Its All Over The News In Hawaii

ssindy

[quote name='newmexicoNita']I don't know if you are sure of your remarks about a disgruntled employee but I do believe you. I also believe NCLA is trying to salvage this ship and itienerary by doing as much as they can. Another thread referred to the problems being solved in about 6 weeks. This came from reliable sources. Would I book POA right now? Nope, would I refuse to book any ship on this line because of one bad apple? Nope! Give it time, will it ever measure up to say, the Dawn or Star or Sun? Perhaps not, but I am getting a bit tired of hearing the same stories over and over. The point has been made: the experiences are not good, now, unless there are new experiences different from the past 6 or 7 sailings can we get onto another subject? PLEASE!

NMNIta[/QUOTE]

I agree with you NMNita.... With ncl waiting by the telphone for our calls and with management people from NCL on board... now would be a good time to give them a chance.... Now next week we should receive more positive reviews.... In the time between now and then... We can discuss what?

The bad reviews and problems of POA have taken the joy out of our preparation before the cruise. Usually, two months before the sailing, we would be chatting about CC party on board, what to bring, what excursions to pick, looking forward to the food ... Yes, that's the point. Oh, our old countdown clock is not working now.

The anxiety associated with a potentially sub-par cruise experience has taken the fun out of our anticipation. On the other hand, I'd rather know now than later. Thanks to CC boards, we do have a choice before cancelling is no longer an option. I welcome other positive encouragement from recent POA passengers to keep our minds open and informed. I am more of an optimist than my dear wife though. She is not having fun.

I figured out the right phone number for NCLA 1-888-NCL-Hawa later last nite...but since I booked through a TA they "couldn"t talk to a passenger" I guess on some plane that makes sense, but the phrase sounds a little standoffish to me. So I guess I will contact my TA and have her ask when I can cancel without penalty. We are booked on Mar. 27.

dpohlman,

If NCL couldn't talk to you about your booking. maybe you should have asked them about this artical on KITV 4 News in Hawaii, which the story aired last night. Which is about how NCL has gotten rid of some of the ships management.

[url="http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/travelgetaways/3685451/detail.html"]http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/travelgetaways/3685451/detail.html[/url]

SSINDY.... I checked out the address for the article of the POA... This is current information? How could this be true.... They said that the Captain, the Hotel Director and the Housekeeping Director have been replaced for cause? This was on a T.V. Station in Hawaii? Is it your opinion that this report is correct and true?

i believe that the articale is accurate, because what was stated in the article is what i was told by my sources on the ship. These figures were fired because of the ships performance but, it is my opinion that the captain has no control over the passenger service issues. thats why they have a Hotel Director on the ship. The captain is incharge of the deck department and sailing the ship, not with the ships service issues.

[quote name='dpohlman'] So I guess I will contact my TA and have her ask when I can cancel without penalty. We are booked on Mar. 27.[/QUOTE] It's usually 90 days out and before final payment is made. You're so far out that it should be a simple phone call by your TA saying you cancel.

NMNita..... I was trying to stay away from any comments on the poa for at least a few days... Now after calling ncl at 1-888-ncl-hawaii today.... to confirm the 30 day cancellation without penality... I feel that I need to say that it appears that I was overly optimistic that they were working to help the passsengers of the poa....

That number is their regular number for reservations for Hawaii... I called twice and could not get anyone to admit or discuss reported problems on the poa....

Then after much talk with a supervisor I finally heard her say... Yes they will help passengers that booked with ncl directly to obtain a full refund under 30 days... Otherwise the passengers must allow their TA handle all request for assistance or refunds...

I will now refain for a few days.... Can you recommend a South American Cruise? February 2005.....

[quote name='Traveler39']I will now refain for a few days.... Can you recommend a South American Cruise? February 2005.....[/QUOTE] For what it's worth...NCL's South American cruise was great. I took the Dream in March 2002. Fantastic!

[quote name='ssindy']dpohlman,

If NCL couldn't talk to you about your booking. maybe you should have asked them about this artical on KITV 4 News in Hawaii, which the story aired last night. Which is about how NCL has gotten rid of some of the ships management.

[url="http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/travelgetaways/3685451/detail.html"]http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/travelgetaways/3685451/detail.html[/url][/QUOTE]

I hate to burst your bubble but this is not only NCLs policy, it's all cruiselines: when a reservation is made through a TA, that reservation belongs to the TA and under no circumstances I know will the cruiseline discuss anything with the cliant. What proof do they have you are who you say you are. Like it or not, this is policy. NMNita

Cecilia... Thanks for the info... I am looking into the Dream now.... We saw a newspaper travel article many months back with a review of a South American Cruise and it was just what we are looking for in a cruise but I lost the article and all information... Thanks..

I don't think anyone here doubts Ssindy's credentials, he has been posting for a few months now.... I hope this thread does not start with the personal attacks again. It has been a pleasant read so far- I hope it stays that way.

One may even wonder if another is really a travel agent, espescially when they continually mispell "client"- A word a travel agent should have to write hundreds of times per day:) I don't want to personally attack but just point out inconsistancies in one's own writing. Please don't let this become mean ccers. :)

On my way home from a beautiful trip to Kauai today... don't want to come home. Has been great and have seen several local articles on the POA in local newspapers.

If Dalwhitt happens to see this I did try Zelo's - good bar food:)

yes, it is sad when people try and bash me when i post things, especially since i do know alot regarding the POA. did anyone see the front page of the Honolulu Adertiser this morning?

[url="http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Aug/28/bz/bz02a.html"]http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Aug/28/bz/bz02a.html[/url]

if NCLA hasn't figured it out by now, they will never figure it out. because these service issues will only get worse when the new POA ship comes out and we will go over these problems again!

I've always had doubts that an American crew could or would give the kind of service we've received on other cruises. And I doubt that a union will be a plus. We are so spoiled by the service on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, HAL and Costa I've always thought this experiment was a mistake.
How long or if the service and conditions can be improved to compete with the other lines is a very big question mark.

[quote name='ssindy']yes, it is sad when people try and bash me when i post things, especially since i do know alot regarding the POA. did anyone see the front page of the Honolulu Adertiser this morning?

[url="http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Aug/28/bz/bz02a.html"]http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Aug/28/bz/bz02a.html[/url]

if NCLA hasn't figured it out by now, they will never figure it out. because these service issues will only get worse when the new POA ship comes out and we will go over these problems again![/QUOTE]
The problem ssindy is that you come across as having an agenda beyond just "helping" those on this forum with information. In one post you said [I]"im not working there anymore... i was given the shaft by NCL! ".[/I]

mbuenzli, so what if i have an agenda! if the POA was such a great ship and everything was all good then, i wouldnt need to nor want to post all the juicy stuff. NCL has created this problem themselves! what i have posted is either fact or my experiences. i dont make up stuff and post it! i relay info i receive, observed, or from my experiences. if you dont like what i post then dont read it! Blame NCLA dont blame me!

[quote name='ssindy']if you dont like what i post then dont read it! Blame NCLA dont blame me![/QUOTE] These boards are for everyone and I don't see anyone blaming you for anything.

If anyone has something to add to the discussion, please do so but also observe the guidelines set forth by Laura.

We have a few of our fellow C.C. er's that like to use the phrase - Is your glass half full, etc.... That is a good phrase or point of view when dealing with life and the things that you can not change.....

In some situations like the one we that are booked on the POA face .... we could look at our Half full/ Half empty glass as just a glass that needs to be refilled to it's full potential....

I want my glass ( my cruise on the POA) to be full.... I want it to be what I paid for in this cruise... What I planned for over 2 years...A nice cruise experience or a full glass of joy and happiness on the cruise....

Hi folks, just got in from Hawaii. Please excuse my typo(s) "inconsistencies" above, could only check in for a brief moment from the hotel's computer.

Anyhoo, Ssindy, if you have any information that can't be printed here I would always like to hear it at [email]cnmiranda@yahoo.com[/email]:) You are welcome to write anytime:)

Yes, I saw 2 articles in the local newspaper about the POA while in Hawaii, the last mentioned on the front page of the HNL Advertisor. Looks like local officials are getting involved because they are concerned a bad cruise may tarnish Hawaii's reputation. Maybe this is the push needed to get the ball rolling and make for a better cruise ship.

Soooo tired. Will catch up later.

Happy travels.

I am glad to see that the problems our fellow cc'ers have been reporting for the last two months are finally getting some national attention in the media. But, having said that, I can't help but think much of the substance in these articles is simply reporting what to us has become "old news." Its been a rough start for the POA, and there are many service and food related issues. But, by all accounts I have read on this board, things have gradually been getting better over the last two months.

In other words, I don't think that these articles necessarily indicate that reported improvements on the POA have suddenly taken a step back and that NCLA once again has to go back to the drawing board. On the contrary, recent reviews of the ship indicate that NCLA has made many changes to alleviate problems onboard. (There appears to be a setback in service issues due to the fact that some of the "veteran" staffers on the POA are now taking their month vacation. But, otherwise, service seems to be improving). Having followed the POA from its inaugural sailing, I think us cc'ers have a better understanding about the positives and negatives on board the POA at this time.

At first these stories worried me that things were getting worse, not better. But, thanks to our fellow members, I don't think that is the case. Recent reviews have noted that long lines, room stewards and buffet quality are still problems, but things seem to be getting relatively better than before.

And, if things really are getting worse, then I am all the happier that these stories are being published . . . because they are more motivation to NCL to correct problems more quickly.

[quote name='Traveler39'] We saw a newspaper travel article many months back with a review of a South American Cruise and it was just what we are looking for in a cruise but I lost the article and all information... Thanks..[/QUOTE] I did a review of the trip and I have several digital pictures if you're interested. South America was one of my favorite cruises...just behind the Baltics trip.

Everyone...please don't make personal statements or question other people's motives for being here. If you feel like someone is innapropriately posting, please report the post. Getting into debates about what motives are only leads to arguments and those have to be removed. It's a tough time right now for the POA and its passengers. This is a lose-lose situation right now for most involved. The best thing we can do is report the facts and track the progress.

[quote name='elephant98']I am glad to see that the problems our fellow cc'ers have been reporting for the last two months are finally getting some national attention in the media. But, having said that, I can't help but think much of the substance in these articles is simply reporting what to us has become "old news."[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are news reports as recent as yesterday that are documenting many of the same problems, with accounts from passengers who just disembarked yesterday. It was stated on another thread the one of the head honchos was cruising this week, so I do expect things to get better. I just hope to hear that they are getting better soon as final payment is approaching. In addition, I want some assurances from NCLA that things will not deteriorate once the "trouble shooters" leave. I want to see permanent fixes, not just temporary solutions.

Archived