Is a suite still a suite?

TLA

We just booked a verandah suite on the Zaandam for November. At least, it is called a suite in the brochure. However, on the website, HAL is calling the A, B and BB categories "verandah outside" rather than "suite". Is this new? Does this mean we will not be getting the suite amenities?

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

You are NOT going to get the suite amenities unless you are in Category S -Deluxe Verandah Suite- or in Category PH- the Penthouse Suite, so it doesn't really matter if those categories are called suites or outsides. Sorry.

I believed they have changed the terminology to Verandah Outside for A, B, and BB because there is often a lot of confusion over whether the suite amenities attach to these categories because they were called 'suites'. I think taking the word 'suite' out of it was a wise decision so that pax who book them are not misled into thinking they are getting the perks.

The one that is really confusing to me is the SS, Superior Verandah Suite which really isn't a suite at all. It is listed with the suites, but doesn't get suite perks, but it isn't like the verandah staterooms either. Maybe they need to call it Suite and Low end, or Suite Lite, or something!;)

This is one of my pet peeves with HAL. As mentioned previously only Penthouse Suites (PS category) and Deluxe Verandah Suites (S category) get suite amenities. Superior Verandah Suites (SS category) are not suites, at least not for suite amenities. Don't get me wrong, we really enjoyed our SS cabin on the Oosterdam and knew from day one when we booked the cruise that we were not going to get suite amenities (i.e., access to the Neptune Lounge). Met a couple of fellow cruisers in SS cabins who either didn't ask or, in at least one case, were given the wrong information by their TA and were a bit put out that they were in a "suite" and not getting the amenities. I think it's plain to most of us who have sailed HAL before but confusing to newbies. HAL needs to explain this better.

To my knowledge, the A&B categories on "S" class ships used to be called mini-suites and have a few perks, like whirlpool tubs (single), refrigerators, VCR's, personalized stationary, larger towels, as opposed to the "S" and "PH" which have the former plus concierge service, free laundry and dry cleaning, Neptune Lounge access, binoculars, umbrellas, priority tendering, hors d'ouerves in room, embarcation and disembarcation priority, corsages, suite luncheon etc.

Crossing over to Vista class, I believe SS has the same amenities as A&B on "S" class, except perhaps, the whirlpool tub (i'm not sure). We've always had the mini-suite goodies in our "A" cabins on the Rotterdam. This winter we'll be on the Zaandam in an "S" suite, but, alas, The Zaandam doesn't have a Neptune Lounge yet, so we'll have to do our concierging at the front desk, or over the phone, so I'm told.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong,

GN

SS cabins on Vista ships do have a whirlpool bath

Superior Verandah Suites

Superior Verandah Suites feature two lower beds convertible to a queen size bed, sofa bed for one, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath & shower & additional shower stall, VCR, floor-to-ceiling windows.

The SS on the Vista class has a nice size bathroom with a double sink, seperate shower and tub. The tub had jacuzzi jets that are excellent. I used this option every day as the hot tubs were not hot and my feet were aching after a day of sight seeing.

I actually think it is great to have such a nice size stateroom at a reasonable price.

The only true suites on HAL are the Penthouses. All the other so-called suites, the S and the SS, are just large, comfortable cabins - but just one room .

Check the brochures or the HAL website where you can see descriptions and sample layouts. Don't go by what HAL calls them, that's just arbitrary labeling by the marketing folks.

The 2005 brochures I have are back to calling the A and B verandah cabins on the non-Vista ships "Verandah Suites." The A and B etc. verandah cabins on the Vista class (and the Prinsendam) are called "Deluxe Verandah Outside." Duh!

Archived