Should we book Brilliance Greek Med Cruise?

After a weekend of deliberating, it looks like we are going to go for Med Greek Isles cruise on the Brilliance at the end of next July. We have got holds on some cabins an E1 and opposite inside for our 3 girls aged 16,14 and 12, now we need to choose between them. Both sets are in identical positions and price on Deck 9, but one set port, the other starboard. Which do you recommend? Also do you think we will like the ship as much as the Navigator- the kids loved the ice skating and rock wall? What is there in place of cafe Promenade for easy snacks? We are going to make our own flight arrangements from the UK, and fly to Barcelona a couple of days earlier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

After a weekend of deliberating, it looks like we are going to go for Med Greek Isles cruise on the Brilliance at the end of next July. We have got holds on some cabins an E1 and opposite inside for our 3 girls aged 16,14 and 12, now we need to choose between them. Both sets are in identical positions and price on Deck 9, but one set port, the other starboard. Which do you recommend? Also do you think we will like the ship as much as the Navigator- the kids loved the ice skating and rock wall? What is there in place of cafe Promenade for easy snacks? We are going to make our own flight arrangements from the UK, and fly to Barcelona a couple of days earlier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Its a lovely ship but quite different from Navigator, however you are going to be ashore quite a bit so will be a bit tired, not sure about the girls!

They do have a rock wall and an excellent Seaview cafe with pasta ,pizza and panninis that opens late.

Do not think the cabin positions are so important as you will be going round the islands.So either will benifit one time or another.

Done the Barcelona with Easyjet from Newcastle and it is excellent,register with them and they will send an email when flights open next year and you can get in cheaply,they are now charging £2 a bag when booking in online.

Hope this helps even tho we are Makems.

Anything else just ask.

If you want to do an excellent Greek Island cruise have you considered Ocean Village? I know it is non-formal but excellent value and you can fly from Newcastle to Crete. We went last month and loved it.

Good result yesterday, or did we lose 2 points?!

Makem: Thanks for the advice, won't hold being a Makem against you! We did look at the Independence, but we needed the two cabins opposite, and they aren't booking triples anyway. Easyjet from Newcastle is what we had in mind- I'm already registered so should receive info as soon as it goes on sale.

Janey: Thanks also for your help, Island were working out much more expensive. I take it that being from N Yorks you are red and white, not black and white- I think a draw was fair, but Mido has been treated very badly.

Anyway: our 5 has now become 12. Friends have decided to join us, will need to contact TA tomorrow.

Has anyone any advice on making group size bigger?

I don't like to put a damper on your plans but the story about 1/2 of Greece being on fire this weekend should be a concern to you. We have the Splendour booked for next May from Venice to Greece and am making sure the trip will be worth while with so much damage.

My advice is that if you're thinking about it, put a deposit down while you do. We were stunned last year how, after we booked in April 2006 for our Sept 2007 cruise, the prices crawled up steadily. Our room was $2599 each for a 12 nighter and now,the same room would cost over $5000 each.

Deposits are refundable, too.

My advice is that if you're thinking about it, put a deposit down while you do. We were stunned last year how, after we booked in April 2006 for our Sept 2007 cruise, the prices crawled up steadily. Our room was $2599 each for a 12 nighter and now,the same room would cost over $5000 each.

Deposits are refundable, too.

What class of cabin do you have? We have an E1 balcony on the sailing before you.

<edit> I just looked at the current pricing on the net, and see what you mean. We booked last year while on the Freedom, love the OBC.

I asked my TA this same type of question regarding our Med cruise, which side of the ship is best. He'd been before, so I was assured of a fairly accurate answer. He said there is no right or wrong answer, you won't know until you get to port which way the ship will be facing.

Personally, I think it only matters if you are up early enought to watch the approach into port. If that occurs later in the day, you can always go up to the top deck to watch.

We actually cancelled our cruise to Greece for next year--I felt they would be having many memorials at that time & just felt the spirit of holiday & celebration would be not be right at that time...guess it's a personal decision...you can always book it & see what happens

What class of cabin do you have? We have an E1 balcony on the sailing before you.

<edit> I just looked at the current pricing on the net, and see what you mean. We booked last year while on the Freedom, love the OBC.

It's a D1.

No recommendations regarding the cruise itself, but we spent a few days in Barcelona earlier this month and I highly recommend this hotel:

http://www.ciutathotels.com/EN/ch_barcelona.htm

It was our second time to Barcelona and I think this location can't be topped. The hotel is modern, as you can tell from the website. It's not super-luxurious but was very comfortable and we got a great rate (just over 100 Euro) even though we only booked a few weeks in advance. You might just want to bookmark the site.

Its a lovely ship but quite different from Navigator, however you are going to be ashore quite a bit so will be a bit tired, not sure about the girls!

They do have a rock wall and an excellent Seaview cafe with pasta ,pizza and panninis that opens late.

Do not think the cabin positions are so important as you will be going round the islands.So either will benifit one time or another.

Done the Barcelona with Easyjet from Newcastle and it is excellent,register with them and they will send an email when flights open next year and you can get in cheaply,they are now charging £2 a bag when booking in online.

Hope this helps even tho we are Makems.

Anything else just ask.

Brilliance is my favourite ship so far.....and yes, book the Greek cruise, friends of mine say Greece is the best of all, and the islands are great.

You can also get fairly good airfares on KLM Cityhopper. - I don't know what they charge for baggage. I flew from Amsterdam to the UK - but it was the last leg of a flight from Toronto, so luggage was included.

Fran in Toronto

Archived