Safety in the Baltics

I am a woman and a solo cruiser, and have traveled quite a bit on my own to various parts of the world, minding the basic safety rules and never having a problem. That said, is there anywhere in the Baltics where you would advise me not to go about alone? I'm planning a tour in St. Pete's of course, but the others I had planned on using the HoHo buses or publlic transport.

Most of the replies on the solo board cover the tropical ports and not this part of the world, but one woman stated she wouldn't do Estonia alone. I was under the impression that this was a small city easily doable if I did my research.

I will definitely take ship excursions if it is a matter of safety. Money isn't more important than being okay, especially overseas, but do those of you who have traveled to this area of the world feel I should have concerns and rethink my tour plans? I'll be visiting,Oslo, Helsinki, Stockholm, Gdansk (definite tour), Tallinn, and staying two nights pre cruise in Copenhagen. I appreciate any imput.

Much agreed. I believe that the Baltics have been one of the safer cruises that we've taken in terms of safety in port.

As you've mentioned your taking a tour in St Pete, so no need to worry there.

I am sure you are aware that Helsinki and Stockholm are one of the safest cities in the world. They have one of the highest standards of living. As you have mentioned, take the general precautions you would take at home, protect your personal belongings, use a money belt if possible, don't get into cars with strangers, that type of thing. Try and stick to the main streets and not back alleys. But I never had any concerns for my personal safety in these ports and I never heard of anyone on my cruise having any bad experience.

With Tallinn, I personally felt that it was safe too. If you stay in the old part of Tallinn, its very medieval. The one thing that they will warn you about is pickpockets. So just be careful with your personal belongings. But as with most other cities, you'll be there during the day. It's not as if you are wandering around at night. Walking to and from the old town to the pier wasn't a problem and it was in broad daylight. There were always people around and traffic on the roads. I wouldn't be concerned.

And with Copenhagen, I wouldn't be concerned there either. When we were in Copenhagen, we took a walking tour in the morning and we asked our tour guide if we should be concerned about safety. He said absolutely not. If anything, like any tourist city, they warn you of pickpockets and I believe there are signs posted at the TI. But as far as your personal safety he said it was perfectly fine to walk around at night and not be concerned. I wasn't quite sure I believed him. But sure enough, that night, my mother and I left Tivoli at past 11 pm, we walked back to the Copenhagen Marriott (where I think you are staying, right?)... and instead of walking along the major streets we decided to take a shortcut through some smaller less traveled streets. Even by taking the smaller streets, we never felt threatened, we never felt insecure, it was like we were just taking a stroll around the city at night. Of course, I wouldn't suggest you take the shortcut to the hotel, there are certainly major streets you can stick to that will get you back to the hotel that are well lit and well traveled by cars during the evening hours. But the point is, even at night at close to midnight we, being 2 women, felt comfortable walking around Copenhagen.

So as the previous poster stated, I wouldn't do anything that you wouldn't do at home. Obviously you are in a foreign country. But if you use common sense and take the proper precautions, you'll be just fine.

You will be fine in all the ports. I walked around Talinn on my own because my son had a cold and was worn out after St. Petersburg. It was perfectly fine. Also walked Helsinki alone for several hours after sending DS back to the ship.

The only thing I remember hearing some warnings about were pickpockets on the train from Gdynia to Gdansk in Poland, if you were thinking of that as an option.

I have been to all cities you mention except for Gdansk, and the only one I wouldn't do alone is St. P's. The rest, IMO, are fine, including Tallinn. I'm sure they all have some shady areas. The only one that I know of is in Copenhagen, the area just to the southwest of the train station should be avoided. And the only reason I know this is because I have family in Denmark, and they told me. Just take normal precautions.

I have just returned from a Baltic cruise yesterday, travelling alone. I didn't feel unsafe in any of the ports, all of which I explored on my own. Had I had a personal Visa in St Petersburg I would not have felt unsafe there either - we are fed a lot of horror stories but none of the Baltic Cities are any less safe than those in the UK & US. Enjoy your trip.

Just back last week from the Century Baltic itinerary, and I explored all the cities mostly on my own (or casually with friends from the ship, but never as part of an organized group except in St. P). Absolutely did not feel at all concerned in any of the ports. Just be smart with yourself and your possessions.

Archived