Binoculars: 10x overrated?

knorrisb07

Thanks for the great suggestion on this board, we prepared ourselves with 4 pairs of binoculars during our recent cruise to Alaska (two pairs of 10x42, one pair of 8x42 and one pair of 10x25). Everyone in our party had a great time watching wildlifes in this trip. I have found my 8x42 works equally well as the 10x42 does, meaning if the stuff is too far to be seen by 8x, 10x won't help much either. Yes, bears did appear closer and bigger with 10x than 8x, but I enjoyed the sweeping view of 8x better.

Thanks for the great suggestion on this board, we prepared ourselves with 4 pairs of binoculars during our recent cruise to Alaska (two pairs of 10x42, one pair of 8x42 and one pair of 10x25). Everyone in our party had a great time watching wildlifes in this trip. I have found my 8x42 works equally well as the 10x42 does, meaning if the stuff is too far to be seen by 8x, 10x won't help much either. Yes, bears did appear closer and bigger with 10x than 8x, but I enjoyed the sweeping view of 8x better.

well, I like both 10x and 8x format. But I do feel 10x is still slightly better (just my personal experience and opinion)

How hard was it to keep the 10's steady?

unless you use 16x or more, 10's shouldn't be a problem to hold it steady

Archived