I'll just have to wait for him to call back.:confused:

Hi,

FAO mbisson.

I am sorry to report that NCL won't budge at all on anything even the upgrade. We are just debating whether to cancel. Final payment not made so we'll get our deposit back. NCL are advertising our category at $549 and our TA said we were going to cancel and rebook and they informed her they would just adjust the price back to the original booking price. How on earth they can alter advertised prices is beyond me. Still, you live and learn! Thanks again to everyone who has assisted me. Regards yoj

OK, looking for someone with more experience. I just checked the price on my 2 cruises on NCL and both have gone down $100/person. This price is still higher than what I paid through my online TA about 10 days ago. Should I expect some further discount fom my TA? If not the whole $400 maybe at least a percentage based on their charge vs the NCL fees? I left him a message so guess I'll just have to wait for him to call back.:confused:

It appears that many (if not most) of the present price reductions that NCL is doing are tied into "new bookings". It's good you left a message with the TA now it's probably best to just wait and see.

Hi,

FAO mbisson.

I am sorry to report that NCL won't budge at all on anything even the upgrade. We are just debating whether to cancel. Final payment not made so we'll get our deposit back. NCL are advertising our category at $549 and our TA said we were going to cancel and rebook and they informed her they would just adjust the price back to the original booking price. How on earth they can alter advertised prices is beyond me. Still, you live and learn! Thanks again to everyone who has assisted me. Regards yoj

Thant happened to me as well, the price got reduced with the promo code your Ta told you about for "new bookings" only and NCl would not reduce. A few weeks later the price went down again with a different code that did not restrict it to "new bookings" only and NCL reduced the rate. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Hi,

FAO mbisson.

I understand where you're coming from and we all like to get the best deal possible, but you and I are both getting exactly what we were when we booked, at the price we booked it for. If someone else gets it for less, good for them. If a better price comes up somewhere else (another cruise line perhaps) for a comparable cruise that I can get, I might cancel & book with them, but until that happens I'm wouldn't cancel just to spite NCL. But I will think long and hard before I book way in advance in the future. And in the mean time, I'll just watch the sales and hope a fare reduction comes up that I qualify for. If not, I'm still gonna have a good time.

If the price is higher than what your TA quoted you, you won't get a refund. The price needs to be lower than what you paid. Sounds as if your TA already rebated part or most of the commission to you, so there won't be much if anything left to discount.

Hi,

FAO mbisson.

You are in a tough position. Since you are in fact in the UK you should be booked under a UK contract. Your TA can not put up too much of a stink since they really should not have booked this cruise for you. Lucky you did book in the states at least you can get your deposit back if you decide not to join us.

cancel and book a week later or sooner

Wait a few days in between

If anyone even DARES to question you, tell them your business issues required you to cancel. A week later it cleared up. So you booked a new cruise. If they dont like it, call another cruiseline.

FAO garycarla.

I have to confess to having those thoughts as well but I don't know if I could do it. I'm not a good 'liar' (even little white ones) but it would take some courage on my part to do it. I still can't get over my TA comment about cancelling and rebooking and NCL would still charge the oringal price when clearly it says $549 on the web site (for our catergory cabin) Thanks for your reply. Best regards - yoj

I understand where you're coming from and we all like to get the best deal possible, but you and I are both getting exactly what we were when we booked, at the price we booked it for. If someone else gets it for less, good for them. If a better price comes up somewhere else (another cruise line perhaps) for a comparable cruise that I can get, I might cancel & book with them, but until that happens I'm wouldn't cancel just to spite NCL. But I will think long and hard before I book way in advance in the future. And in the mean time, I'll just watch the sales and hope a fare reduction comes up that I qualify for. If not, I'm still gonna have a good time.

By default, we booked with CCL for next years' cruise instead of NCL next year, because of price. Although I love, NCL's freestyle and the Dawn, I just couldn't see paying $400 more per person for a cruise that is 1 day less, to boot!!

CCL wins; NCL loses; this round! Brand loyalty can only go so far, and NCL could be pricing themselves right out of the market with their new policy.

Archived