What do you wish you had left at home?

flagger

This is reposted from the Celebrity board. I hope no one minds.

I am a planner by nature with almost military precision and frankly it is stressing me out. Between airline weight limits, packing in layers for Alaska (shorts or jeans, coats or shirt sleeves) and packing all the accountrements necessary for traveling with a 15 month old toddler, I have begun to lose site of the fact that this is SUPPOSED to be relaxing.

I have scanned all of the various lists, made several trips to Sprawl-mart, Target, the dollar store and finally said enough is enough with all of this $*%T!!! (Ok maybe the locks or zip ties before turning them into the porters is a good idea, what is one more trip), but I digress.

Whether you are a first time cruiser having recently gone on that first ship or someone who has quite a few days at sea under their belt, what are the items that you never used, wished you had left at home or said "Now why on earth did I bring that?"

Please share your tips on what should just stay home.

CLothes....think we all just pack way too darn much....I am at fault! Am also a planner by nature.....and the 1/2 back out of the suitcase is probably right. 2 of each shorts, long pants/jeans, 2 swimsuits, 2 t-shirts, etc. except underwear, for each 5 day trip....and for each 5 day extra add 1 item therefore....10 days equals 3 shorts, 3 long pants or jeans, (sorry still 2 swimsuits, ) 3 t-shirts etc. and shoes.....1 pair walking, 1 sandals, 1 boat type, 1 heels/dress!

Laundry is cheap....and t-shirts, etc. are can be purchased if have to!!!

I would rather have my fun toys as such and necessities than clothes!

Lou

My first thought was the wife, then maybe the kids. But I guess the real answer is the clothes. We over pack, a shirt and shorts for the day, long pants and polo shirts etc for at night plus an extra or 2 in case of an accident. We never take into concideration that we will buy some new shirts or that we can wash stuff or that we will use one shirt for the entire day thus you see the 5 of us coming with 10 bags.

We're leaving the four kids behind.......which in turn means 16 suitcases as well. WOW! We'll actually have a light load this time.

Also leave behind all your worries & guilt that your going & your friends & family are not.

Please take along that bubbly personality, extra room for loads of food & of course triple the cash!

We should have left behind several of the dress clothes, for my husband who wore the same pair of pants a couple times ( he only wore them 2 hours a night), We should have left behind all the extra shoes. I learned my leason on the first 2 cruises ( I packed way too much, as we were driving to the port) this time we are flying and I am planning on 1 suit case each. (my husband and I will share 1 suit case and then we will have 1 garment bag.)

A hairdryer! I know the room will have one, but I always bring one anyway! I think it's an illness. But, I love my over-the-door shoe hanger (maybe because I need room on the counter for my hairdryer)!

What I wouldn't take--1/2 the clothes we packed, Video Camera, never used it on 3 cruises, it always had moisture in it in the tropics and would not work. But, we always use our binoculars and would be upset if we forgot them, but then we usually have a balcony, if we didn't we probably wouldn't drag them around the ship to use them. However, we did bring them to the beaches or on tours.

If I was a b****y sort, I'd say you probably have some extra room, Flagger, since you don't tip the staff!

That was uncalled for, while i am not a fan of a lot Flagger's posts. This is a legit questions and deserves a legit answer.

the over the door shoe thing, the extention cord and the nightlight. never found any use for them. and only once did i need the duct tape when the suitcase ripped. so that, i bring a flat pack of not the big roll like some people. too many clothes

I wish I'd left backpacks I'd brought for the kids to carry at home - I ended up having to lug them all through the airports myself anyway!! I also wish I'd left my huge SLR camera at home and just brought our smaller, more compact digital camera - I hate having to lug it everywhere!

Patty W,

I bring mine too as I don't know the wattage & my hair is tempermental with any dryer other than my own.

We are cruising with another couple this time so I'm working on a list & I'll split that with the other couple so we'll each have less to pack.

I agree 1/2 the clothes...but double the money!
YEP!

I bring mine too as I don't know the wattage & my hair is tempermental with any dryer other than my own.
I have stopped bringing my hairdryer but can't do without my electric curlers. I have really thick hair and have found that between the balcony (wind) and the ship/s hairdryer, I do just fine.

I used to haul binoculars and never used them.
I didn't take mine last time, however, I missed seeing the passengers being left at the dock this time.:D I do plan on taking them to Hawaii with me...shouldn't I?

the over the door shoe thing, the extention cord and the nightlight.
I think I may try the over the door thing this time. I would like to find some with smaller clear pockets (not shoe size). A small plug adaptor is all you need. Might bring a night light for my father to use in his room. Last cruise, he got up in the middle of the night and tried to walk into the closet insread of the bath.

Wish we had not taken our old collapsible cooler as it leaked everyday. Have a new one now!

I usually pack too many shoes... well I carry my own luggage so it is no big deal.. but now I try them out a little more before I cruise. I have a pair of fantastic looking but very uncomfortable and prone to slide off my foot, silver heels that I wish I had left behind me.. So now I try to get fewer shoes with more outfits.. Well I try.. I really do try... OK I fail.. but I do try : )

Archived