Purses, Wallets and Personals . . . . .

Lovely_Star

What do you do with them during excursions? This question is especially for the ladies . . . I feel absolutely naked without some type of purse/handbag. I'm not looking to carry my whole life with me, just my wallet/cash, sunblock/tanning lotion, sunglasses, etc. How do you go about this on a cruise excursion?

I purchased one of the " Heys" messenger bags that go across the chest . Such a great little bag. It has so many little hidden pockets for everything! It even has a compartment for things that may get wet[ bathing suit. I really put it to the test this summer and I couldn't believe how much I could get in it once all the extenders are used. I got it on the shopping channel but I have heard they are in various dept. stores as well. I just love it!:D

I have a small day pack (Rick Steve's) that has stood the test of time (Mediterranean, Caribbean, and land trips). Holds much more than it seems but is small, soft and flat when there is little in it. On a plane, it works as a pillow if I put my sweatshirt or polartek jacket in it. Wouldn't leave home without it :). See Civita Day Pack here (scroll down) http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=475

I purchased an extremely lightweight backpack style purse from T.J. Maxx, but they are also sold at Target. It's made from a lightweight material and not at all bulky like a regular school children's type of backpack, in fact, it's really nothing more than a cloth bag with straps attached to wear on your back. All the "necessaries" can be carried along with a water bottle and you won't feel like you are burdened with something bulky.

You know, I don't know if it's water resistant. It's made of microfiber. I had thought about spraying it with a waterproofing product, but didn't and didn't have any problem (even when I carried a cold water bottle that 'sweated' in the heat. Mine is several years old (and has a water bottle holder on each side), I'm not sure if the new one (in the picture) does. (Just checked and it does have 2 bottle holders (mesh) on the sides) You can certainly post that question on the RickSteves.com site (and then, let me know :))

I'd say it resists water rather than being waterproof. I nearly always have a plastic shopping bag inside and use that to protect the Civita in a real downpour.

It is unstructured so doesn't offer protection for a camera.

I've washed mine many times. No problems doing so.

It really depends on the excursion, but in general I use messenger bags. I have two different sizes depending on what we are doing. The large one is big enough to fill full of small to medium purchase, plus carry what ever else I need. The medium sized one is if we aren't going shopping or I need very littel on the excursion (this is the one I will use when we do the train in Skagway). I got mine at www.everestbags.com and they have a small size as well. Lots of colors. Not waterproof, but very well constructed and good materials. I was pleasantly surprised, especially because of the low prices!

I love having my hands free and nothing around my waist to make it look bigger!

• Administrators

A small nylon backpack, sprayed with waterproofing from 3M, has served us from Europe to the Caribbean to Hawaii and here in the contintental US on nearly every day-trip. No purse... no wallet. Take your minimal ID, a credit card, your sign and sail, and some cash (those would fit in your pockets) -- then take in the backpack or a large fanny pack or camera case if you don't like the backpack thing -- lip balm, cameras, sunscreen, sun hat, etc. Try to be as hands-free as you can (including the hand that has to keep hiking your purse back up on your shoulder when you're at home ;)).

We also have a larger Thermos brand over the shoulder bag that sometimes we use as a cooler, and sometimes we use as a beach bag (for towels, snorkels, dry t-shirts, and such).

I guess I'm just the opposite and don't want to be bothered with a purse or tote unless necessary. If possible, I just have my husband carry my ship card/ID (if needed) and whatever cash or credit cards we use. Since he often wears cargo shorts with lots of pockets, he can stash anything extra needed, like sunglasses as well.

Usually though, I take a small travel purse that I can sling over my shoulder or over my chest. (The one I have could be worn around the waist too, but I don't like that look.) It's big enough for a small camera, glasses, money, ID, etc. and is very comfortable to wear. I got mine from Eage Creek.

If we're going somewhere that needs more equipment, like the beach, we usually take a tote bag that is large enough for towels and has some oprganizer pockets. We try to keep valuables to a minimum for a water excursion. We have taken backpacks, but I find them very inconvenient to use and carry; just a personal preference.

One thing I've noticed; the more I travel the less 'stuff' I want to take along.

Thanks for the responses, but I am still a bit confused . . . what do you do while on an excursion especially a water one? For example we are going on a snorkeling excursion to swim with the string rays . . . what do we do with our personals during that time?

ETA: Do you bring your cell phones with you?

My sister and I use something called Bracelet Mate. You wear it on your wrist and we find it is just the right size to carry our Ship & Sail Card, credit card(s), a couple of traveler's checks and a few 20 dollar bills. Here is the web site for the product. This is what it looks like:

home_top1.jpg

We wear the wallet part on the inside of our wrist, towards our body and the rest looks like we have a bracelet on. In fact several shops in Cozumel wanted to know if we made them ourselves because they were interested in buying some for us. We first saw this on QVC

Here is the website for this: www.braceletmate.com -

The Water Safe is available on Royal Caribbean's website (click on 'Deals and Gifts', 'Shop Gifts and Gear', and then go under 'Gifts and Gear Ashore', not 'Gifts and Gear Aboard').

This is waterproof and about 3" x 4 1/2" (bigger than it appears in this picture), with a nice nylon cord that hangs about 16 or 17". There is over 1/2" width of space, plenty of room for your cards, some cash, even a few individually wrapped Lifesavers, etc. The cost is $5.49 plus about that much in shipping.

20230P.jpg

20230P.jpg

The CCLogo shop here at cruisecritic also sells something like this. Just click on the CCLogo link at the top of the page. Its dark blue, has the Cruise Critic Logo on it and sells for $5.95. I bought one and it works wonders. If you are not going into the water the bracelet mate I mentioned earlier is nice for shopping, exploring the sites of the city or shore excursions to the ruins, etc.

Archived