need help in choosing fins...

MamaParrotHead

DH and I each bought an inexpensive snorkeling set before going on our cruise this past spring, thinking it'd be silly to spend $ on EVERYTHING if we didn't like/couldn't get the hang of snorkeling.

Well, we loved and and plan on doing it every opportunity we get. So now we want to purchase some fins.

I was nosing around on amazon.com and am kind of confused as to which type is best to buy and why. They had the "full foot" ones, the back-of-the-foot strap ones, the split ones, the really long ones, the more streamlined ones, the more angular ones. I'm not looking to spend TOO much on them, just looking for what specific type to keep an eye out for. Oh, and my DH wears a men's 13, so I don't know how hard THAT is going to be to find, either. :confused:

Thanks!:)

My husband and I snorkel when we go on cruises. I bought complete sets by body glove. They have longer fins than the ones that they give you on excursions. I found that I can go faster with the longer ones. We are both in our 50s and were able to keep up with the guide when the younger ones couldn't. As for the full foot vs strap... the full foot would protect you better from sharp rocks, shells or coral. If you've been to Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, the entrance to the water is very rocky and full foot fins (say that fast 3 times) would protect your feet better.

Sewut

If you think that there is any chance whatsoever that you might ever want to learn how to scuba dive, I would seriously consider investing in the, "back-of-the-foot strap ones" versus a full foot fin. You'll need the ones with the straps for scuba and they will serve you well for snorkeling too. The fins with straps are worn with "dive booties" to keep your feet warm, to keep the straps from rubbing, and to protect your feet on entries and exits. It's much more safe to walk in dive booties than it is to walk in a full foot fin.

As far as purchasing equipment goes...

Buy the very best gear you can afford if this is something that you love and think that you'll be doing for a long time. If you care for your gear properly, it will last indefinitely. I just handed down a pair of fins to my youngest son that I've had for nearly 15 years! I think that makes them well worth the $100 or so I spent on them. :) I expect to have them returned to me when he grows out of them too!

In order to have the absolute best experience possible, I would also suggest that you go buy your gear at a local dive shop. The people there know how to make sure what you are taking home FITS you. You will pay a little more for that service that you would if you ordered your gear online, but it will be well worth it in the long run.

Best wishes and happy travels...

I just ordered a set through Amazon and they did not fit. My fault completley, but I kicked myself for ordering them instead of going into a store. The ones I had Dick's Sporting goods had in a variety of sizes and styles. Then you can try them on etc.

I second nrh322: for the more personal fitting gear (ie mask and fins) you are better off going through a dive shop so it will all fit correctly. It is a little tricky buying gear that needs to fit onn line or at a discount store.

Now, when it comes time for some more "standard" stuff (weight belts, tanks, accessories, even wetsuits) you can go through the on line shopping and compare the value for you.

Hi,

I agree, whatever you can afford. I also recommend the straps instead of the full boot. Though it costs a bit more for the booties (I got some for under $20), I don't know how many times I've had to "duck dive" down to the reef to get a full foot fin for someone after it slipped off their foot. Straps just fit better as you can tighten them when you put them on and get them off easier by losening them and slipping out your foot.

Split vs. solid, I prefer split. They produce a "propeller" motion which is quicker and more manuverable than solid fins (don't believe me check out scuba magazine's fin reviews over the last three years). I also prefer rubber fins (like the Apollo Bio-fins) over plastic fins. They're more flexible and fit in those snorkel bags better.

Anyway, hope this helped,

Randall

well, it's a matter of opinion, and mine is paddles are plenty more manuverable than splits. back kick, frog kick, etc... are not too fun in a pair of splits. (for the record Scuba Diving magazine reviews are ad driven..) I will say Bio-Fins are probably something that would suit you fine, but I would have you look at a non-split for snorkeling. The splits work best underwater, not at the surface where much of the propulsion is lost...

Archived