HAL luggage tag question...help please!

yorkie99

We're catching our flights out early this Saturday morning (Maasdam New England/Canada...Boston to Montreal) and I'm trying to complete the luggage tags. We arranged air through HAL and they booked us for 2 flights to get to Boston (Cleveland to NYC & NYC to Boston), then 2 flights departing Montreal to get home (Montreal to D.C. & D.C to Cleveland).

The luggage tags ask for embarkation airport, embarkation airline, airport arrival date and arriving flight number...also disembarkation airport, disembarkation airline, airport departure date and departing flight number...plus our stateroom number.

Am I supposed to use both flights info (Clev to NYC and NYC to Boston ) for the embarkation info or just the NYC to Boston info?? I'm assuming it's both since if our luggage is lost on the Cleve to NYC part that HAL would need the tags attached to help track the luggage and get it to the ship. Same question applies to the disembarkation info, but I guess if our luggage is lost returning home that HAL won't care....i'm just really confused at this point...:confused: Maybe I'm supposed to use 2 tags on each piece of luggage since we have 2 flights?

yorkie99: I also recommend not putting the HAL tags on your luggage until you have claimed them from the luggage area at Boston Logan airport. That way you will know that your bags arrived. If your bags did not arrive, at least you will know that they were not pulled by a HAL rep at Boston. You will only need to use one HAL per checked bag.

But, at check-in at Cleveland, use the little airline tags (usually at the check-in counter) to show your destination: Holland America Lines ship Maasdam, Boston.

On the HAL tags go ahead and use Montreal as your disembarkation point and both flight designations, for example, AA123/AA456.

And, have a great cruise!

If you choose to put the tags on before flying you could use the same "dual" designation for flights to Boston that Bill S suggested for the returning flight numbers.

Most of us don't put HAL tags on our bags until we're ready to board--not when flying. (They could get torn off...BEFORE you get on ship in flight transit)

does that help?

Most maybe, but not all! Since HAL always sends us more tags than we need I put them on before flying and bring the extras in my carry-on. So far (3 fly-ins) I haven't had any torn off, maybe because I replace that flimsy elastic with a tough cable-wrap tie!

For our cruise-tour in two weeks they gave us two different types of bag tags, one for the Tour (first) and then the standard for the cruise. For the Tour tags they gave us preprinted stickers that show neither the embarkation nor disembarkation airports! If they don't want the embarkation airport on that tag, I wonder why it's on the standard tag?

... at least you will know that they were not pulled by a HAL rep at Boston.
Do mean they sometimes pull them off the carousel? I've never seen that!

If you are really worried about lost luggage you should get those tags from global bag tag dot com and complete your full itinerary there so if they get lost they can be returned to you at a port of call with minimum inconvenience to you. We have them on all our bags.

I always put our tags on before we board our flight. Never had them torn off. My thinking is that if the bag goes astray (doesn't make the connecting flight, or is simply left behind at my home airport) then they will know it needs to be expedited to reach the ship.

Archived