Hal and Kids

jbhcw

I almost never post here, but do lurk a lot. We've sailed on the Maasdam, but most of our cruising has been on other lines. With that being said we are looking at a family cruise on the Zuiderdam for 02-09-08 because of the intinerary, HMC and Grand Turk, which we think would be kid friendly ports. We'll have two grand children with us, ages 4 and 7.

Does anyone have any advise re dining times and Club Hal, say if we had late seating would the 4 year old be able to be at Club HAL? Also do you think perhaps there would be more kids during this time of the year?

We have priced Carnival which also does a similiar itinerary and they are higher than HAL and the ship is older!!

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

We have had our grandchildren on HAL twice now. There were going on a Disney this fall but our son cancelled it and booked HAL again because the boys 5 and 7 like HAL Club better as well as HMC. We always had late seating with them. We went in March on the zuiderdam and I would say there 40 kids in the club. Good ratio.

Club HAL's evening programs are from 8pm onwards, so if they've eaten beforehand, I can't see why that wouldn't work for you.

That said, mine were 6 & 9 on the Zui this April, and they loved every little minute of it -- and almost most especially, the dining room. We had early seating and they just thought it was fantastic :)

Here is a copy of one of Middle-aged Mom's posts, perhaps one of the best on the topic:

The children's program on Holland America is called Club HAL. It is broken down into three age groups: 3-7, 8-12, and 13-17. There is no cost associated with the program, unless you choose to have your child participate in the late evening program, from 10 pm to midnight, when there is a charge of $5 per hour per child.

During sea days, Club HAL hours run approximately 9am to noon, 2pm to 5pm, and 7:30 or 8 pm until 10 pm. There is additional babysitting for a fee from 10 pm to midnight as I mentioned above. On port days, there is a program from 8 am to 5 pm, for which you must sign up your child the evening before. There will also be evening programs on port days. On partial sea days, or days with a short port of call, there is a half-day program plus an evening program (in addition to the port day program). Never fear, your child will have ample opportunity to socialize with other children throughout the cruise. If all that sounds confusing, your child will receive a daily schedule for each day of the cruise, so that you can plan accordingly.

In the 3-7 year old group, activities might include indoor games, arts and crafts, outdoor sports and physical games, story time, legos, puzzles, ice cream parties in the Lido, visiting the video arcade, movies, and evening parties with various themes such as pirates, astronauts, camping out, etc...

There is a Club HAL orientation meeting the first afternoon/evening of your cruise, where you will have an opportunity to meet the counselors, learn about the program, and ask questions. In the 3-7 group, a pager is also provided for your peace of mind, if you request one. There is no charge for the pager, unless you lose it! You must provide the Club HAL counselors with a password and the names of adults who may pick your child up, in order for your child to be signed out of the 3-7 group.

If you call ship's services at 1-800-541-1576, closer to your cruise, you can ask for the number of kids in the 3-7 age group, and they will tell you. The numbers of children onboard vary, of course, from cruise to cruise, so it's impossible to give you specifics at this time.

I think that just about covers it:)

We had a family cruise a couple of times now where the children sailed with us on HAL. First let me tell you the kids had a blast and loved Club HAL, their ages the first cruise ranged from age 6 - 15, the second time age 10 - 18, or so.

The first cruise we had second seating, 8:15 pm. The children were not able to join us hardly at all in the dining room as this was the time for Club HAL, they didn't want to miss Club HAL. My sisters fed the kids either at the Lido or room service, the kids loved room service. They, however, said they missed eating with us in the dining room, so the next cruise, we chose 6:15 pm dinner so the kids could experience the dining room experience onboard.

Either time works, it depends upon what works for you and your family.

Have a great cruise.

We have sailed on HAL and RCCL with our son, (6 on HAL and 7 on RCCL). He much prefered Club Hal then Adventure Club on RCCL. There were so many kids on RCCL that he felt lost. When planning our next cruise (1/08) he choose HAL.

The club was just great and he had a wonderful time. We did an early dining time so we could have dinner together. It worked great with us and gave us free time for shows, etc.

It was the best trip we have taken.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I have to agree with the above poster. With so few kids onboard, they all got individualized attention from the counsellors onboard and really felt special. They all still talk about the great time they had on the cruise, especially at Club HAL. As a matter of fact, they all can't wait for their next cruise.

Thanks so much everyone for all the great information. Am sharing with DIL:) Think we are close to making a decision, in the next day or two. Will certainly let everyone know what we decide.

I personally know I want to sail HAL again, hopefully on the "Z" and we, dh and myself are hopefully planning to sail on the Osterdam in October 2008 with brother and sil, but I was a little hesitant about the kids and HAL.

In reviewing the activities for kids, I found there was a Kids & Teen Culinary Center. Is there a fee for the Kids & Teen Culinary Center? It sounds like a very interesting activity. Any experience with this on the Zandaam?

I just read this in the latest edition of HAL's Mariner Magazine:

"Something new is cooking at Club HAL:

Now kids from 3-17 can learn to cook with Holland America Line's new Culinary Arts Program offered by Club HAL and the Culinary Arts Center presented by Food & Wine Magazine.

Complimentary 45-minute classes will be taught by shipboard chefs in the Culinary Arts Center. Dishes taught span breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks - including fun creations such as bear track cookies, salad people art, soft pretzels, and saltwater taffy. All kids and teens are welcome to attend whether or not they're registered for Club HAL, and teens are also welcome to attend adult culinary demonstrations.

Look for class times and topics in daily programs and Club HAL programs during each cruise."

Our kids were 4 & 6 this past April... they had been on Carnival but we yearned to return to HAL.

They loved HAL. And we're booked again next spring break.

We had early seating. My wife and I do not "object" to chicken fingers and fries, but we do have a problem with feeding that to our children for lunch and dinner every day of a vacation. Our boys always ordered from the regular menus. They could not get enough duck for some reason... the four year old cleaned his plate of duck (ordered it on two different nights). We always encouraged them to try new foods. A cruise is a great time to experiment! The waiters loved watching their faces as they tried cavier (they didn't care for that!).

After dinner there was always a rush to get them to Club HAL. We insisted on taking them to see the production shows-- again to introduce them to different music/dancing. They sat wide-eyed the entire show. They still talk about the juggling act they saw one night!

I encourage you to introduce your kids to new adventures... new foods, entertainment, music.

Treasure Hunt night in Club HAL was also big... we happened to be walking the deck after dinner one night and spotted the group working their way through the ship. We followed and watched them through windows. That was fun for us as we got to watch them in a candid way.

FYI: Although I heard we were going to be running culinary activities for the kids on the Rotterdam, they were never introduced...the Zuiderdam could be different but I don't think they've gotten their culinary center yet....

Hello there, Former Cruise Staff, how nice to "see" you here again:) . I imagine that the Club HAL culinary program is brand new and still a work in progress. It will probably take some time to implement across the fleet .

BTW, and somewhat off-topic, there are a few CC members here who are wondering what the process is to become a Club HAL staff member, and what it's like? Please don't let my question scare you off; you need only say what you can, if you wouldn't mind. Thank you!:)

Karin

FYI: Although I heard we were going to be running culinary activities for the kids on the Rotterdam, they were never introduced...the Zuiderdam could be different but I don't think they've gotten their culinary center yet....

The Zuiderdam will get it all during her dry dock, after sailing to Italy, in the middle of March, 2008.

We had a 7 year old with us on the Zuiderdam cruise to Alaska in July. At first we were a little concerned that he would be bored while on the ship so many of our excursions were planned around things we thought he would like. Lots of focus on seeing wildlife, fun jet boat trips, panning for gold, etc. He did enjoy the excursions, but when he talks about the cruise he always says his favorite part was Club HAL! The kids on board all got a lot of attention from the crew & staff and were treated like little VIPs everywhere. I would not hesitate to take him along again.

CLub HAL staff must have a college degree and the selection process is VERY thorough. The staff is evaluated on a regular basis.

All of the Club Hal staff I have met have been wonderful people who obviously love children and they do a terrific job EVERY SINGLE DAY you are on the cruise!

Hope this helps!

With that being said we are looking at a family cruise on the Zuiderdam for 02-09-08 because of the intinerary, HMC and Grand Turk, which we think would be kid friendly ports. We'll have two grand children with us, ages 4 and 7.

Does anyone have any advise re dining times and Club Hal, say if we had late seating would the 4 year old be able to be at Club HAL? Also do you think perhaps there would be more kids during this time of the year?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

We were on this exact same cruise earlier this year (we left on 2/10, I believe) and there were very few kids on the ship. I don't think we saw more than a dozen or so, from youngters up to teenagers.

The average age on our ship was well into their 60's and up (we're in our 50's). There were very few cruisers younger than us. We had a wonderful time...in fact, it was probably our most enjoyable vacation to date. Everything was perfect. Passenger ages, and the number of children on any given cruise probably varies, but this is what we encountered.

I don't know anything about the dining times and how that would work with Club Hal, but you might check and see how the "anytime dining" fits into your plans (and if it will be on the Z by this time). Having flexible times may or may not be something you are interested in doing.

We had the second seating for the early dinner for two nights and I didn't notice a single child. After that, we moved to the early seating for the first seating and we saw one child who was around 3 or so years of age.

At 4 & 7, all they really need is a couple of other "kids" to hang with in Club Hal and I am sure you'll find that on this cruise. At 4 & 7, my kids would have gone on HAL and had a good time, but any older than that and we'd probably have chosen Disney or RCCL. But that's just us... :)

I personally think you'll all have a good time. :)

I've posted the menus and room service menu from our cruise. I believe it was somewhat new, so it will probably be more or less the same. If you'd like it, I'll look around the threads and direct you in that direction.

I would be very interested in hearing more from former Club-HAL counselors. I don't know how much my 8-year-old will want to spend time in Club HAL, but if she finds another 8-year-old girl to play with I think she'll be happy anywhere. As you said, at that age, all they really need is ONE companion who they click with (although a group of 4 or 5 might be nice too, if they're reasonably well supervised).

I haven't managed to find any photos of Club HAL beyond the two very generic ones shown on the HAL website. I'm still a little concerned about just what is IN them -- I wouldn't want her in front of a computer or video screen all day. But it isn't clear from anything I've seen so far exactly what they DO do.

I'm not looking for a place to park her for the week, either -- I'm fully expecting she will come with us to all the ports, eat with us, swim with us... but I'd hope there would be some reason she would WANT to go to Club HAL other than to watch movies or play computer games -- in other words, something she CAN'T do at home.

Hello there, Former Cruise Staff, how nice to "see" you here again:) . I imagine that the Club HAL culinary program is brand new and still a work in progress. It will probably take some time to implement across the fleet .

BTW, and somewhat off-topic, there are a few CC members here who are wondering what the process is to become a Club HAL staff member, and what it's like? Please don't let my question scare you off; you need only say what you can, if you wouldn't mind. Thank you!:)

Karin

Unfortunately I haven't been around because someone contacted HAL while I was on the Maasdam and misquoted something I said on one of the boards here....they weren't complaining about my performance but I am a little hesitant to post anything too serious nowadays....

Club HAL staff and Event Staff are hired in a few ways...either through a recruiter (who should NEVER charge the prospective employee) or through the company itself.

I was hired in 2004 after applying directly through www.hollandamericaentertainment.com

The roles and responsibilities of event staff/Club HAL staff are changing greatly so it's hard to explain. Typically new recruits should expect to work 5-12 hours EVERY day and remain on board for 50% of the port days. Club HAL staff may also be expected to help out with adult activities onboard....the whole system began on the Rotterdam about a month before I left....

CLub HAL staff must have a college degree and the selection process is VERY thorough. The staff is evaluated on a regular basis.

All of the Club Hal staff I have met have been wonderful people who obviously love children and they do a terrific job EVERY SINGLE DAY you are on the cruise!

Hope this helps!

I began working with HAL as a Club HAL staff and switched between that and Assistant Cruise Director over the last 3 years....

You aren't REQUIRED to have a degree to be hired (out of all the companies I've dealt with RCI is the only one that REQUIRES one) but it sure is desired....to be hired you need to have extensive experience working with kids (camps, big brothers/sisters etc.) and be able to commit to a 4-6 month contract (though there are 1-3 week contracts available around the holidays)

Cruise ship hiring is ALL ABOUT TIMING...I was on a ship only 3 weeks after applying and I know other, equally qualified staff, who took years to land a position.

Hope that helped :D

I would be very interested in hearing more from former Club-HAL counselors. I don't know how much my 8-year-old will want to spend time in Club HAL, but if she finds another 8-year-old girl to play with I think she'll be happy anywhere. As you said, at that age, all they really need is ONE companion who they click with (although a group of 4 or 5 might be nice too, if they're reasonably well supervised).

I haven't managed to find any photos of Club HAL beyond the two very generic ones shown on the HAL website. I'm still a little concerned about just what is IN them -- I wouldn't want her in front of a computer or video screen all day. But it isn't clear from anything I've seen so far exactly what they DO do.

I'm not looking for a place to park her for the week, either -- I'm fully expecting she will come with us to all the ports, eat with us, swim with us... but I'd hope there would be some reason she would WANT to go to Club HAL other than to watch movies or play computer games -- in other words, something she CAN'T do at home.

Most Club HAL programming is hands on, interactive activities....for the few times where a movie is shown or the kids have access to the Playstation room, they will be published in the daily program of activites so you will know when and how long they run for

Thank you for all of your information. My daughter will be 23 when she graduates in May from college with a degree in elementary education. She has worked as a summer camp counsellor for 8 summers. During 3 years of her college years, she worked in the before and after school program for 1 - 6 graders. She is a big sister in the Big Brother/Big sister program. She has been a Sunday school teacher for preschool age kids as well.

In her resume, she has good references from all of her employers and directors. I hope she will be hired.

Thanks again.

Thank you for all of your information. My daughter will be 23 when she graduates in May from college with a degree in elementary education. She has worked as a summer camp counsellor for 8 summers. During 3 years of her college years, she worked in the before and after school program for 1 - 6 graders. She is a big sister in the Big Brother/Big sister program. She has been a Sunday school teacher for preschool age kids as well.

In her resume, she has good references from all of her employers and directors. I hope she will be hired.

Thanks again.

Persistance is the key....apply to all the companies online...if you email me I can give you links to a few reputable recruiters...

Archived