Melbourne Tours

Pocoloco

I will be arriving in Melbourne in February on the Mercury. I would like to see the wildlife there. The ship offers an excursion to Healesville Sanctuary or Serendip Open Range Sanctuary. Most of the travel books mention Healesville, but I haven't been able to find much about Serendip. Which is better?

I live in Melbourne and have been to both. Certainly Healesville is better known, nearly every school kid in Melbourne would have visited there at sometime.

Healesville is more like a zoo with a great variety of local fauna living in a native, but mostly contained habitat. Serendip more like a national park, with more 'natural' surrounds however fewer guarantees in respect to what you might see. Probably more educational to go to Healesville, for nature enthusiasts and a quieter experience try Serendip.

Have a look at www.melbournetours.com.au They have tours all over the place including Healesville. You can also contact them at info@melbournetours.com.au I just mention this because I know how much more the ships charge for their tours as opposed to doing it yourself locally. They also offer a tour to Philip Island including the penguins. Good Luck.

I live in Melbourne and have been to both. Certainly Healesville is better known, nearly every school kid in Melbourne would have visited there at sometime.

Healesville is more like a zoo with a great variety of local fauna living in a native, but mostly contained habitat. Serendip more like a national park, with more 'natural' surrounds however fewer guarantees in respect to what you might see. Probably more educational to go to Healesville, for nature enthusiasts and a quieter experience try Serendip.

Thank, that's what I thought, but needed someone to confirm. Now my husband has enough info to make a decision. Jean

Thank, that's what I thought, but needed someone to confirm. Now my husband has enough info to make a decision. Jean

We've been to Healsville twice - once alone and again with our kids (7 and 10) at the time. We certainly recommend it. My DW also says that she prefers Healesville and she is a Mebourne native.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be staying in Melbourne for about 10 days in October... I am looking for the Top Ten things I shouldn't miss. Any suggestions?

Marcy

Take a look at A Tour With A Difference website. www.atwad.com.au They do a Great Ocean Road tour (a MUST)...also Yarra Valley with Healesville Wildlife day tour. Definitely worth going to Walhalla high country old Gold Mining town...mislaid Tour Operator. Will get back on that :confused:

B E V

I will be arriving in Melbourne in February on the Mercury. I would like to see the wildlife there. The ship offers an excursion to Healesville Sanctuary or Serendip Open Range Sanctuary. Most of the travel books mention Healesville, but I haven't been able to find much about Serendip. Which is better?

Check www.atwad.com.au for an amazing day tour. Dandenong Ranges, Yarra Valley winery region and Healesville Sanctuary. His U-beaut vehicle accommodates 10. We're doing this tour early February ;) Happy Cruising

B E V

I will be staying in Melbourne for about 10 days in October... I am looking for the Top Ten things I shouldn't miss. Any suggestions?

Marcy

For something unique check out Ron Camier at www.mountaintopexperience.com . He does cruise ship day tours - also heaps of others...some day tours, others 2-4 day adventures to the High Country ;) Enjoy your stay.

B E V

• 4 weeks later...

Marcy

I would make sure I visit the Healesville Sanctuary. I would also visit Phillip Island for the day so you can see the Penguins at dusk. I would try and do a tour of the Great Ocean Road and perhaps combine that with a visit to the Grampians. I would have dinner on the Tram Car restaurant either at lunchtime or for the evening meal. I would go to Chapel Street and enjoy the ambience and perhaps also find something to wear in one of the many shops. I would go to Lygon Street and enjoy the ambience of the Italian Restaurants and Cafes. I would visit Federation Square and visit our Art Gallery there - the best gallery in the country of Australian art. I would take a boat down the Yarra from Southgate and visit Williamstown and have lunch there. I would find time to visit the Botanical Gardens and relax in the beautiful surroundings and last but not least visit our wonderful Zoological gardens.

Hope this helps.

Jennie

Archived