Hal and Kids

jbhcw

Thank you for all of your information. My daughter will be 23 when she graduates in May from college with a degree in elementary education. She has worked as a summer camp counsellor for 8 summers. During 3 years of her college years, she worked in the before and after school program for 1 - 6 graders. She is a big sister in the Big Brother/Big sister program. She has been a Sunday school teacher for preschool age kids as well.

In her resume, she has good references from all of her employers and directors. I hope she will be hired.

Thanks again.

You just reminded me of one other requirement....You also must be 21 years of age to be Club HAL or Event Staff for HAL

Last year I took my 7 year old on the Noordam transatlantic and there were only 4 children on board. That being said, he still enjoyed his time at Club HAL and is looking forward to going again at the end of this month.

I took him off the ship with me at every port and booked mostly private excursions to places that I thought he would enjoy. I did use Club HAL on the sea days and sometimes during dinner since we had late seating. I would take him to the Lido at 7:30 and then leave him at Cub Hal when they opened at 8pm, just in time to go to the dining room.

When we will sail on the Westerdam there are 10 children under the age of 18 booked. As long as there are some other kids he will have fun so I'm not worried.

Another thing just occurred to me..... How much, if anything, do you tip the Club Hal staff? I did tip last year but I feel that I might have given too much. Any opinions???

• 3 weeks later...

Well it took a while but we finally are booked on the Zuiderdam for 02-09-08:) I'm sure I'll be frequenting the HAL boards, there is always such a wealth of information here!!

Many thanks to all the posters re HAL and Kids, I can't wait and hope the kids enjoy the ship and Club Hal. We also have the 14 year old coming which we weren't sure about until yesterday, so know he will have a great time:)

Oh, and the best part, DIL booked the Green Cabana today!!! This will be our 4th time to HMC but our first cabana so we are excited:D

I agree, it only takes one "friend" in the kids club for most kids to enjoy. My kids have sailed Disney 3 times, HAL 3 times, Carnival twice, and Caribbean Princess...drum roll, please...their favorite? Oosterdam in chilly June to Alaska with my parents(my DH will not go vacation in any weather cooler than 70, so no, we did not accompany them on this one)

That being said, (We are 40 and 41, kids are 14 and 10) we enjoy the cruises that more families take, because the ships seem livelier with a diverse age group.

I do not know what additional kids may be sailing in Feb, as most schools have a scheduled Spring Break in March, during which I think more families take vacation.

I do know one pet peeve of my younger child and myself relates to HAL having the audacity to ask for additional money for "babysitting" (after 10PM for non-teenaged kids)during which you might,if kids were in the Club having their fun, actually spend some additional money say shopping, gambling, or the number 1 money maker on the ocean...having a few cocktails. I write to this cruiseline each year requesting some additional programming for the 10-13yr olds, at least two nights on a 7 day. I know it is just $5.00(per child/hour, silly right?) but just the idea that we have already paid(a lot) to sail just adds insult to injury. I think ALL cruise lines that include children should have a couple late night programs for the pre-teens, they are fare-paying customers as well. As such they drive which cruises families choose.

This is also the problem with Club HAL hours and late seating dining times conflicting. I know if you want Disney-type programming, pay A LOT more and sail on Disney. This, to answer your query about dining options and Club HAL, is a difficulty for our family. Perhaps you will choose a night to go to the Pinnacle on a night your kids want to attend the Club offerings. Unless your child is over 13, there is no supervised programming for them after 10PM,unless you would like TO PAY.

All this being said, we are considering sailing on HAL for Spring Break 2008...why? Kids desire to go on the Oosterdam, again.

Hope this has helped...ENJOY your cruise!:)

OMWife

Archived