I, too, need help with accessories!

windango

I just bought this dress on ebay for formal night and it's really pretty. As you can see, it's pretty simple and I'd like to "jazz" it up with some pretty accessories. I'm hopeless when it comes to these kinds of things...I live in sweats and t-shirts. I have plain black sandals but they just don't look right with the dress. Maybe something glitzy? What about hair? I have shoulder length blonde hair and I was thinking of maybe an updo of some sort?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180150789569&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=008

Sorry about the link, I tried to attach the photo and it kept saying the size was too big. You'll have to scroll down to see the dress itself. As you can see it was relatively inexpensive and it looks pretty on. Obviously I'm attachment-challenged as well as accessory-challenged!

I would appreciate any suggestions!

I love that dress...it's very pretty, and classic.

I'm not the world's next fashion designer by any means, but I would go for a sexy, black, strappy heel. Go for the highest heel you can feel reasonably comfortable in.

The dress is so classy that I would not dress it down with much in the way of accessories. A simple gold or silver necklace. And a simple gold or silver bracelet or watch.

If you want to dress it up with color I would go for a wrap or shawl in just about any color you would like. You could choose a vibrant color that you know you look "great" in, and that will punch it up just enough without taking away from the great lines of the dress itself.

Hope that helps a bit. Good Luck!

Nice dress...I'm thinking silver strappy sandals and silver OR not-too-crazy rhinestones....

(like with a drop that maybe has a black stone in it........most dept stores like JCP and Kohls have what I am picturing....i know JCP does, i used to work there.....)

What a beautifully elegant dress! Because of the simple lines, you can have more fun with accessories.

The neckline screams for a choker or collar-type necklace. If you're brave, you can go with an elaborate gemstone and gold type (like this or this.

A more classic piece would be a 3-strand pearl choker, maybe with a single gemstone center focus (see here for an example). Or a even a simple black velvet ribbon with a cameo.

Matching earrings and maybe a large cocktail ring.

I'd go with strappy black sandals, but you could also do a peep-toe sling-back pump. You could do metallic sandals, matching the tone to your jewelry, but the more elaborate the jewelry, the less elaborate you want your shoes.

I hope this helps!

The dress is quite classic and so you can really do a lot of different things with it depending on your personal style.

For shoes, I think that black would be best. Patent leather is dressier and sexier than plain leather. So you could go with a patent peep-toe pump, a delicate sling-back or a black patent sandal. I agree with jazzdog that you should go with the highest heel you're comfortable with. And I'll add, the thinnest too. Don't get anything clunky or chunky.

For an evening bag, you could use a black or metallic clutch. Match metals. Don't use gold jewelry w/ silver clutch or vice versa.

Many women are chilly in the dining room. If you are, then bring a shawl. I'd recommend a sheer black one - I've seen some lovely ones with dressy embellishments like stones, or lace appliques. A silk, cashmere or pashmina would work too, but a sheer would be dressier in my opinion. If you use a metallic clutch, like pewter or silver, than you might find a nice sheer shawl in a metallic fabric. But don't go w/ a metallic shawl, clutch and shoes. :eek: (I'd skip metallic shoes altogether) I don't agree with the suggestion of a virbantly colored shawl to punch it up. Personally, I think that makes for a less formal, not more formal, look.

Hair - up or down. Whichever feels more like "you". If it's shoulder length and you're handy with a curling iron, then perhaps curl it with the new big curls they're showing now. That's a sexy, pretty and formal look. An updo, in my opinion, looks like "I'm trying too hard" on most women - unless it's a look they're very comfortable with and wear often.

Classic and elegant!! I think it screams for a choker as well. whatever you like. Pearl, rhinestone or simply a very long and narrow, chiffon piece (in black) that you would wrap around your neck and let hang down in the back. Silver pumps, silver bag, diamond/rhinestone jewelry and voila! If you do decide on a shawl, there are some amazing ones out there, look around!!

I saw a pair of shoes this weekend that I would wear with this dress. They are an Ellen Tracy peep toe pump in black satin with a leopard trim across the toe, stiletto heel with a gold bottom.

I wear a lot of classic black long dresses on cruises and prefer to jazz them up with interesting shoes and generally not plain black though a very strappy black sandal will also work.

I agree that a sheer, embellished shawl is your best bet if you choose to wear one and also that, should you choose to incorporate a metallic, keep it consistent.

:) Great dress- very classic and classy- I have a plain bl dress that I wear on every cruise. Mine has a sheer jacket(very short) with one button at neck which I usually take off since I'm normally warm and if I get a sun burn am very warm. They use shruggies -which I like better than a wrap since you're not having it fall off

I have a pair of bl sandals with black seed pearls(beads) on strap across toes so they sparkle a little and use either a gold metal or black evening bag. I wear these shoes with my cocktail dress too

If you're a pearl person a nice double strand (not too long) and pearl earrings can go and I think pearls are elegant

enjoy your cruise and dress

What a very pretty dress. Very classic/sophisticated. I like it.

I would definitely do black strappy high heels sandals. Maybe with a little rhinestone embelishment on the shoe and also I would defintely wear some sort of necklace/choker with rhinestones/diamonds and matching earrings and bracelet. I would stick to silver/rhinestones, not gold/rhinestone.

I am more partial to up dos for long elegant formal dresses, but I also have long hair. I would also bring a nice black shawl/wrap (satin or chiffon) that matches the dress as it does get cold in the dining room. If you do a purse I would do black (with or without some rhinestone embellishment) to match the shoes and dress. With this dress you can do alot depending on the look you want to achieve and get the "Wow" factor. I say go for glamourous!!:D

I'm the chunky type neck decor..unless it's a delicate lace-y, kind of style. I really like to make a statement w/jewels on a really plain frock that just screams "decorate me" at the neck/earrings..my vote..simple shoes, maybe a wrap worm low on the arms..you will look fab, no matter what

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought this dress on ebay for formal night and it's really pretty. As you can see, it's pretty simple and I'd like to "jazz" it up with some pretty accessories. I'm hopeless when it comes to these kinds of things...I live in sweats and t-shirts. I have plain black sandals but they just don't look right with the dress. Maybe something glitzy? What about hair? I have shoulder length blonde hair and I was thinking of maybe an updo of some sort?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180150789569&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=008

Sorry about the link, I tried to attach the photo and it kept saying the size was too big. You'll have to scroll down to see the dress itself. As you can see it was relatively inexpensive and it looks pretty on. Obviously I'm attachment-challenged as well as accessory-challenged!

I would appreciate any suggestions!

That dress is such a classic cut and shape that I would not overpower it with alot of accessories. I would not wear a necklace at all. The neckline is interesting enough without a necklace. As far as earrings, I would wear an understated drop earring (maybe in the shape of a tear drop). I would also wear a little bracelet that complimented the earrings and that's it for accessories.

A nice strappy open toe heel would work fine but not too high(not a stiletto heel for instance).

Happy Cruising!

Nice dress...I'm thinking silver strappy sandals and silver OR not-too-crazy rhinestones....

(like with a drop that maybe has a black stone in it........most dept stores like JCP and Kohls have what I am picturing....i know JCP does, i used to work there.....)

That's EXACTY what I'm thinking too. SIMPLE rhinestone jewelry (necklace & earrings). Silver strappy shoes. I would go with a black wrap though.

Hair - I would do a "partial" updo with some of it hanging around your face.

Archived