WHAT??? No Casual Nights in the Dining Room?

Jaycue52

I have to voice my opinion on this subject and remember this is my opinion only. Anyone can dress as they like. Whatever you decide to wear during your vacation will not ruin my vacation...(unless it's smelly and you happen to be sitting next to me)

I just received my documents and I quote,

"The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches, or other places of worship, may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board. "

Although it does not specifically state that jeans are not allowed, come on people, jeans should not be worn in the Main Dining Room or the Pinnacle Grill. If you go out to dinner in a fancy restaurant in your hometown, don't you dress up a little? Granted you're on vacation, but isn't this vacation special for you? Are dress slacks and a shirt too much? A pair capris and top too much? I just don't understand why people wear jeans while they are on vacation...maybe they are planning to go hiking or do yard work right after dinner.

We just returned from a 7-day Alaska Cruise on the Amsterdam last week. Our very first cruise!

On our two formal nights, I think we only saw ten tuxedos in the Dining Room...most men were in a dress shirt and slacks, and ladies in dressy slacks and tops. I wore dresses, and felt a little out of place!

We had two, I think, nights that said "Smart casual" and three that were specified as "casual". Seemed to be polo or collared shirts & khakis for men on both occasions, and slacks and tops for the ladies. I did see a few jeans in the dining room in evening, I thought this was a no-no?

On the last night, which was "casual", I saw a lady in sweat pants in the dining room...come on, dress up a LITTLE!

In the Lido for lunch, most were t-shirts and shorts, casual slacks or jeans for both sexes. Did not see any bathing suits...

I agree with whomever said that this is a special vacation, dress the part.

In my opinion, it was fun to 'dress' for dinner after being on tours or lounging around all day.

Just my opinion.:)

Very often, on the last night of the cruise, people will wear the clothing that they are going to wear on the plane going home as they have packed the other clothes. I think that this is permissible along as it isn't your "grubbies".

Marilyn

Is anyone wearing only long dresses or long skirts anymore on formal nights or is everyone wearing some kind of dressy slacks on some of the formal nights? I mostly wear dressy slacks with a variety of tops- beaded, dressy sweaters, etc. and of course more elaborate jewelry.

This is not to start a formal night arguement, believe me. I just had noticed that there are many many slack/dressy tops outfits and I wondered if any of the ladies are sticking to the long dress/skirt exclusively.

So has anyone actually been on a HAL cruise since the switch to "smart casual?" DH and I are going on a 12-day Panama Canal cruise next April--so there will probably be what, 3 formal nights? On the "smart casual" days, I was thinking that I would wear things like skirts/pants with dressy tanks/sweaters, but should I expect that there will be a lot of people wearing jeans? DH might be relieved, but I actually like to dress up a little!

We have been on five HAL cruises since HAL started permitting jeans in the dining room and we have seen VERY, VERY FEW. Yes......there were a few people on each cruise wearing jeans but they were a tiny number out of all the guests.

They are permitted and they were let into the dining room and no one said anything to them of which I am aware.

The vast majority of lfemale guests wore nice skirts/pants with dressy tanks/sweaters/tops as you describe. Most of the gentlemen were in dress trousers, nice belt with a nice shirt/polo jersey. Some men wore dockers and that is fine.

Is anyone wearing only long dresses or long skirts anymore on formal nights or is everyone wearing some kind of dressy slacks on some of the formal nights? I mostly wear dressy slacks with a variety of tops- beaded, dressy sweaters, etc. and of course more elaborate jewelry.

This is not to start a formal night arguement, believe me. I just had noticed that there are many many slack/dressy tops outfits and I wondered if any of the ladies are sticking to the long dress/skirt exclusively.

Yes......many women are still wearing long dresses and long skirts. I do. I also sometimes wear dressy crepe pants/palazzo with very dressy tops as you mention. And definitely add some baubles. :)

The comic strip CATHY used to discuss the difference between "dressy casual" and "casual dressy" It was so funny, ans of course, Cathy always chose the wrong option. I found that there was quite an overlap between my informal and my casual. So I'm all set for country club casual. I doesn't take any longer to dress up in something nice.

It was our first cruise and it was on HAL. The website says "smart" casual for men is slacks and shirt. I interpret that as "no jeans' but it doesn't specifically say "no jeans". So we saw men in Jeans. My wife wore dresses and skirts for the smart casual nights and she said she felt overdressed. It seems to me as long as you don't wear shorts and slippers you're OK. Is anyone going to kick you out??? I also saw guys in t-shirts,so much for HAL's rules. Nikes, sneakers, tennis shoes, those all seemed to be OK too on casual nights. On formal nights there were guys in tuxes, but the majority wore coat and tie or suits. There weren't many women wearing formal dresses, or outfits you might see at the black and white ball. Most were in dresses or skirts that weren't real formal to me or suits. When it comes down to it, if you like to dress up, just do it. If you don't like to get too dressed up, that seems to be OK too. Has anyone ever really seen someone get sent back to their room to change???

Has anyone ever really seen someone get sent back to their room to change???

YES, both on the Volendam and Amsterdam, I saw guests being turned away and asked to change out of shorts for dinner in the man dining room. The maitre 'd tapped the "gentleman" on the shoulder and requested that he change into "long pants." As the man in question was wearing the kind of loose, baggy "shorts" that end below the knee, he replied he was wearing long pants. The maitre 'd replied, not long enough! You must change your attire or dine in the lido.

Hurrah!

Personally, I kind of wish that HAL would further their definition of "smart casual" to say that jeans and sneakers are NOT allowed. Is it so hard to put on a pair of Dockers and a collared polo shirt? IMO, those kinds of clothes are just as comfortable as jeans and actually travel better!

I was also kind of disappointed to see Grammakel state that not too many women were wearing dresses on FORMAL nights. I might wear a dressy pants/jeweled top outfit for one of the formal nights, but on the other nights, I'm pulling out my dresses, the ones I never get to wear anyplace else! Part of the reason I liek going on a cruise is to wear some of the clothes I can't wear elsewhere (like long gowns!). I guess maybe HAL wasn't the best choice for us attire-wise.

When in doubt, Wikipedia......

Smart casual (as distinct from Business casual) is a loosely defined dress code, casual, yet "smart" enough to conform to the particular standards of certain Western social groups.[1]

As "smart casual" is not formally defined, the lines between it and the other casual styles (see Dress code (Western)) are often blurred. For example, some may use the term Smart casual to refer to Business casual. See the link below, "Cracking the Dress Code", for details.

It has been suggested that smart casual consists of a suit or sports jacket and/or a sweater, with an optional tie. [2]

Empowerment Enterprises suggests that mens smart casual includes "wearing dress trousers (or even crisp jeans), a long-sleeve shirt, maybe a tie, leather loafers or dressy slip-on's, patterned socks or solid-colored dress socks, a tipped belt, and you may or may not wear a sport coat." They say also that the sports coat is required with jeans. They state that female smart casual includes "slacks, crisp jeans, or a skirt (long or short), a blouse or turtleneck, a fashionable belt, a jacket, a vest, or a sweater coordinated to your outfit, hosiery or socks with boots, flats (leather, suede, or fabric) or mid-heel shoes."[

How about No Baseball Cap on backwards.???:eek: :eek:

The problem then becomes the ambiguity of the word "backwards". :D My son, 10 years ago, would have considered baseball players as wearing their baseball caps "backwards". :eek:

Personally, I kind of wish that HAL would further their definition of "smart casual" to say that jeans and sneakers are NOT allowed. Is it so hard to put on a pair of Dockers and a collared polo shirt? IMO, those kinds of clothes are just as comfortable as jeans and actually travel better!
I would be surprised to find anyone who truthfully could say that they cannot find a pair of Dockers that are as comfortable as denim jeans. Denim wears well, but until it is very substantially worn (and shows visible signs of same) isn't as comfortable as Docker IMHO.

I think the penchant for jeans, therefore, comes from matters of style, concerns about durability, and/or simply a matter of jeans serving dual-purpose (hiking and dining, perhaps, in the minds of those who make that selection). However, more likely, those of us who wouldn't wear jeans to dinner simply don't understand why those who do, do and would. Hopefully, a jeans-at-dinner fan can answer the query you posed: Why jeans instead of Dockers?

I have to voice my opinion on this subject and remember this is my opinion only. Anyone can dress as they like. Whatever you decide to wear during your vacation will not ruin my vacation...(unless it's smelly and you happen to be sitting next to me)

I just received my documents and I quote,

"The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches, or other places of worship, may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board. "

Although it does not specifically state that jeans are not allowed, come on people, jeans should not be worn in the Main Dining Room or the Pinnacle Grill. If you go out to dinner in a fancy restaurant in your hometown, don't you dress up a little? Granted you're on vacation, but isn't this vacation special for you? Are dress slacks and a shirt too much? A pair capris and top too much? I just don't understand why people wear jeans while they are on vacation...maybe they are planning to go hiking or do yard work right after dinner.

All I wear on vacation is jeans....because that is who I am. I certainly don't go around wondering why people dress up on vacation - I figure thats who they are. I had no hiking to do or yard work to tend to while on the Noordam in June and got along just fine in my jeans the whole cruise. As did my husband.:D

All I wear on vacation is jeans....because that is who I am. I certainly don't go around wondering why people dress up on vacation - I figure thats who they are. I had no hiking to do or yard work to tend to while on the Noordam in June and got along just fine in my jeans the whole cruise. As did my husband.:D

I don't care what you wore.....jeans, nice linen pants, beautiful silk ensemble.

What I am interested in is .... Were you aware HAL has a dress code when you booked your cruise? Did you read the Know Before you Go booklet HAL sends with our documents and read about the dress code in that booklet? Did you consider what that code is and what were your thoughts about the fact you booked at cruise ship which had a dress code? Did you ever consider whether you would abide by their stated dress code?

My reason for asking is to wonder how HAL may be failing in letting cruisers know about their code. Do people know about it and ignore it or were they genuinely and sincerely in the dark about it?

MadelineRose - were the 1st two pictures supposed to be Country Club Casual? Been to quite a few "CC's" and that (1st 2 pictures) is certainly not what was being worn for dinner on a "regular" night. Nothing even close.

While I don't consider HAL's suggested "Code" to be the be-all and end-all of what I wear, I certainly will consider it and abide by it to my idea of what is appropriate. I think common sense is the key word here. Most people have enough common sense to dress appropriately. Maybe not as dressy as some would like, but nicely.

While I don't think jeans are appropriate for formal night, I realize that in California at least, in some "high-rent" districts they are considered the height of fashion. Of course in those cases, the jeans and top have cost as much as any designer gown and can be very attractive indeed. So, again, if someone shows up in jeans - what kind of jeans are they?

In any event, against my better judgment and every instinct I have, I have bought a long gown for this cruise. I have absolutely no other use for it ... except to tell you the truth I love it!:)

MadelineRose - were the 1st two pictures supposed to be Country Club Casual? Been to quite a few "CC's" and that (1st 2 pictures) is certainly not what was being worn for dinner on a "regular" night. Nothing even close.

Golfette,I posted what I would consider wearing on "CCC/Smart casual" nights on HAL. I've been to country clubs for dinner also and the attire runs the gamut, dependent on the season.

Are you saying the 2 dresses, iyo, are too casual for the country clubs you've attended? Please elaborate.

I also added a sentence at the bottom of my post that elaborates on what I understood is worn on Oceania, which is totally ccc.

I have cruised on Regent, which is country club casual. The pictures madelinerose posted outfits that were commonplace day and evening. For dinners, quite a few men wore sportcoats and the ladies were in dresses, skirts and tops with pretty heels or sandals. I would wear those or similar on HAL for smart casual though I am not much of a flats gal myself.

I never saw jeans or shorts in the dining rooms for dinner on Regent and imagine they would not have been acceptable.

The issue with jeans, IMHO, is that people will push the envelope and wear not so nice jeans with rips and ragged hems. When you open the door to jeans - which I think HAL made a mistake in doing - then it is downhill from there. It has happened on the other lines who now have no control at all at the outfits worn in their dining rooms.

MadelineRose - in looking closer at your 1st two photos, I see the more casual look in them (the fabrics) and, yes, I can see wearing them at Smart Casual. At first I took them to be much more elaborate. What I see here at CC's are mostly nice capris and tops and some "gauzy " (spelling?) or cotton full skirts with tops. Sometimes even tennis or golf attire; although the tennis outfits are usually in the very early summer evening.

Caviargal - you are right about the jeans issue. I think the question of jeans that causes friction is the fact that a lot of us on the West Coast see "nice" designer jeans as a fashion statement and not as the horror that some seem to regard them. But, then, the latter folks are reacting to the type of worn, torn or "regular" jeans that one often sees and I can certainly understand those feelings and agree with them. The problem is semantics and jeans seem to be "genaric" for all denim wear.

I have cruised on Regent, which is country club casual. The pictures madelinerose posted outfits that were commonplace day and evening. For dinners, quite a few men wore sportcoats and the ladies were in dresses, skirts and tops with pretty heels or sandals. I would wear those or similar on HAL for smart casual though I am not much of a flats gal myself.

I never saw jeans or shorts in the dining rooms for dinner on Regent and imagine they would not have been acceptable.

The issue with jeans, IMHO, is that people will push the envelope and wear not so nice jeans with rips and ragged hems. When you open the door to jeans - which I think HAL made a mistake in doing - then it is downhill from there. It has happened on the other lines who now have no control at all at the outfits worn in their dining rooms.

Thanks, Kim. ;) To be honest, I didn't even really pay attention to shoes in the pics. They were for reference only....in other words, for the poster who was asking the meaning of ccc, any of the pics or variations thereof, would work.

Archived