Compass says take your passport?

I'm still a little confused. If a PP is not yet required by the U.S. for a cruise in the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Mexico how can they require a PP if that guest didn't need one to get on the ship to begin with. I'm not debating the value of having a PP just that fact that RCI will let you check in without a PP until the end of the year. I guess unless you check with RCI in advance you wan't know the truth.

I'm still a little confused. If a PP is not yet required by the U.S. for a cruise in the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Mexico how can they require a PP if that guest didn't need one to get on the ship to begin with. I'm not debating the value of having a PP just that fact that RCI will let you check in without a PP until the end of the year. I guess unless you check with RCI in advance you wan't know the truth.

Just because a passport isn't required by the U.S. doesn't mean that the country your visiting won't require it to let you back out of their country. Some folks here have even mentioned that they needed it to get back on the pier or "out" of the country they were visiting.

I understand your not one of these folks, but I am constantly amazed at the big deal people make about passports. They would rather haul around frail little paper birth certificates that are in some cases can't be replaced (or certainly not easily) than have a passport with them. I'm also amazed at how people feel that their passport is their "life." Yes, it's an important document you don't want to loose, but it actually has less information on it than most driver's licenses. If you travel to Europe it is such a non-deal to have your passport on you at any given time.

Anymore I use my passport as ID whenever I fly, even domestically. I have been stopped in California at a security line and watched as the TSA official tried to peal away the plastic on my license and look at it like it was a license from Mars. In fact, it was a license from VA and she just wasn't that familar with it and I guess questioned if it was fake. When you whip out a U.S. Passport though, they hardly even read it, they just tell you to keep going. I have had this work the other way though, they see a passport and can't seem to understand why you have one for your ID, but are flying domestic :)

In 13 Caribbean cruises I have never seen in the compass or similar papers that you have to carry proof of citizenship off the ship with you.

Sue, one example off the top of my head would be the Bahamas. You are required to show proof of citizenship before you are allowed to reboard the ship.

And if you don't have a passport, you better have photo ID AND a birth certificate. I've been there three times just this year.

Sue, one example off the top of my head would be the Bahamas. You are required to show proof of citizenship before you are allowed to reboard the ship.

And if you don't have a passport, you better have photo ID AND a birth certificate. I've been there three times just this year.

We have always left our birth certificates and now passports tucked away in the safe on board. We have been to the Bahamas several times and never were required to have it or show it. The Bahama ones were several years ago so maybe they have changed it.

Just because a passport isn't required by the U.S. doesn't mean that the country your visiting won't require it to let you back out of their country. Some folks here have even mentioned that they needed it to get back on the pier or "out" of the country they were visiting.

I understand your not one of these folks, but I am constantly amazed at the big deal people make about passports. They would rather haul around frail little paper birth certificates that are in some cases can't be replaced (or certainly not easily) than have a passport with them. I'm also amazed at how people feel that their passport is their "life." Yes, it's an important document you don't want to loose, but it actually has less information on it than most driver's licenses. If you travel to Europe it is such a non-deal to have your passport on you at any given time.

Anymore I use my passport as ID whenever I fly, even domestically. I have been stopped in California at a security line and watched as the TSA official tried to peal away the plastic on my license and look at it like it was a license from Mars. In fact, it was a license from VA and she just wasn't that familar with it and I guess questioned if it was fake. When you whip out a U.S. Passport though, they hardly even read it, they just tell you to keep going. I have had this work the other way though, they see a passport and can't seem to understand why you have one for your ID, but are flying domestic :)

Actually most countries on Caribbean itineraries do not require Americans to have passports. The main thrust behind the new passport requirements are U.S. government requirements for everyone entering and leaving the U.S. to have a passport.

In Europe, as a traveller you may not even have your passport with you. On land trips they are retained by your hotel in certain countries. There are European and Med cruises where the ship will retain your passport and so on.

The new passports have a heck of a lot more info imbedded in them than before. A passport used to be what it's name implied - a travel document. Nowadays and in future, it has become more than that.

We've also been to the Bahamas several times but have never needed a passport or birth certificate to reboard the ship. It is, however, one of the few destinations where ship passengers must complete a tourist visa.

They can't make you bring passports to port if you don't have any and its not required for checkin. We will just bring seapass and photo id, because we dont have passports yet as they are not required.

We agree, that the whole issue seems strange. If the "they" you refer to is the authorities of the country the ship is visiting, be assured, that they can do just about whatever they want to do. Most countries have special agreements with the cruise lines that could be revoked if the political winds blew in the wrong direction.

We suspect it was just a misprint in the Cruise Compass. On all the cruises we've been on either a passport or other government issued photo ID was sufficient.

I have just read the Compasses posted for Freedom. On port days the Compass directs folks to take thier Sea Pass, photo id and proof of citizenship, passports. I have never seen this on any of 14 cruises. I do NOT want to take my passport off the ship. I will make copies of the id pages to take. We've always been advised a drivers license was sufficient. I don't see how RCI can require this as the passport "rules" have been pushed back yet again. Has anyone else encountered this?

again with this topic. . go ahead ... be a putz. go to a foreign country without the one document that is your link to the US embassy in an emergency. it aint a driver license or a xerox... IT'S A PASSPORT!

I was also on the Explorer in June and they checked our seapass and Photo ID in every port before we re-boarded. We even had to show them in the pouring rain in Puerto Rico (after being in a long line). The compass said to bring your seapass card and government issued photo ID (i.e. passport or driver's license). I took my passport because I feel that is what they are for.

Quote "We have always left our birth certificates and now passports tucked away in the safe on board. We have been to the Bahamas several times and never were required to have it or show it."

The reason you have a passport is not because a country in the Caribbean makes you show it, it's so you can get your butt out and back to the US if you have to.

Your choice, I take it when in a foreign country, that's what it's for.

The recent edocs we just got state that you should have your passport with you in case you miss the ship or some other event happens requiring you to stay behind, fly on to another port, or to fly home. Nothing about leaving them on the ship because they aren't required to reboard.

Freedom’s compass says proof of citizenship which can be a birth certificate or a passport. If it is the BC you will need to bring a photo ID. This is to get back into the port area, not back on the ship. RCI has nothing to do with this other than communicate the requirements of the ports.

If you are told to have it and they don’t check, so what. If you are told have it and you don’t and they check, you’ve got yourself a problem.

Why is this so hard? :rolleyes:

Why is America the only place in the world where it's citizens have a perception we can travel to any other country we want too with a Drivers License and our Credit Card and that country must accept us because we have $$$ in our pocket. I guess when we start hearing of passenger being detained and missing the ship others will get the message. Of course they will scream about there "RIGHTS" being violated.

About 15 years ago traveling with a group one guy broke his leg while horseback riding in Jamacia when the only travel documents required on ships then was as simple as a Voters ID. He spent over 4 hours in the embassy getting temporary documents before a hospital would treat him. Fortuantely he had the cast and back on board before we sailed because he was told he could not leave Jamacia by any other means than by the ship. We applied for a PP immediately on our return.

We like the other poster said, use PP for domestic travel. The TSA is familiar with that form of ID over 52 different forms of ID. I know we have only 50 states but we do have PR & Virgin Islands.

I think that some people might feel they are "off the grid" or not in the "system" if they don't get a passport. Little do they know just how on the government's grid they are. There also may be a little fear over getting one because some folks are familar with passports. I think that to some folks, a passport is something needed by people who travel the world constantly.

When did a State driver's license become "proof of citizenship"?

When I take my passport off with me, I protect it more than my credit cards. If someone steals it, that's homeland security's problem to catch them trying to use it. I'll get back on the ship and discuss it with the custom's official in Miami, not with someone who has difficulty with english at some third world airport.

It is totally ignorant to leave your passport on board or in a hotel room when in a foreign country. If anything went wrong (accident, illness etc) you would have a real problem.Wear a money belt if your concern is about loss or theft, Dont wear a neck pouch that a thief could grab and run. When in the Peace Corps in 1991-93 in Lesotho we had to carry 2 passports. At that time many countrys wouldnt let you in if you had a South Africa stamp in your passport so we used one for African travel and the other for Europe and the Middle East, etc.. Both of them fit in a money belt. I dont understand people attitude about this matter at all . In this day , and time it doesnt make sence.

A coworker of mine was on the Freedom last September. The only thing she needed to show to security was the Seapass card and a photo ID. It was not government officials for the island that needed to see this - it was port security. Once onboard RCCL security will run your seapass card through a machine and identify you by the picture that appears on their screen.

When did a State driver's license become "proof of citizenship"?

When I take my passport off with me, I protect it more than my credit cards. If someone steals it, that's homeland security's problem to catch them trying to use it. I'll get back on the ship and discuss it with the custom's official in Miami, not with someone who has difficulty with english at some third world airport.

Ironically the customs official I encountered in Miami had more difficulty with English than anyone I encountered in the countries I visited :p

I am a Canadian and on each cruise I have taken, my passport has been held at the pursers desk for the duration of the cruise. It was returned on the last night of the cruise. On EOS in Nov 2005, all non-US citizens had to surrender passports for the duration of the trip, presumably for customs and immigration purposes.

Here is my question, if the ship has my passport, do I also need to bring an additional proof of citizenship document at ports where this is required? I have a birth certificate but I'm not sure how security at a Caribbean port would know that a birth certificate issued by the province of Ontario is valid.

At ports requiring photo ID, how do I show photo ID for my kids when the ship has thier passports too?

I am a Canadian and on each cruise I have taken, my passport has been held at the pursers desk for the duration of the cruise. It was returned on the last night of the cruise. On EOS in Nov 2005, all non-US citizens had to surrender passports for the duration of the trip, presumably for customs and immigration purposes.

Here is my question, if the ship has my passport, do I also need to bring an additional proof of citizenship document at ports where this is required? I have a birth certificate but I'm not sure how security at a Caribbean port would know that a birth certificate issued by the province of Ontario is valid.

At ports requiring photo ID, how do I show photo ID for my kids when the ship has thier passports too?

You don't have to surrender your passport to the cruise line. They keep it to speed up immigration matters when the ship docks. You can keep your passport but will be required to present yourself and your documentation early in the morning when immigration officials board the ship. If those officals are on time, great. But if they aren't you may miss your tender and your shore excursion if you happen to be a non-citizen waiting for approval to disembark.:(

Catch 22..you happen to be at their mercy...I always take mine with me. The DH is an Australian citizen and he takes his chances, keeps his, and turns up for immigration himself.

Are some people not mature or smart enough to make their own decision about taking their passports?

"The CD didn't say..." "The Compass didn't say..." "No one asked to see it..."

The passport is your ID that you are a US citizen... currently visiting in a foreign country. I agree about non-US citizens getting their passports back, I've seen it happen with British tablemates. They were not going to go ashore in Mexico or any other country without their passports.

You will need your passport if you miss the ship for any reason.

I am Canadian - I was immediately put on my parent's passports when I was born, then when I turned 16 - I was allowed to get my own. I have had one ever since. We travelled a lot during my childhood & I needed one. So, I have always had a passport.

I don't understand why a lot of Americans do not want a passport or think that they don't need one. The cost of ours was $87 (last I checked) - is yours hundreds of dollars or something? I just don't get it. In these present times we live in - I think it is RIDICULOUS not to have one.

To the poster (sorry, can't remember their name) that had to surrender their passport - I have been on Princess, RCCL, NCL & Celebrity in the past five years & NEVER was asked to surrender my passport to the Purser's Desk. I have been required to in the past - but that was a LONG time ago - 1988 was the last time they asked for it (& it was only RCCL that did it). We have had to present ourselves on the ship to the Immigration officers when they board. Now, I am not saying that you didn't give up your passport - I am thinking that you did so of your own accord or perhaps I didn't read your post correctly and this was done on a European cruise as opposed to a Caribbean cruise?

I remember when I travelled with an American friend and she, of course, was called to the US citizen's line-up to board the ship and all she had was her Voter's Card, with no photo or anything and she boarded the ship. That amazed me! Here I was in the non-US line-up with my passport and she didn't even have Photo ID!

On our recent cruises, we have shown our passport and our ship's card at every port to get back on. We have also been body searched many times (several ports in Hawaii and Santa Barbara, as well). Security is very tight nowadays. I don't know which cruises the OP has been on - but I find it VERY hard to believe that he/she were able to get through ANY port security without proof of citizenship along with photo ID.

Anyways - EVERYONE should have a passport - JMHO, of course:D

Canuck

Archived