Radiance ques.-Lunch on the first day

Ah, yeah, I didn't think about that - forgot the tongs are put back in the food. Maybe you can still bring your own tongs and be the first to get there or get the first serving from when they bring out the next bowl of whatever when the other one runs out?

Perhaps you can pack some energy bars and/or snack foods for yourself in your carry-on, if there is anything like that that you can eat. I might be doing the same thing, since I also have a limited menu and couldn't use a tong if it had stuff from another dish on it that you could see. I almost never see that, though, so am pretty okay with buffets, as long as there is something I can eat (and nobody is sneezing into them or let their child put his hands into the food!).

Actually, in the Windjammer, the salad greens/veggies are first and the croutons last on the buffet line, so I seriously doubt if anyone would use the crouton tongs for the salad greens as you have long passed that section when you get to croutons and other toppings - so, you could feel pretty safe eating that and some of the meat that is freshly sliced for you. Then there is always fresh fruit set out as well as gelatin-based desserts.

Thanks to you both! I hadn't thought of getting there right when they open but that is a really good idea. Much less chance of cross contamination. I think I'll try that.

I'm definitely bringing my own food supply. This is so I have something to fall back on should I get poisoned or get in a travel bind where I can't get to a known good restaurant.

This is my first RC cruise so information like this on the Windjammer Cafe is much appreciated! It does sound like the order of things will be in my favor. Thanks for posting it!

Best,

Michelle

Hi Quampapetet,

Were on the Hawaii round trip Oct. 21st. I'll post a review when I get back. I'm surprised there are so few Radiance reviews. On most boards it seems after every sailing there are one or two posts reviewing the cruise which is very helpful for those of us about to sail.

Best,

Michelle

I hate to say it but I doubt you will be allowed to use your own tongs in the buffet. How do the rest of the people on the cruise know that your tongs are sanitary? I run a restaurant and there is not even a doubt in my mind that letting customers bring their own utensils would be against a health code.

I hope you are able to find a solution to your problem but I just wanted to give you a heads up that RCI probably won't let you use your own tongs.

Michelle,

My friend was fine in the Windjammer on Radiance...there is plenty to eat there that is no way connected with foods with flour/wheat...the one thing you need to watch for is things that are thickened, or with soy sauce...they have plenty of vegetables...they even had ham and roast beef that they carve...there were burgers with the rolls seperate so you never had to go near them...plenty of fruit all the time...rice noodles are available...and yes they brought my friend gluten-free bread every night to the table and even had it sent to Chops the night we ate there...we did take dried fruit and nuts for the plane but everything else he ate on the ship...

actually one day he ate something in port that had flour and got sick but was ok after awhile...

Go and enjoy...they will take good care of you...

This is exactly the info I need to hear. Can you tell me the dishes your friend found safe? I generally don't eat chicken when I'm out since it can be injected with a gluten soln from the manufacterer. Did he find the chicken Ok? What about french fries? If they are in a dedicated frier (no breaded products ever fried there) then they are ok. Any favorite dishes or great deserts? Is the ice cream ok? What about the potato chips?

Thanks and I hope you see this and your friend doesn't mind answering.

Michelle

Were on the Hawaii round trip Oct. 21st. I'll post a review when I get back. I'm surprised there are so few Radiance reviews. On most boards it seems after every sailing there are one or two posts reviewing the cruise which is very helpful for those of us about to sail.

Have a blast!! :D

I'll be looking forward to your review, both of the ship itself (though mine's a Caribbean voyage) and of the food situation.

I've looked at menus I've found online (photos of the menu that somebody took and posted to Webshots or whatever) and it looks like I'll be having the pasta with marinara sauce for dinner each night with the rolls for appetizers (except one night where they have chips & salsa for an appetizer, as I can eat that). I might be able to eat dessert on some of the nights, too. For lunch, I'm not sure what foods are on the menus, but I know the ship has pizza, which I can eat. For breakfast, I'm not a big breakfast eater (don't normally have anything other than my Ensure), but could eat waffles or Rice Krispies or a bagel. So, I know I won't starve to death on the cruise, which is good! :)

This is exactly the info I need to hear. Can you tell me the dishes your friend found safe? I generally don't eat chicken when I'm out since it can be injected with a gluten soln from the manufacterer. Did he find the chicken Ok? What about french fries? If they are in a dedicated frier (no breaded products ever fried there) then they are ok. Any favorite dishes or great deserts? Is the ice cream ok? What about the potato chips?

Thanks and I hope you see this and your friend doesn't mind answering.

Michelle

Have you contacted RCI and asked them these questions?

You can't be the first passenger to need a gluten free diet.

I would think that they should be able to advise you what contains gluten and what doesn't.

Archived