Packing Tux/Gowns

psychboss

PN, your description is pretty close except the one's we have and see most here are hard sided and lay out full then fold in half & zip. The have wheels on the botton and a pull out handle on top for easy rolling. We just packed ours over the weekend for our upcoming TA. Tux, 3 vests, 2 tux shirts, tux shoes, 3 long gowns, 3 semi formal dress outfits, 3 sport coats, 4 slacks & 2 more pair dress shoes for DH. Several misc items in the corners & 4 sweatshirts in the front pockets--48 pounds!!! (the case itself is about 10# too!)

You mention 70#--most of the airlines have changed their weight restrictions "here" to 50#, even if you continue on International flights!!! We're flying United via ORD to NYC then Maxjet to London, even though we can have 70# on MJ, United will only allow 50# on all their legs.:rolleyes: Whaddya gonna do???!!!:D

perfect - that sounds just like what I need to pack - what brand and model do you have??

We use a Wally bag with the clothes layered in plastic dry cleaning bags. It holds tux, 2 shirts, 2 formal dresses and the vests ties etc. We carry it on - leaving a pocket empty should we encounter the one bag only rule. DHs shoes and mine go into the second carryon with our meds and documents.

A large rollon has room to layer our other clothes (on hangers) also in the dry clean bags. The only problem is a crease or two in DH's dress shirts. But these are in the back or on the sleeves - so they are not visible when worn with a jacket.

My DH always packs his Tux in the bottom of the suitcase (carefully) then packs everything else on top and it comes out looking immaculate when he unpacks once on board. Also packing his tux that way means that if we have any stopovers enroute his Tux doesn't have to be moved.

My evening dresses are a different story I think it is better to have them freshly pressed once on board.

And I admit on board they are much better at pressing shirts etc than I am........I really dislike ironing.;)

Jillybean:)

perfect - that sounds just like what I need to pack - what brand and model do you have??

We have an LLBean rolling garment bag, Sportsmans line. Here is a link to a picture. It's a "bit" heavy, but it really serves pour purposes well for formal wear!

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=sportsmans-rolling-garment-bag&categoryId=39072&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4519&cat4=2912&shop_method=pp&feat=4519-tn

Archived