Posing for Cruise Pictures with Others - Do you feel comfortable?

SANDPEBBLES

I remember looking through a CC member's links from the Pearl Transatlantic last year and there were pictures of various public rooms on the ship. In one of the pictures of the atrium (just a general picture to show the atrium, not focused on anyone in particular) I saw my mom and I sitting in the background. I found it funny but I could see how some people may have issues with pictures with them in it posted online without their consent, especially if it's an unflattering picture! I also think it would be very difficult to avoid a situation like the one I was in because when you're on a cruise ship people are always taking pictures.

I can totally understand the OP. Anytime I cruise and meet up with cruisecritics I always do not mind taking pictures with them. I do however ask them not to post any pics of me or identify me on the internet. If they are taking one to post, then I just do not get into the picture. So far they all have been respectful of my request and I do not think any of them were offended.

I explain it as it is. I live in a small region. I just can not afford to be photographed with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and someone else's husband in the other...hahahaha!

Seriously, I like being Coka and I like the mystery. A published photo to me just ruins the fun.

Coka

Just wanted to post a note to thank all of you for providing input.

Michellp, I think we may have seen the same cruise message board, or perhaps there are more than one. For me, it was an eye-opener. Enough said on that subject.

There is absolutely no way to control what happens to internet pictures once they are taken. I think we all agree on that. The question I posed had more to do with finding a polite way to decline being in a CC photo. (Of course, I know we can all end up in the background with cameras going all the time.)

Anyway, I'm glad the issue received some thought and discussion. Hopefully, fellow cruisers won't be offended if one chooses to step away from the camera at Cruise Critic Meet and Greet events or CC Dinners.

I have always enjoyed socializing with others who love to cruise and never gave the internet photographs much thought until recently. I was hesitant to bring up the subject but am now glad I did.

Thanks, everyone. Wishing all of you the best time ever on your next cruise! :)

• Administrators
Just wanted to post a note to thank all of you for providing input.

Michellp, I think we may have seen the same cruise message board, or perhaps there are more than one. For me, it was an eye-opener. Enough said on that subject.

There is absolutely no way to control what happens to internet pictures once they are taken. I think we all agree on that. The question I posed had more to do with finding a polite way to decline being in a CC photo. (Of course, I know we can all end up in the background with cameras going all the time.)

Anyway, I'm glad the issue received some thought and discussion. Hopefully, fellow cruisers won't be offended if one chooses to step away from the camera at Cruise Critic Meet and Greet events or CC Dinners.

I have always enjoyed socializing with others who love to cruise and never gave the internet photographs much thought until recently. I was hesitant to bring up the subject but am now glad I did.

Thanks, everyone. Wishing all of you the best time ever on your next cruise! :)

The same to you, Sandpebbles! I hope you got enough good suggestions for some polite "sleight of hand" to help you avoid the situation without making a big deal of it. :)

Of course, everyone realizes that people can take pictures of you all day without you even realizing they are doing it. And, if you did happen to notice the active shutterbug shooting you, you can ASK them not to post on the internet or in the newspaper or on TV, but you can not stop them.

You know this, right?

I had a situation several years ago, where I took a picture of my wife standing on the deck with her sail-a-way drink. In the background, was another CC member bending over to pick up something. Well, I posted the pictures of our cruise, including this one, and I got a REAL nasty email from this lady about the picture. Her face wasn't visable, but she was very insistant that I take the picture off of the website. I cropped the picture and reposted it without her in it. Funny, no one, except maybe her and her family would have known it was her................

Of course, everyone realizes that people can take pictures of you all day without you even realizing they are doing it. And, if you did happen to notice the active shutterbug shooting you, you can ASK them not to post on the internet or in the newspaper or on TV, but you can not stop them.

You know this, right?

I believe SANDPEBBLES is aware that people take pictures and sometimes people end up in the background. The difference in what you and others have said and what she's talking about is posing purposefully for a photo that is then posted to the internet and her name is mentioned as being in the photo. If she ends up in the background of some random family's picture and it's then posted on the internet, she won't be identified and no one would know who it is. I believe she's saying that she doesn't want to be in a group photo that could be posted on the internet that identifies who she is because you never know who will take that information and abuse it. Many of you act as if it's unheard of for grown adults to be so childish as to comment on someone's looks or something about their family or something they've accomplished. But it happens and those people are bullies. A bully will be that childish and hide behind their computer when they do it. If you confronted those types of people in their real lives, I'm sure they'd cower like babies. I'm not afraid to tell someone what I think of them to their face. But as many of us have seen...those childish idiots exist. Thankfully they aren't here. :)

SANDPEBBLES...I think it's perfectly fine to step aside when the issue of taking a photo comes up. If someone has an issue with it, that's probably not the kind of person you'd want to know anyway. ;)

Picture taking (in public) can always be a "sticky" situation.

Years ago, I planned a surprise anniversary party for DW at Windows on the World at the WTC/NY.

I had a camera with me and started to take pictures as the guests arrived..I was immediately approached by management..."no pictures allowed"

We assumed it was due to the fact that some persons there my not be with there SO but someone else and would not want to be caught on camera:eek:

People (meaning well) and posting their pictures on the internet perhaps should view the people in the background before posting the pictures...you never know;)

I am not replying to start an arguement, but it is really no ones business why the original poster is concerned about the picture being on the internet.

It is very easy to say, I don't wish to have my picture taken. No explanation is required.

Ditto. That's the essence of what I planned to post. Nicely said.

Yes, I agree it is easy to say "I don't wish to have my picture taken". And that would be it.

And, if someone said that when I was taking pictures, I would honor their request and not ask why.

But, since we are having a discussion about the topic, some of us are wondering why the concern about online photos. Just a discussion is all. And if certain posters do not want to answer or share their reasons, that is fine as well.

I agree that there's no harm in asking why someone would prefer not to have their picture taken with a group of relative strangers. (Yes, on CC we do in many ways get to "know" each other, but you know what I mean.) It's only natural to be curious about it. As long as you're okay with a response of "because I don't want to do it," then no sweat. It's when others (not you) get kind of "defensive" about it and almost demand to know what's "wrong" with a person who doesn't want to have a group picture that I think responses go over the line of courtesy. (And honestly, I think comments like "what, are you in the witness protection program" or "do you have a secret identity" are subtle ways of trying to push for a more detailed answer. However, I also realize they are possibly only made in jest. Still, what if someone is in the witness protection program? Are they going to say, "Why yes I am and my real name is Jimmy Hoffa"?);)

Anyway, whatever the reason, many of us prefer not to pose for pictures with virtual strangers. Just as many of us prefer not to spend 2 hours at dinner with people we don't know whom the cruise line has chosen for us. That doesn't mean we don't truly enjoy meeting and getting to know new friends in more casual situations and in our own time. (Slightly OT. There's only been one time we dined with strangers whom we totally "clicked" with on the first night. We closed the joint (train dining room, not cruise ship; it wasn't "set" dining, so it was just luck of the draw and only for that meal). We ended up spending the next day and a half together and recently spent a few days traveling together. I'm happy to say it was one of those rare and lovely times where we almost felt as if we'd known each other for years.):)

Heck though, we get annoyed enough with the ship photographers wanting to take our picture every 10 minutes. Oh, I know, I'll just say that we're a "famous celebrity couple incognito and don't want to be mobbed by fans or paparazzi.":p Think that might work?:D

beachchick

I agree, there is no problem saying you wish to not be in a picture; I would hope no one would have a problem with it. Best of luck.

On a side note, the following post made me LOL: :D

I believe that you are greatly overreacting. You will always be in the background in pictures taken on vacation.

However, if you have a real problem w being in someone elses pictures, you could wear a mask and claim that you are Superman.

DON

Hi SANDPEBBLES,

What an interesting and thought provoking thread you started.

When I was on the Pearl this past year I took loads of pics at all the CC functions (group dinners, bowling, CC get togethers) along with all the ship photos and posted them all on my Webshots page. I even tried to include as many CC'ers' screen names as I possibly could for each shot's captions. Others have done the same including short videos of the various activities and I've viewed their albums as well. At the time I thought it would enhance the CC reviews and show what a great time everyone was having.

However, I, too, have now seen pictures of some CC'ers posted with all kinds of comments and insults thrown around about how people looked, about their weight, etc.

Of course, if I take pics of the lobby and there are people sitting there in the background, I feel that really can't be helped.

So now that SANDPEBBLES brought this up, I've decided it might be better to take a different approach next time and stick to pictures of the ship and any group shots people might be interested in (and only those who wish to be in the picture need be).

I'll pretty much leave the photo snapping to others.

I was a carefree cruiser regarding posing for photographs until I saw the abusive comments posted by cruise companions on another message board. (Of course, they are free to do what they like. No one is interested in trying to police the impossible.)

Snorklin'Barb, you have always been a fantastic person with whom to cruise. Anyone posing for your camera can feel completely at ease. (I can say this because I know you.) You should not change anything that you do!

Hopefully, this thread has provided a way for all of us to address the reason why some might decline from appearing in a group shot. No one wants to be impolite or ruin the festive atmosphere. I think everyone has agreed to be understanding if someone doesn't want to pose with the group.

Those who are snapping pictures should have fun doing it. If a person wants to step away from a posed CC picture, I hope that our cruising friends will understand and not take the decision personally.

Don't change anything that you do, Barb! People will speak up if they don't want to be in the webshot. That has been the advice given by many who have posted responses on this thread.

Glad you had fun on the QM2. Just read your insightful blurbs on the Gem Roll Call boards. Well written and entertaining - as always! :)

Archived