Norwegian Dream Questions

cruisinsforme

We are cruising on the Norwegian Dream on October 31st and I had the following questions:

Has anyone stayed in 9004 or 9005?

How is category AD? It says "Concierge available". What does this include?

How are the kids programs?

Will they do anything special for Halloween (Should I bring costumes)?

Can you walk to the attractions in New Orleans from the Cruise Terminal?

Does anyone have any recent Daily Activity schedules?

I should probably post each of these questions as a separate thread. Any and all information will be appreciated.

I can answer one of your questions since I live only a couple of miles from the cruise terminal. You can easily walk from the wharf to the French Quarter and the Aquarium. You can easily walk to the streetcar lines that will take you to the Garden District or to the New Orleans Museum of Art, Sculpture Garden, cemetaries, etc. You board the Dream at the Riverwalk which has a number of shops, most of which you would find in any mall (such as Ann Taylor Loft, The Limited, etc.).

Have you chosen a hotel yet?

I sailed the Dream last November and would love to go again!

Like2Cruise, as you can imagine, there are so many hotels in New Orleans. The Hilton is part of the Riverwalk complex; you would be able to walk from there to the cruiseship embarkation area. I've heard that the Maison St. Charles (504-522-0187) allows guests to park for free the week of the cruise. It's not a fancy place, but is located on St. Charles Avenue across from a streetcar stop. Nice hotels in or near the French Quarter include the Fairmont, Hotel Monteleone, the Hampton Inn on Carondelet, Royal Sonesta, and Wyndham at Canal Place.

If you name a few places that you're considering, I could let you know if they're in a good neighborhood.

Cruisinsforme, I sailed the Western Caribbean route last November and there were lots of complaints on this board about that trip as well. If the weather's good, you should have a lot of fun. The ship was exceptionally clean, the food was consistently good (subjective, of course), and the room steward was excellent. The ship is rather plain, but there's plenty of open deck space. Someone told me to expect the Holiday Inn on water, but I found the Dream to be much nicer.

We are going on the Dream in March and I am very open to any hotel suggestions you have. Many of the hotels say booked for the night (3/19/05)that we are staying prior to our cruise.

Sounds like we'll be cruising at the same time. My family of 4 will be sailing March 20th on the Dream. We are driving in from Alabama and have family in the Garden District. There are some wonderful hotels along St. Charles Ave as well as some Bed and Breakfasts in the neighborhoods just off the avenue. Good luch and we'll see you onboard!

Elizabeth

Al, the Queen and Crescent Hotel is located in the Central Business District, one block from Canal Street and about a mile from the Riverwalk. From the street, the hotel looks like a very nice place, but the area is deserted after 5:30 or 6:00 in the evening. Just be careful going back to your hotel in the evenings. I think the French Quarter is the safest area for tourists after hours, but your hotel does look very nice.

CatherineNOLA

Question: We're cruising on the Dream 13 March and have chosen the Holiday Inn in Metarie for overnight. Is it satisfactory and do you think they'd allow us to leave our car there during the cruise.

Thanks

Al, I meant your hotel is a few blocks from Canal Street, not one block.

Fundays, which Holiday Inn? The one on Veterans Blvd? I'm not as familiar with Metairie, but I'll ask my co-workers for more information.

Elizabeth Gillian, you're from Wetumpka, Alabama? So is my grandmother. I've never met anyone else from there.

Al, the Queen and Crescent Hotel is located in the Central Business District, one block from Canal Street and about a mile from the Riverwalk. From the street, the hotel looks like a very nice place, but the area is deserted after 5:30 or 6:00 in the evening. Just be careful going back to your hotel in the evenings. I think the French Quarter is the safest area for tourists after hours, but your hotel does look very nice.
Catherine,

Are the blocks in New Orleans extremely large? If you look at this map I found from the Q&C Hotel, it looks like 3 blocks to Canal street and then you are in the French Quarter. There is no scale legend on the map, so if you could have a look I would appreciate it. Is it a lot farther than it looks on the map?

http://www.queenandcrescenthotel.com/img/map1.jpg

Thanks

Al

We are cruising on the Norwegian Dream on October 31st and I had the following questions:It says "Concierge available". What does this include?

The concierge will introduce themselves at the beginning of the voyage and will be available to arrange VIP tender tickets-which will get you off the ship 1st if you need to go ashore via a tender-which means the ship doesn't dock-but anchors out in the harbor. On the Dawn the concierge also arranged private parties in your cabin if requested and had the DVD's for the players in your cabin. Our concierge arranged a tour of the Garden Villa before we left the ship last cruise.

You may not need any of the services, but they will be available if needed. You will also receive tasty treats for your cabin each evening from different officers; chocolate covered strawberries, pate, little pastries-something different every night before dinner.

We have booked the AD on the Dawn this year. Our last 2 cruises on the Dawn we had the AB and it was great!

We've sailed the Dream also but I never saw an AD on her.

Have fun!

Elizabeth Gillian, you're from Wetumpka, Alabama? So is my grandmother. I've never met anyone else from there.

CatherineNOLA:

Yes, I have lived here most of of my life. Is your grandmother still here? Our town is getting bigger with many people moving in but many of us "old timers"(I'm only in my 40's) used to know everyone who lived here. My parents owned and operated a drug store here for over 28 years. It is a small world and to stay on point...cruising beings us all together!!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, my grandparents built a stone, Country-French style house on Company Street in 1941. I think the home is used as a bed-and-breakfast now. My grandparents' names were Gussie and Christian Wingard. They were in their 70s when I was born, and sold the house many years ago. I only vaguely remember the place, but I'd like to return for a visit.

Catherine! Under the heading,"Believe it or not," I know the house and the family and if I'm not mistaken one of your uncles "was" married to one of my older cousins. I love the Wingard house. I'm not sure if the Bed and Breakfast is still in operation . I haven't seen the owner and operator at any Chamber of commerce functions lately. You're welcome to visit Wetumpka anytime.(I apologize to other Cruise Critic members for going way off point but CatherineNOLA has requested not to receive any e-mails.)

Elizabeth

I promise not to talk anymore about non-cruise-related personal stuff after this...

How funny that you know of my grandparents' former house! I have only one uncle, though, and I think he's still married. Maybe the one you're talking about is a great uncle or something.

Thanks for the invitation to visit Wetumpka. I would love to return someday.

Archived