Saxman tour - ship's vs. winging it there?

newbiecruiser54

We leave soon [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]! Have activities planned in Juneau and Skagway, but not Ketchikan. I would like to see Saxman, and have a well-guided tour. Should we sign up for the ship's tour at $50/head, and be guaranteed inside the carving shed and also seeing the dancers, or is it OK to find a tour guide after we arrive???

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

We took a bus out to there for 9$ total trip for 2, but we got lucky as a tour was going on and we were able to join in..But if there isn't anyone else there, you will be stuck there for an hour till the bus comes back thru with not much to do, it really is a very small place..The only reason we did it this way, was because someone suggested to us in town, not explaining that you really need to be on a tour to get the most out of it..My father took a tour from town for 30$ and got to see both Saxman and Totem Brite, but I dont think it included the dancers or carving shed..

I understand you can purchase a tour from the gift shop. It is unclear if the above just "joined" a tour group- how?? the carving shed is open to anyone. The dancers are ship excursions- but as stated- it was posted a few days ago about purchasing tickets at the gift shop?? Saxman does require a guided tour.

Archived