Likelihood of upgrade?

cnvh

Hubby and I booked a VF GTY for the Halloween Noordam out of NYC. In checking the fare summary on HAL's website today, I see that the VF category is "Closed," while VE's and higher are listed as "Available" or GTY.

Does that mean we stand a pretty good chance of getting upgraded? :)

I'm perfectly happy only being upgraded within our category, if not to a suite-- I would just prefer not to have a solid-steel verandah like a handful of the VF's have, but if we got one of those cabins, it certainly wouldn't ruin our cruise... we got a GREAT price on the VF GTY, and if we get stuck with a steel verandah, so be it-- we got what we paid for!

Upgrades move from the bottom up, not top down.

By this you bean we're guaranteed at least a VF or higher, correct? otherwise I'm confused...

I thought that all VG's have steel balconies but only a handful of VF's do; I thought some VF's were plexiglass railings. Hmm, will have to go re-consult the deck plans...

Either way, a balcony is a balcony is a balcony-- as long as we HAVE one, whether it's a steel railing or not is a relatively minor point, as far as we're concerned.

Seems that the VF's on the Upper Promenade deck all have steel railings, while the VF's on the Verandah deck are all plexiglass... but there are more VF's on the Upper Promenade deck than on the Verandah deck, so the odds of getting a steel railing within the VF category are greater than 50-50.

Oh well, as long as I can see the ocean and feel the breeze one way or another! :)

You are guaranteed to have at least a VF. That is what you bought and HAL will assign you a cabin of that category or higher. Just have to wait and see which one you end up with. :)

Hope you have a great cruise on that fabulous ship whatever cabin you are assigned.

By this you bean we're guaranteed at least a VF or higher, correct? otherwise I'm confused... /quote]

You will get a VF or higher grade cabin. That is the basis for a VF guarantee.

Overselling cabins equal to and less than a VF is what will help you get upgraded, not a lone vacancy in a higher grade.

When booking a guaranteed cabin, one accepts that they may get the worst cabin, the one no one else wanted, in the cat. booked.

Regardlessof what happens, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Archived