confused about jamaica

ocean waves

we'll be sailing in april '08 and we were looking forward to spending time in jamaica but a lot of posts are very negative about being safe there. so is this a port where you want to just stay on the ship? i would prefer not to as i would like to take in new sights.

The big thing is (as you've probably picked up from looking around here) is that some people are very pushy about trying to sell you stuff- anything from souvenirs to drugs.

But..if you want to get off the ship, IMO, I'd say go for it, just be careful. When we did Jamaica, we stuck with a ship excursion, and had no problems. We went to Dunns River Falls- if you go there, leave by the entrance and you'll avoid the vendors. We also did Dolphin Cove and had no problem with vendors there- though it is a little expensive. I would have hated to stay on the ship, but that's just me.

I was apprehensive about going to Jamaica but when we went last February we had no problems at all. We booked an excursion though the cruise ship instead of exploring on our own. Our excursion consisted of taking a jeep safari and seeing Fern Gully, stopping at a plantation, snacking on fresh fruit while at the plantation, driving to Dunn River Falls and then going back to the ship. It was a very enjoyable trip and we got to do some sightseeing (better than staying on the ship.) We were not harrassed by vendors and we felt pretty safe.

Have a fun trip.

I have read about the dangers also but I am not going to let that stop me from seeing things in Ocho Rios. I know most people on here rave about using local people rather than the ships excursions. And I agree it would probably be nicer but being first time cruisers I think we will just use the ship excursion and go with the flow.....most likely a BIG flow ;) I am looking at the Coyaba River Gardens /Dunn's Falls tour. I have read all about Dunns River but need to read about the Coyaba River Gardens.

I have dial up and I tell ya, the RCI site is really slow so I haven't looked at all the tours yet. 4 weeks to go and I am getting nervous but also excited !

If you book a private tour with one of the tour operators that are often recommended here, you will be quite safe, as they take great care of you and know the areas and vendors to avoid. We used Phil Lafayette and had zero apprehension. He made sure to tell us how to avoid the aggressive vendors at the top of Dunn'a Falls, for example.

Ship's tours are another way to stay safe. (Though one was held up recently). I think it's mostly wandering around on your own that's iffy, especially outside the tourist areas.

My son and I will also be on the Liberty in April. One of the main reasons I booked it was BECAUSE of the stop in Jamaica. I took my son to Jamaica for 4 nights two years ago, and we both loved it. We are looking forward to stopping in the port and saying hello to Jamaica again. We are considering either purchasing daypasses for Beaches Boscobel All-inclusive, or else going to Dunn's River Falls.

What lynncarol said.

River tubing and climbing the falls in Ocho Rios was the highlight of our Western Carribean cruise. Jumping off the river bank was a huge blast. We would do it again in a heartbeart.

We were the first customers of the day in the craft market at the top of the falls and spent 45 minutes looking around and buying souvenirs. We chatted it up with the vendors, asked them about their families, what type of wood they used, etc. and wheeled and dealed with them.

I think maybe it was because we were the first ones through the market that morning that we did not get hassled or feel intimidated. Many of the vendors were still setting up. Perhaps when the crowds come through, they are more agressive - I don't know?

We honeymooned in Ocho Rios at the Jamaica Grande 20 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our outings to the straw market. Perhaps that put us more at ease - not sure.

Regardless, IMHO, I think would be missing some great excusions if you stayed on the ship in Ocho Rios.

If you are interested in some video footage of our excursions in OchoRios, click on the youtube link in the link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621814

• 5 weeks later...

We were the first customers of the day in the craft market at the top of the falls and spent 45 minutes looking around and buying souvenirs. We chatted it up with the vendors, asked them about their families, what type of wood they used, etc. and wheeled and dealed with them.

I think this is the key. You stopped and talked with the vendors. So many people try to run by and not make eye contact or acknowledge the vendors at all. I find that it is very enjoyable to stop and chat a bit while looking at their wares - the Jamaican people are very warm and friendly. Yes, they can be agressive when trying to sell their items to the hordes of cruise ship passengers who are only in the market for a few moments, but I have found that eye contact and a firm no thank you (if, indeed, I am not interested) has always worked well for me.

BTW, for those who are worried about their safety. I have stayed in Jamaica several times, the last time by myself (a 40 something woman) and never felt unsafe. In fact, I found that the Jamaican people went out of their way to make sure I was alright and knew where I was going - especially when I was alone.

My family and I stayed a week in Jamaica two years ago and it is the vacation that we still talk about. It was so relaxing and the people are so kind. Remember, that there is a lot of religious influence and people should dress modestly while walking around town if they want respect.

We found the vendors at Dunns River Falls to be the least pleasant and the most expensive. I would avoid them, JMHO. If your tour guide is amiable, I would request a drive through Fern Gulley. It is absolutely breathtaking and there is a craft market along the way with much better prices.

Also, I would never miss a chance to stop at a local jerk stand to eat. They may not look like much but, I found them to be exceptionally clean and the food to be awesome. I have never had a baked potato that was so good. (How do you even improve on a baked potato? I don't know but, it needed absolutely nothing on it.) A meal including Red Stripe, rum & cokes usually was $15 for six people. Now that is amazing!:D

Jamaica is wonderful,

My family and I had a great time in Jamaica...it was our favorite stop. We went with Peat Taylor http://www.peattaylor.com. He got us to the dunn river falls first and we paid an extra $15. ea to do a river tour which was fantastic. There was only our family of five and another couple. We had the river to ourselves. Our guide sang to us the whole way and helped us from getting stuck on the rocks. It was a way better experience than going through the cruiseline.

We also walked around Ochos Rios and had no one ask us to buy drugs.

Enjoy Jamaica, it's fun...just pick a tour that other people have suggested and you'll be fine.

Archived