Radiance ques.-Lunch on the first day

I have a food allergy that makes eating at the buffet dangerous. On some cruises there has been a restaurant open on the first day for lunch but often hardly anyone knows about it. We are sailing on the Radiance for the first time. Does anyone know if there is a restaurant open for the embarkation lunch?

Thanks,

Michelle

I have a food allergy that makes eating at the buffet dangerous. On some cruises there has been a restaurant open on the first day for lunch but often hardly anyone knows about it. We are sailing on the Radiance for the first time. Does anyone know if there is a restaurant open for the embarkation lunch?

Thanks,

Michelle

The Windjammer is the only place open for lunch on the first day... sorry.

I just pulled this off of another thread, hope it helps.

Food & Beverage

s.gif

Q: What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer?

s.gifA: We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate special needs such as:

Food allergies

Gluten-free

Vegetarian (except for vegan/macrobiotic)

Low-fat

Low-sodium

Lactose-free/soy milk, Ensure, and kosher meals are no extra charge. All you have to do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing. Just send an e-mail that includes the guests' names, reservation ID number, ship's name and voyage date to the relevant address below:

Food allergies - foodallergies@rccl.com

Kosher meals - kosher@rccl.com

(Kosher for Passover meal requests MUST be received 60 days in advance in order to be accommodated.)

Indian-style vegetarian meals - Indianvegetarian@rccl.com

Gluten-free/celiac meals - glutenfree@rccl.com

Fax requests may be sent to 305-539-6018 Attn: Special Meals Request

E-mails will receive an automated response. Faxed requests will also receive a response provided the guest provides an email address. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are faxed or e-mailed less than 45 days of sailing are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

We were just on Radiance and I have an allergy to tomatoes and my friend is Gluten-free (Celiac) and we did not have any problems, even in the windjammer...as a matter of fact, they were making large sandwiches and cutting them into pieces and I went over and asked for one without tomatoes and he made it up for me special...one night we went to Chops and our waiter staff called them and told them and they were prepared for us when we got there...

when you get on and go to the Windjammer just pick carefully...and/or ask anyone serving food for help...

Enjoy your cruise Radiance is beautiful...

Do you know what items your friend found safe at the buffet? Any other eating tips or recomendations from them? Any particular must try items or things they know now that they wish they knew before the trip?

I have also found that there is someone directing everyone away from the open restaurant who will say only the buffet is open on other ships which is why it pays to be in the know.<big grin>

Thanks,

Michelle

I have never found the dining room open for lunch on any RCCL ship on the first day. Believe me - I go check every time. They won't stop you from entering the dining room, there just won't be anybody there to serve you. I always go and look at where my table is located.

Thanks! I had forgotten this is one of the single big dining room ships, so it makes sense they wouldn't have it open since folks are checking their dining assignments. So now I'm wondering if room service is available for lunch or mid-day snack on the first day?

Thanks,

Michelle

Thanks! I had forgotten this is one of the single big dining room ships, so it makes sense they wouldn't have it open since folks are checking their dining assignments. So now I'm wondering if room service is available for lunch or mid-day snack on the first day?

Thanks,

Michelle

To the best of my knowledge, Room Service is not available for lunch on the first day.

on some ships. don't know if its RCCL or not but they have a bouncer outside the restaurant telling people its not open but sometimes it is

I have never seen the dining room open for "general" seating on the first day, BUT, if there are a large number of folks doing a B2B, they will sometimes have a special luncheon in the dining specifically for those doing the B2B on their turnaround day. Perhaps that is what was happening with the "bouncer". He was just making sure only those invited were allowed in. FYI, for these luncheons it is a limited menu, usually a choice of 2 appetizers and entrees, not a full menu.

I did get a reply and a very nice one at that. So far I've been really impressed with RC and the folks on this board! I'm really looking forward to our cruise now!!!

I have received your notice regarding gluten-free meals and will

forward it

to the ship.

Once on board please meet with the Maitre 'D to review the menus and

address any questions you may have. Please note that if you choose to

go

into the other restaurants other than the Main Dining Room please meet

with

the Manager for that particular restaurant to go over the food items

with

you regarding your food allergies before eating.

The ship does not have a gluten-free menu per se. However, there is a

daily

alternative menu that includes plain, roasted beef, chicken, fish,

plain

rice and baked potatoes. The ship also bakes it’s own gluten free

breads.

Soy milk, lactose free milk and vanilla-flavored Ensure they are free

of

charge. If you have not done so already please provide your vessel

name,

voyage date, and booking ID number. Your request for these alternative

drinks will be forwarded over to ship. Please note we do not specify

brand

name, type or flavor for the Soy milk or Lactose free milk.

Guests are allowed to bring on board their own supply of dry,

nonperishable

food items such as cookies, chips, cracker, energy bars, etc. You may

also

bring individual packets of your favorite salad dressing.

Royal Caribbean International will not receive, store prepare or serve

any

meals brought on board by our guests. These meals will be discarded

immediately.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Best regards,

Kendra Prince

Dietary Culinary Coordinator

Royal Caribbean International

kprince@rccl.com

That's good that you got a reply. :) I've sent the special needs addy an e-mail several times, but never got back a reply. But I've called the Access Desk and had no problems speaking with the lady there (had to see if my TA ever called in my needs - she hadn't, so I gave them to the Access Desk myself). She even replied to a couple questions I had on e-mail once she e-mailed me the document I had to fill out (I had questions about the document).

I think it is great that they supply Ensure, but I'm still bringing my own. If they run out or don't have the kind I drink, I'll be in big trouble!! (I get very ill if I do not have an Ensure every morning - it's a med for me, thanks to some meds I was on that really screwed me up.)

I have never seen the dining room open for "general" seating on the first day, BUT, if there are a large number of folks doing a B2B, they will sometimes have a special luncheon in the dining specifically for those doing the B2B on their turnaround day. Perhaps that is what was happening with the "bouncer". He was just making sure only those invited were allowed in. FYI, for these luncheons it is a limited menu, usually a choice of 2 appetizers and entrees, not a full menu.

Lunch in the dining room on embarcation day is also offered to Travel Agents doing ship inspections. It is by invitation only.

Thanks for posting this. I did not know the main dining room was closed on port days. I'm still pretty hesitant about eating at a buffet. Something as little as someone using the tongs to grab a bread product like croûtons and then the salad can make me sick. Or where someone uses the same tongs to grab lunch meat and their bread for a sandwich. Does Royal Caribbean by any chance not allow people to serve themselves? The ones where the servers serve the food are much safer for me.

Thanks,

Michelle

Thanks for posting this. I did not know the main dining room was closed on port days. I'm still pretty hesitant about eating at a buffet. Something as little as someone using the tongs to grab a bread product like croûtons and then the salad can make me sick. Or where someone uses the same tongs to grab lunch meat and their bread for a sandwich. Does Royal Caribbean by any chance not allow people to serve themselves? The ones where the servers serve the food are much safer for me.

Thanks,

Michelle

Most of the time, passengers serve themselves at the buffet. When there is a current or recent outbreak of Noro or other health related issues occuring they will temporarily restrict passengers from choosing their own items and have staff plate things for them. Each ship's buffet is set up a little differently, but in most cases the bread items are not displayed by the meats, so that may help your situation. Croutons... that may be a problem. As suggested, I would meet with the staff once onboard and they can help you with your specific needs.

Qampapetet,

Thank you for the suggestion. It has been amazing to me through the process of learning to be gluten free to understand how little it takes for cross contamination. Unfortunately if the dish's tongs got contaminated they could then contaminate the dish and then bringing my own wouldn't be safe. As anxious as I am to see the ship I'll likely try to eat before I get on and then wait until dinner. I think we have early seating so that will be helpful.

Best,

Michelle

Archived