Yes, YOU can (and should) hike Diamond Head!

CaribbeanBound

Aloha. We lived in Hawaii for 18 years, and go back twice a year for about two weeks at a time on business. I am here today. The Diamond Head hike is so cool I do it every weekend that I am in Honolulu.

TIMING: While the park service suggests you allow 1.5-to-2 hours for a leisurely hike; the hike itself, rountrip, takes less than 55 minutes for an out-of-shape 47-year-old male. (I speak from experience. I was there again yesterday morning). This includes 8 minutes at the top for pictures, and 1 minute stops at 10 other locations for pictures. If you are fit, you can easily do the hike in under 30 minutes. If you are in worse shape than me, allow an hour. If you are in terrible shape, wear open-toed shoes, are carting a backpack full of junk, and the park is busy, allow 1.5 hours.

BIG HINT: get there as early in the day as possible. Go when the gate opens at 6:00 am if you can. It will be less crowded and much cooler. For reference, the gates close at 6:00 pm.

PREPERATION: I recommend sneakers (tennis shoes) or hiking boots, a lightweight windbreaker (wrap it around your waist in case it is needed), and a bottle of water (freeze it the night before if you can. It will be ready to drink when you get to the top).

COST: you can easily do this on your own. If you drive in, the cost is $5 per carload. If you walk in, the cost is $1 per person. You can take The Bus to Diamond Head for $2.00 per person each way but you'll have to hike into the crater, pay your $1 fee, and walk through the small parking lot before you begin the actual trail hike.

THE TRAIL: the trail is 1.6 miles roundtrip and climbs 560 feet from the crater floor to an elevation of 761 feet. The trail starts out next to a comfort station as a paved walkway, but most of the trail is pitted dirt and rock. The floor of the crater is full of kiawe (similar to mesquite), koa haole (trees with pods), and wild grass. Cardinals, doves, sparrows, and geckos are the most common critters. It takes about 5 minutes to traverse the paved walkway.

About 9 minutes of dirt and rock trail brings you to your first lookout area (and rest area for some). You'll have a good look at the eastern side of the island. The sun rises from this side.

1 minute later you'll find yourself at the first set of stairs. 74 steps lead you into the first, and coolest tunnel. It is dimly lit and runs for 225-feet.

You'll emerge from the tunnel 4 minutes later. Looking to your right, you'll see the daunting 99 step stairway. Look to your left, and you'll find another little rest area and lookout.

You can trudge up the stairs in about 3 minutes. Take a breath and proceed down a short tunnel to a spiral staircase.

Two minutes later, you exit on the 3rd floor of the staircase. Work your way to the concrete Fire Control Station lookout overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Duck your head and exit the station to your left. If you look down to your right, you'll see the Diamond Head Lighthouse. You're almost there!

It takes but a minute to walk the remaining 54 metal steps to the summit of the crater.

Now you can enjoy the brisk breeze and panoramic 360-degree views. You'll overlook all of Waikiki, catch planes landing at the airport, and can see as far as the Waianae Mountain range in the West. You can also see the eastern side of the island overlooking Kahala, Maunalua Bay, and two mountains beyond: Koko Head, and Koko Head Crater (which is home to Hanauma Bay on the other side). You'll see the sun rise from this side. To the North is the University of Hawaii, and the Pali Mountains. To the South is the Pacific Ocean. Allow about 25 minutes for your return trip.

MISCELLANEOUS:

1. if a snake jumps out at you while hiking, don't panic, it's only a stick. There are no snakes in Hawaii.

2. strongly suggest close-toed shoes due to the rocky, pitted, uneven mountain trail. I have seen folks wearing slippahs (flip-flops), crocks, and high heals --- but I don't recommend it.

3. I once saw a couple pushing a baby carriage up the trail. I couldn't believe it. I don't recommend it.

4. you will likely see very fit folks jogging all the way up the trail and back down, perhaps even running up and down the flight of 99 steps. Pretty awesome. Due to my vertigo, I'm just happy to make it back to the bottom of the 99 steps without falling. (If you have vertigo, just take the steps slowly, hang on to the rail, and concentrate on each step).

5. The entrance to Diamond Head Park is near the cross streets of Diamond Head Road and 18th Avenue. There is a Bus stop at the entrance.

6. Just a half-block down 18th avenue is the Hawaii Film Studios lot and sound stages.

Have a great hike!

Incredibly Useful Information: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/useful-info.html

Can't wait to do it myself! Thanks for the great info.

A question: I know that the bus drops you off outside the property, and you must then go up a hill to get to the parking lot. If we took a taxi to the Crater, would the taxi be able to drop us off at the parking lot, or must they drop off at the bus station outside the property as well. We're traveling with two kids and my father who has mildly impaired mobility, so I'd love to cut out any unnecessary walking prior to the hike itself...

We hiked Diamond Head in March, we made a morning of it and hiked from the Waikiki Marriott where we were staying, add 4.6 miles Roundtrip to the trek.

Kalakaua Avenue then left on Monsarrat at the Park, the trailhead is 2.3 miles from the entrance to the Marriott.

Click to Enlarge

<a href=2084329950079335670S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

CabinForFour: yes, a taxi will drop you off inside the crater at the entrance to the parking lot. There is a little turn-around for taxis and buses to drop off and pickup passengers just outside the toll booth for the parkling lot.

The toll booth collects $1 per walker or $5 per car. You might be able to get the taxi to go into the parking lot if you pay the $5 fee for the whole car. Talk to the taxi driver to see what he can do for you.

CabinForFour: yes, a taxi will drop you off inside the crater at the entrance to the parking lot. There is a little turn-around for taxis and buses to drop off and pickup passengers just outside the toll booth for the parkling lot.

The toll booth collects $1 per walker or $5 per car. You might be able to get the taxi to go into the parking lot if you pay the $5 fee for the whole car. Talk to the taxi driver to see what he can do for you.

Thanks for this info. My apologies for asking for more clarification, but my mind seems to be working in a particularly concrete manner today. :)

Referring to this map of the Diamond Head park (http://www.traveltohawaiireviewed.com/image_attraction/oahu/attractions/Diamond_Head/800/diamondhead-map.jpg -- click to enlarge), are you saying that both the The Bus and taxi would drop us off at the location indicated on the map as "bus stop" unless we could convince the taxi to take us through the toll booth and into the parking area for drop-off (thus paying the $5 parking fee)? Or is the "little turnaround outside the toll booth" that you referred to in a different place than that indicated as "bus stop?" If so, does The Bus go there to drop off or is it just for tour buses???

Thanks for this info. My apologies for asking for more clarification, but my mind seems to be working in a particularly concrete manner today. :)

Referring to this map of the Diamond Head park (http://www.traveltohawaiireviewed.com/image_attraction/oahu/attractions/Diamond_Head/800/diamondhead-map.jpg -- click to enlarge), are you saying that both the The Bus and taxi would drop us off at the location indicated on the map as "bus stop" unless we could convince the taxi to take us through the toll booth and into the parking area for drop-off (thus paying the $5 parking fee)? Or is the "little turnaround outside the toll booth" that you referred to in a different place than that indicated as "bus stop?" If so, does The Bus go there to drop off or is it just for tour buses???

A taxi can drop you off at the entrance by the information center and turn around without paying the $5 charge, this will save you a 5-10 minute uphill walk. The Bus will not enter the Park road, it only stops on the street.

The spot marked "Bus Stop" is for the local city bus, called appropriately enough "The Bus". Commercial buses and taxis drop folks off in a turn-around at the toll-both entrance to the parking lot. It is not marked on the map. (The map was made before there was a toll). It is located inside the crater where the small thin road meets the parking lot.

Note that the information center is on the hiking trail side of the parking lot. It is well past the toll booth (about 150 to 200 yards).

I just hiked Diamond Head last week before our 8/25 cruise. I am over 50 and am moderately active. I walked 2 miles a day whenever the weather permitted 2 months before the trip to get ready. I had no problem with the trail portion of the hike until I got to the steps. I did this hike 7 years ago and had no problem. The stairs are tough. I really didn't think I would make it. It was hot and humid and I think the heat was getting to me. I felt extemely nauseous. I would recommend that anyone doing this hike take water along and take it slow. On the way down I saw a few people younger than myself sitting on the stairs with their head between there knees. After the pavement the trail is extremely uneven - I am concerned for the person who said their dad had limited mobility. You do see all sorts of people in all kinds of footwear making the hike.

Pat

Agreed. As I mention in my post...

BIG HINT: get there as early in the day as possible. Go when the gate opens at 6:00 am if you can. It will be less crowded and much cooler. For reference, the gates close at 6:00 pm.

PREPARATION: I recommend sneakers (tennis shoes) or hiking boots, a lightweight windbreaker (wrap it around your waist in case it is needed), and a bottle of water (freeze it the night before if you can. It will be ready to drink when you get to the top).

I recently hiked Diamond Head and was glad I did. I'm an out of shape middle aged male like CaribbeanBound describes.

My wife has bad knees, so I planned on hiking myself. After a surfing lesson that totally wore me out two days before my scheduled hike of Diamond Head, I was seriously thinking of cancelling the trek. Thankfully, I didn't.

For a single hiker (more are fine, but may not be worth the cost), I suggest going with Oahu Nature Tours. http://www.oahunaturetours.com/adv-diamondhead.html

They picked me up at my hotel and dropped me off. The tour guide, Joseph, (also our driver) made the hike interesting with a few stops along the way, giving us history of the formation of the volcano as well as how certain plants and animals found found their way to Hawaii. The cost was about $20 and I didn't have to walk alone, add more length to the hike, worry about catching the bus, etc. I didn't have a rental car, so this took care of the logistics of getting there and back. We had a van load of about 10 people. This was a well spent 20 bucks.:)

I also hiked with Oahu Nature Tours. I was glad we were with someone had hiked the trail dozens of times when I wasn't feeling well. The guide really helped me and kept checking up on me and motivated me to reach the top. When I hiked Diamond Head several years ago I went with them also. I was visiting Oahu alone and didn't want to do the hike by myself. I did the sunrise hike and it was October which made a difference in the temps and humidiy. The recent hike was 9:30 and we were probably on the trail by 10 and back by noon. There were lots of people just starting out on the trail when we were leaving.

Pat

BIG HINT: get there as early in the day as possible. Go when the gate opens at 6:00 am if you can. It will be less crowded and much cooler.

I did DH top hike in late May at 4:45pm start (after doing beautiful Makapu'u lookout hike beforehand but its also long dry exposed-to-sun trek too). DH trek was hot, humid with afternoon sun hitting you directly most of pathway. Several folks were scattered along the trail, and I heard remarks like "I can't go any further" and "I'll wait here for you", etc. It was strenuous climb in heat (including 54-NARROW-step iron circular stairway right by top).

I did roundtrip in about 45-mins. but I jog alot and was rushing to beat the park closing. Glad I did the climb and got some great pix. The entry attendant asked where we were from on entering park in rental car and I had sense that at that late time she wasn't going to let us in but did since we weren't locals.

Good Luck.

I just got back from Hawaii this afternoon and posted complete details of the Diamond Head hike experience, with over a dozen pictures, covering every segment of the hike from arrival to departure.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/diamondhead.html

Hope this helps.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :) Now we know exactly what to expect and are truly looking forward to this wonderful experience.

I just got back from Hawaii this afternoon and posted complete details of the Diamond Head hike experience, with over a dozen pictures, covering every segment of the hike from arrival to departure.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/diamondhead.html

Hope this helps.

...for your efforts. This is so explicitly detailed. Thanks for your extra effort. This is a wonderful resource for all Hawai'i bound members.

Archived