Just off Pride of America - questions?

Latttelady

Hi - we aren't sailing till next June but I already feel the excitement.:D 1.)Did or does anyone have an Aft cabin? If so did you like it?

2.)Is the ship pretty empty on Luau night. We are going to be in Honolulu two days prior to sailing and thought we'd go to one there and then be able to relax and have a better chance at the Bistro for our Romantic dinner that night.

3.)Has anyone heard of or used the Roberts Tours company?

4.)One more is there any rule about taking breakfst from the Aloha Cafe in the morning back to your cabins to enjoy on the balcony???? :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

2) It seemed so and I had I thought it out would have tried to book Little Italy for that night. I don't think the Bistro was overly full any night but I could be wrong. By the way, if you like creme brulée, you have to try theirs. Heavenly.

3) We did 3 tours with Roberts and thought they were great. The tour guides were excellent and we went to the same places the much more expensive NCL tour did. It's also nice to know that they guarantee to get you back to the ship on time and they'll refund your money if you miss a port (like we did—no Kona:(). I highly recommend them.

4) Feel free to take your breakfast back and enjoy on your balcony.

As to the hairdryer, it was there and a good one, but it was set up at the TV hutch way across the room from the bathroom, which I thought rather odd.

Have a fantastic trip:D

My name is Tim and I will be sailing on the Pride of America on November 17, 2007 with my girlfiriend and her family. We have read a lot about this ship and NCL in general.

Many of the reviews stated that the ship was dirty and the service and food were terrible. What have you all experienced on this ship?

Thanks in advance for all of your comments.

Can you give an idea of the times that you are required to be back on the ship at the different ports? I don't want to rent a car if we have to be back on the ship by 1pm. Thanks.

Passengers need to be on the ship 30 min for departure so for the week:

Honolulu-on at 730 for 8pm dept

Hilo-530 for 6pm dept

Maui Monday-overnight

maui day 2-530 for 6pm departure

Kona-5pm-530

Kauai thursday-overnight

Kauai day 2-on at 1:30 for 2pm dept.

The gangways are open 24/7 on the overnights.

James

My name is Tim and I will be sailing on the Pride of America on November 17, 2007 with my girlfiriend and her family. We have read a lot about this ship and NCL in general.

Many of the reviews stated that the ship was dirty and the service and food were terrible. What have you all experienced on this ship?

Thanks in advance for all of your comments.

Try looking up some photos on flickr of the ships rooms. I think you will find the ship to be beautiful in great condition.

J

edit-click on the blog link that I attached in my signature, I have some photos on there of the ship taken over the last few weeks.

Thanks Jade -

Again I couldn't figure out that if you have this great balcony and are disappointed with the room service food why not just take the food from Aloha back to the room and enjoy the balcony I'm glad to hear that we'll be able to do it!!! I love cream brulee yum!! I'll keep it in mind!!!! Still excited about the trip!!

Passengers need to be on the ship 30 min for departure so for the week:

Honolulu-on at 730 for 8pm dept

Hilo-530 for 6pm dept

Maui Monday-overnight

maui day 2-530 for 6pm departure

Kona-5pm-530

Kauai thursday-overnight

Kauai day 2-on at 1:30 for 2pm dept.

The gangways are open 24/7 on the overnights.

James

Thank you so much! You don't know how happy I am to see this information!!! :D

My husband and I are looking into sailing on Pride of America, and have some questions that relate to his blindness. First of all, did anybody notice if the cabin doors were Brailled with the cabin number? And how about elevator buttons - are they Brailled as well?

Did anyone cruise with any dog guides aboard? We travel with Hugo, my husband's Seeing Eye dog, and are always curious about the relief area that will be provided for him. Celebrity's area was great - a 4 x 4 box of wood chips that was on the outside at the end of our hallway, tucked away from other passengers but easily accessible to us.

If anybody has any information about accessibility for those who are blind, I'd really appreciate hearing about it!

Thanks in advance.

My husband and I are looking into sailing on Pride of America, and have some questions that relate to his blindness. First of all, did anybody notice if the cabin doors were Brailled with the cabin number? And how about elevator buttons - are they Brailled as well?

Did anyone cruise with any dog guides aboard? We travel with Hugo, my husband's Seeing Eye dog, and are always curious about the relief area that will be provided for him. Celebrity's area was great - a 4 x 4 box of wood chips that was on the outside at the end of our hallway, tucked away from other passengers but easily accessible to us.

If anybody has any information about accessibility for those who are blind, I'd really appreciate hearing about it!

Thanks in advance.

I know this has nothing to do with the Pride of America but I noticed all the signs were brailled on the Liberty of the Seas. Kids seem to want to touch everything and I rembmer my son asking about it. There was a service dog on our sailing and I was wondering were he went to the bathroom and how he knew that the area was his for the using. He was soooo cute.

Try looking up some photos on flickr of the ships rooms. I think you will find the ship to be beautiful in great condition.

J

edit-click on the blog link that I attached in my signature, I have some photos on there of the ship taken over the last few weeks.

Thanks for the info. Pictures look great. If you're still going to be on the ship in November, let me know and I'll try to say hi. Do you usually rotate which restaurant you work in?

We are cruising by POA in December. Should we book the onshore excursions ahead of time? We heard that popular ones are normally sold out even before the cruis starts. Is that correct? What are good excursions for Hawaii? Thanks.

I know this has nothing to do with the Pride of America but I noticed all the signs were brailled on the Liberty of the Seas. Kids seem to want to touch everything and I rembmer my son asking about it. There was a service dog on our sailing and I was wondering were he went to the bathroom and how he knew that the area was his for the using. He was soooo cute.

I have read somewhere, and can't remember the cruise line, but apparently they know beforehand when a blind person will be traveling with their guide dog. The line provides a grassy area on the balcony for the dog. I would feel more comfortable taking those bags from the dog park and clean up after him myself, though. I have never personally seen anyone on any of our cruises with a guide dog and really haven't noticed anything in braille.

I have a question...we will be sailing the PoAM in December and I have a door sign that I'd like to put on the door. Does anyone remember if the doors are metal or do they have a laminate outside?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, doors of cabins are Braillled, as I do recall noticing it. I do not recal or can I help with the elevator or Hugo's issues. Maybe they could be discussed with NCL directly, no? Have fun, whatever you do.

I'm curious how many electric outlets are in the cabins. We have a balcony cabin on Deck 7.

Have cruised Carnival before, and are used to just one outlet. We usually bring an extension cord so we can get more use out of it.

Thanks,

Suzy

There was a desk w/chair by the TV/fridg/sitting area. It is adequate in size to do a bit of work, if you must. There are two 3-prong outlets which I found adequate for my needs at the desk. I recharged an ipod, cell phone, shaver and a laptop, alternating between the two plugs. There is also a blow-dryer right there (strange location, but probably because there are no outlets in the bathroom. I don't recall if it could be unplugged, or the TV for that matter. In any event, two outlets for sure. I brought an expetnsion cord thinking I would need it, ended up leaving it in the room for the next occupant. (I also, left a cold bottle of wine I couldn't get to, w/a note in the frig!)

There is also a coffee pot which uses its own outlet on the other side of the cabin, near the closet, maybe it can be unplugged for another outlet, I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Not only are the room labels and the elevator buttons Brailled, but the elevators ding before they open so you know it's coming. I admit that it's a large bank, there is only one "dinger," and it's hard to figure out which one is going to open so it's really not as helpful as it could be.

I think the restaurants have menus in Braille too, available on request. Ohio Cruiser, who's on board NOW, can probably fill you in on the doggy potty and other things of interest...

I had a wonderful, fabulous time on PoAmerica, and I was there when the rains were so bad almost every single one of our excursions were cancelled and roads were impassable. It didn't make me love the cruise any less, it made me feel the need to do it again!

Jana

• Administrators
We are cruising by POA in December. Should we book the onshore excursions ahead of time? We heard that popular ones are normally sold out even before the cruis starts. Is that correct? What are good excursions for Hawaii? Thanks.

Hi! Hawaii is amazing and with a little homework ahead of time, you should be able to have a wonderful trip! Visit the Hawaii Ports of Call board here at Cruise Critic for trip planning information -- it's a great community of very helpful people full of the aloha spirit. I'd advise you to do a little research ahead of time -- figure out what you want to do on what island (snorkeling, garden excursions, hiking, ziplining, surfing, helicopter, etc.). Hawaii has literally thousands of options. A good place to start is with the excursions offered by your ship -- figure out what you are interested in, then google to see who else offers similar tours in Hawaii, and don't overlook renting a car and doing it yourself as an option to investigate. That background research will help you focus your questions and get the most helpful advice. Have a wonderful time planning your Hawaiian vacation! :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi - I would order room service instead of dashing out to the buffet inorder to enjoy the balcony. You have order sheets in your room already and you can fill them out - hang them on the door before going to sleep - let themknow what time you want it and Voila! they knock on your door, you don't have to even be out of your jammies ---doesn't get much better than that. But if you did want to bring something back - noone will stop you with a plate of food so enjoy! As far as the luau goes - try taking one from a local company it might be bette than the one on NCL costly and way too many people. There was a token "pig" but we didn't get to eat it, Ithink it went to the small in next door to the pavilion! We did the Pearl harbor tour which was great through the Marriot but I am sure you can do it through another company.

Jay tax - yes there are hairdryers - so don't pack one...

Archived