anchorage hotel help

kimcht

I am booking a cruise tour through princess that starts in anchorage, and would like to stay an xtra day. can anyone suggest one that would have a hotel shuttle, doesnt cost a fortune, and would not be too hard to get to the cruise tour hotel (captain cook) the next day? the pre cruise package charges an xtra 219 a person!!!! thanks.

$250/night might be "average" for many hotels in Anchorage, but I won't pay that much. I booked 1 night at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek for $152 at the Significant Organizations Savings rate (Sam's Club code). I also have a weekend night booked at the airport Courtyard at the "breakfast lovers" rate of $104.

I am booking a cruise tour through princess that starts in anchorage, and would like to stay an xtra day. can anyone suggest one that would have a hotel shuttle, doesnt cost a fortune, and would not be too hard to get to the cruise tour hotel (captain cook) the next day? the pre cruise package charges an xtra 219 a person!!!! thanks.

The Howard Johnson's will give you everything you need at a reasonable (for Alaska :) ) price. Edit: OUCH, I just saw that the rack rate is $199 - I've never paid anything close to that

I've always thought that the "add-ons" were a rip-off, because it seems like the "per person" price should be the total price (assuming 2 travelers). Even if you stayed at the Captain Cook, and paid for a taxi to get there, you'd be saving a considerable amount of money over the Princess price.

What is the breakfast lovers rate that is refered too? I don't see this anywhere on their site.

Here are the rate rules for the Breakfast Lovers promotion, which I booked for two weekends in August 2008:

COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT'S

BREAKFAST LOVERS PROMOTION

--------------------------------------

RATE INCLUDES BUFFET BREAKFAST FOR UP TO 2 ADULTS AND 2

CHILDREN (UP TO AGE 10) IN THE COURTYARD CAFE ONLY.

***** BUFFET BREAKFAST ONLY!!! *****

***** BREAKFAST PORTION CANNOT BE PRORATED AGAINST ROOM *****

***** SERVICE OR ORDERS FROM THE MENU. *****

REQUIRES A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT STAYOVER

RATE NOT AVAILABLE MONDAY THRU WEDNESDAY

RATE BASED UPON AVAILABILITY

BLACK OUT DATES MAY APPLY

RATE DOES NOT APPLY TO GROUPS

RATE DOES NOT INCLUDE TAX

P.S. Joan -I saw that you'll cruise on June 23rd, so I checked rates at the Courtyard for June 20-22 (Friday - Sunday nights), and the $104 breakfast lovers rate is available then.

Nancy: I think I finally understand why I can't find this rate. We aren't staying over for a Friday or Saturday night only sunday and Wednesday. I still hate the idea of not being able to get the same rate but at least I am not loosing my mind, what little is left anyway.

Book a hotel you can live with then every couple of weeks check hotwire and bid on priceline - perhaps another deal will come out like the Extended Stay deal that materialized last fall for summer 2007. Just be sure to book something now that you can cancel but also that you can live with in case nothing better comes along.

John

What does the Capt Cook cost if you book it directly? That would by far be the easiest since they would let you stay in the same room both nights.

Yep, we did the same thing and stayed at the Hilton - they let us stay in the same room for both nights. It was great and AIR CONDITIONED. Just in case you don't know and care - Captain Cook does not have a/c. That was very important to us.

We went a day early and paid for an extra night at the Captain Cook. I figured it would be easiest if we didn't have to change hotels, even if we did change rooms. It was nice because they upgraded us and we ended up on the floor (17th I think) that has a really nice free cold breakfast, free sodas and coffee, and a free happy hour with snacks.

Another hotel might have been a little cheaper but this was the easiest and worth an extra $50.00 to me.

We were at the Captain Cook on the hottest day so far this year (August 13th and 79 degrees) and we didn't need air. We just opened the windows and turned on the fan. If you are sensitive to outside air then that might not work for you.

Yep, we did the same thing and stayed at the Hilton - they let us stay in the same room for both nights. It was great and AIR CONDITIONED. Just in case you don't know and care - Captain Cook does not have a/c. That was very important to us.

what's the typical temperature in Anchorage in July?

Three years ago or so we had a heck of a summer. We broke like 12 temperature records and to say the least I was considering air conditioning :eek:

Last two summers we've been basically back to what it usually was like.

Susan in Anchorage :)

John

We've booked Sapphire for May 24 '08. I guess from looking at this board, we'd better book our room NOW, right?!

JC

Just answered another of your questions on another thread :) .

It can not hurt to book a hotel room now that you can live with - from both location and price standpoint. Then keep checking for better deals through hotwire or priceline or wherever. Hotwire and priceline really only are ideal if you have 2 in a room. Priceline won't guarantee more than 2 adults in a room, i.e. perhaps only 1 king bed. If you have more than 2 people per room, you might be taking your chances, but then again it might work out fine. Extended Stay and HoJo's are both under $100/room for May 23. Maybe there are others about this price? That is a good rate for ANC in high season.

I have hotels booked for two AK trips next year but if something better comes along, I am willing to change - like $37 at the Extended Stay Deluxe in downtown Anchorage :) :) .

Just for fun I just checked hotwire for May 1-3. Prices are lower for early May than mid-May and later but I got a good deal at the HI Express in Anchorage so I will keep that for now.

John

We just got back from our Sapphire princess cruise (southbound from whittier to Vancouver).

We stayed one night in Anchorage... we booked the Sheraton. It was clean, the people very hospitable, and they s huttle you around anywhere you want to go in the downtown area. They dont offer a shuttle from the airport, but will take you to the railway depot in the morning.

I used the advice from others on the boards.. and booked through "Priceline". You get to offer what you want.. and usually they accept it. For example, I offered $120.00. and it was accepted (you have to click on 3 star category).

Good luck!

Thanks John. I'll go check right now. We'll need 3 rooms. Maybe booking 3 rooms will help. The other day I was looking and found the Millinneum for around $179 per night. (I think that was on Expedia). I'll get on the hotels again tomorrow.

Right now, I'm looking over travel insurance. My TA is suggesting Travel Guard Protect Assist. But I've just read on another thread that we should make certain that it is Primary Insurance coverage, not secondary. So, I'm doing my homework. (Prior to finding this site, I just let the cruise or my TA handle all of this - I'm becoming better informed now)

Thanks again

JC

We just got back from our Sapphire princess cruise (southbound from whittier to Vancouver).

We stayed one night in Anchorage... we booked the Sheraton. It was clean, the people very hospitable, and they s huttle you around anywhere you want to go in the downtown area. They dont offer a shuttle from the airport, but will take you to the railway depot in the morning.

I used the advice from others on the boards.. and booked through "Priceline". You get to offer what you want.. and usually they accept it. For example, I offered $120.00. and it was accepted (you have to click on 3 star category).

Good luck!

I would disagree that Priceline usually accepts whatever anyone offers. Priceline may have no inventory at any price during certain time periods. The fact that few have reported getting hotels in Vancouver or Anchorage this summer on Priceline means that the hotels in those cities didn't have much excess inventory to get rid of cheaply. And when people did get Priceline hotels in Vancouver, it was at much higher prices than in the previous few summers.

I would disagree that Priceline usually accepts whatever anyone offers. Priceline may have no inventory at any price during certain time periods. The fact that few have reported getting hotels in Vancouver or Anchorage this summer on Priceline means that the hotels in those cities didn't have much excess inventory to get rid of cheaply. And when people did get Priceline hotels in Vancouver, it was at much higher prices than in the previous few summers.

I agree with NancyIL. And in fact, I HATE my first bid on priceline being accepted. It means I almost surely overbid!

John

Thanks John. I'll go check right now. We'll need 3 rooms. Maybe booking 3 rooms will help. The other day I was looking and found the Millinneum for around $179 per night. (I think that was on Expedia). I'll get on the hotels again tomorrow.

Right now, I'm looking over travel insurance. My TA is suggesting Travel Guard Protect Assist. But I've just read on another thread that we should make certain that it is Primary Insurance coverage, not secondary. So, I'm doing my homework. (Prior to finding this site, I just let the cruise or my TA handle all of this - I'm becoming better informed now)

Thanks again

JC

I stayed at a Millenium hotel in Minneapolis a couple of years ago. Very nice. But I am not familiar with most of them.

Primary vs. secondary coverage really is a subjective decision. I see both sides. Personally I have used Travel Guard the past couple of years for an annual policy and had two claims - one for delayed luggage, one for trip delay (hotel cost). Both times they were very prompt in paying with no hassle - just send in documentation.

Archived