Yes, YOU can (and should) hike Diamond Head!

CaribbeanBound

Diamond Head is a wonderful hike just make sure you are healthy enough for it. I have read several times that elderly people made it up to the top but couldnt make it back down because they were so exhausted. Several people had to be airlifted off by a helicopter.

So if you have any doubts about your ability.....dont do it.

I wonder if those people who were airlifted had to pay for their helicopter ride.

That's bizarre. We lived there for 18 years and I never heard of anyone getting airlifted off Diamond Head.

It's also true however. Every once in a while someone will collapse on the trail. There was a newspaper story earlier this year about it. Not that big a deal, and it's not all that frequent.

Don't know who pays for the ride. Usually it's short, just being lifted off the trail to the crater floor where an ambulance would await.

Thanks for the awesome diagram and photos! My husband and I made this trip this past Sunday (sadly, we are back to the 'real world' now). We had pictures of the two of us from the top on the morning of our wedding day 12 years ago, and I was determined to get the same shot this time. We weren't quite as perky as 12 years ago but we made it! I second the recommendations for sturdy shoes, water, and would also suggest a hat.

I just got back from Hawaii this afternoon and posted complete details of the Diamond Head hike experience, with over a dozen pictures, covering every segment of the hike from arrival to departure.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/diamondhead.html

Hope this helps.

This is just awesome - thanks so much for sharing this. It gives a clear perspective to what it will really be like.

Archived