Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

This is funny. I thought I was alone. Last cruise DH asked why we had to get there before the doors opened. He said we could be a little late, we were always the first at the table. NO! Someone might get my chair! Glad to know that I am not the only one.

I just do not understand this claim on chairs. Why would anyone consider it "my chair" just because that was the first one they sat in.

Just the same.... why would you "hog" the window seat the whole cruise just because you sat their first. You would definitely drop in my opinion and taint my feelings about dining with you if you insisted on "your chair". Noboby put your name on it.

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

You are not alone...:o

I'm with you, Pete-I like the same chair. I think it makes it easier for the dining staff as well, since they try hard to remember you likes and dislikes, sitting in the same spot probably helps them a little. I do prefere a table to the booth-style areas, though-find them uncomfortable.

At home, my kids and grandkids have always known which is "Gramma's chair!":D

Just the same.... why would you "hog" the window seat the whole cruise just because you sat their first. You would definitely drop in my opinion and taint my feelings about dining with you if you insisted on "your chair". Noboby put your name on it.

You could always just lean over their plate and gaze out the window to look at the sea. :eek: Just tell them you like seeing the water every once in a while to remind you that you are at sea. :p

God I hope you are alone. If you are at an assigned table that is against the wall. I would hope that the first people would take the seats next to the wall. So that the other don't have to try and squeeze passed. Now if you are next to a windon. I think it is only right if you are always one of the first to arrive. To offer to let one of the other couple sit next to the window on a night or two. I think it is a simple case of manners and being polite.

I don't mind a different chair, but I don't like sitting with my back to the room. I like to watch what's going on.

Of course you do. Everyone prefers that. Unless maybe if having your back to the room means you have a view out the window.

I can see two sides to it. On the one hand, I like to sit in "my" seat every day. On the other hand, it seems unfair to make the same person have their back to the room so they stare at a wall all week.

Oh my gosh! I laughed when I read the original post, but TOTALLY agree! I never realized that I am a dining room chair hog. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Makes a new definition to the term "CHAIRHOG" but unfortunatly, I'm usually guilty!!!!!:rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

Geez, there is definitely something wrong with a lot of you. How can you feel entitled to a certain chair in the dining room just b/c you're crazy enough to be standing in line at the door 45 minutes early? It's just a freakin' chair!!! For the love of God, some of you people need to get a life!

wants to put "Queen of the Holiday on..not only my chair, but the same table..for the last 7 cruises. Just off Sat, and have it on the "puter for Sept 15th. I'm a lefty, and deaf on the rt sde so try to make it easy on the waitstaff-er..and not have a congestion nxt to the waiter bay. Yep..I'm "tor-it-tarial"..same all-a time..dont need to see out in the dark at dinner..also location makes it easy to dance "Hey Baby" with the waiters..thatz jus me..I'm still..soooo Lucky

I also thinks it's ridiculous that some of you think that the chair you sit in on your first night becomes your own for the rest of the cruise. Now I know why I've been nearly run over by some old geezers on their way into the dining room--guess they were trying to get the best seat. I swear it's like it's kindergarten sometimes with the way some of you people behave. Grow up and sit wherever. Don't pout when someone takes "your" chair because guess what....IT'S NOT YOUR CHAIR!!! I don't care if you did stand in the hall in front of the dining room for 2 hours just so you could be the first one in. I bet these are the same people who complain about deck chair hogs, and theater seat savers too!

The funny thing is, people want to sit by the window. But, when it's dark, you can't see out the windows and they pull the curtains anyway.

On my first cruise, we had a table by the window, I wa surprised that when I pulled back the curtain, I couldn't see a darn thing, just blackness.

It gets dark early out on the ocean. A lot earlier than back home.

Those booths make it difficult to have conversation. I don't like them either.

But easier if one were inclined to play footsies with their partner :p

But easier if one were inclined to play footsies with their partner :p

too easy. :p I prefer a challenge. It's quite amusing to be playing footsie and not realize you have the wrong foot until you see the surprise on your tablemate's face.:eek: :p :p :p

too easy. :p I prefer a challenge. It's quite amusing to be playing footsie and not realize you have the wrong foot until you see the surprise on your tablemate's face.:eek:

Who said anything about feet?:eek: :p

I did that once. He wasn't amused.

OMG Pete that is just too funny!!

As usual, people are trying to turn this into an "us against them" thread.:rolleyes: Just because someone likes to sit in the same chair does not make them a "hog" , "snob" "chairgrabber" or anything else. You people who love to make something out of a simple question or statement are the ones who need to get a life.

I prefer the same chair-yes. Seems to me that that was Pete's question, plain and simple. He did not ask if people would keep the "best" chair. But if I was at a table with a group of people and it appeared as though I had the "best" seat, I would ask if someone else were interested in sitting there, not just claim it in a territorial manner. Except if I were at a table with those who seem to expect it as if it were their right! :mad: Fortunately, I travel with people who are not like that, and have been seated with people who all seem to get along wonderfully without worrying who is sitting where. Funny, everyone seems to gravitate towards the same seat. Imagine that!

Yes, I'm amused myself.

I see some posters are starting to intermingle chair possession and the "best seat".

If I arrive at the table on night 1, where there are only two remaining seats, we return to those same two seats on subsequent nights even if we are the first ones there.

I've yet to encounter "a mad rush" to get the best seat. But maybe that's because I don't think that way.

progress.gif

My center of attention, of course, is THE FOOD!

Yes, I'm amused myself.

I see some posters are starting to intermingle chair possession and the "best seat".

If I arrive at the table on night 1, where there are only two remaining seats, we return to those same two seats on subsequent nights even if we are the first ones there.

I've yet to encounter "a mad rush" to get the best seat. But maybe that's because I don't think that way.

progress.gif

My center of attention, of course, is THE FOOD!

Yeah!

It's those folks who "assume"

I sit in the same chair every night too.

And I park in the same spot at work everyday.

The spot is no better than any of the others and worse than some, but it does somewhat annoy me when someone takes my spot. It's not going to ruin my day or anything and if they kept it up I would just find myself another spot...one that no one else has claimed as theirs.

And even if I come to work early and one of those better spots is empty, I leave it alone.

I had breakfast two weeks ago with a woman who resented that the waiters put other people at the table with her and her hubby at breakfast.

She bragged about how much she had cruised, but was surprised when they seated others...at a table for 8!

Unhuh...

I have never had a problem with someone sitting in the chair i sat in the night before. We always get there early on the first night so we can get the eat we want. The only time I have seen that happen is when someone didn't eat in the dining room the first night, or their table changed, and didn't know where everyone sat. In most cases the people ask if it okay to sit in a seat or was someone else sitting there.

Archived