Internet On Noordam?

bogey

I can do "costs".

It's $3.95 to open an account. Plus you have a choice of:

per minute rate at $0.75 per minute or

100 minute plan at $55 or

250 minute plan at $100

If you sign up the first day there's usually some additional minutes credited (10 or 20 depending on plan). There's also usually some short-minute plans available late in the cruise.

And there's a drawing for free Internet the first day.

There's an Internet Center as part of the Explorations Cafe. There's several PC's set up---some have a nice view. Several are at individual desks along the outside wall, and others are grouped together around in a circle.

There will be an Internet Manager on duty there; hours are posted.

There are several hot-spots around the ship, but I don't recall exactly where.

I can do "costs".

It's $3.95 to open an account. Plus you have a choice of:

per minute rate at $0.75 per minute or

100 minute plan at $55 or

250 minute plan at $100

If you sign up the first day there's usually some additional minutes credited (10 or 20 depending on plan). There's also usually some short-minute plans available late in the cruise.

And there's a drawing for free Internet the first day.

There's an Internet Center as part of the Explorations Cafe. There's several PC's set up---some have a nice view. Several are at individual desks along the outside wall, and others are grouped together around in a circle.

There will be an Internet Manager on duty there; hours are posted.

There are several hot-spots around the ship, but I don't recall exactly where.

........Or you can use a modem speed (SLLLOOOOWWWW) data connection in your cabin (bring your own phone cable to plug into a wall data socket). With the minutes you purchase you can use any or all of the three methods.

The WiFi is not what you will be used to as far as speed. Some say it is as slow as dialup, but I found it significantly faster than that. In any event, you will probably want to download your e-mails and read them offline, then prepare replies offline, then log back on to send them.

- Steve

In timing tests that I have done I've gotten about 25>28 kbps on the cabin dial-up, 45>50 kbps using wi-fi in hotspots. The first thing I do is change my home page to something very simple, like http://www.google.com, rather than waste time just waiting for my normal home page to load. You cannot use a blank home page - for some reason the ship server doesn't like it.

Archived