Cruise review Aurora 3n cruise to Amsterdam and Bruges

LibraLass41

AURORA 3n Autumn Break 2-5 Sept 2007

When we arrived at the City Cruise Terminal, we had to queue to write out labels if we wanted the porters to deliver cases to the cabin. The queue for this at 12.15pm stretched back all the way to the entrance to the dock gate 10. This was because P&O had not sent us luggage labels with our tickets, in a trial scheme. A 2nighter cruise I went on in Dec 06 had labels, but some ‘suit’ has decided to cut costs at HO. This did not work, as most people who are packing for one formal and 2 smart casual nights + day wear require at least one case per person. We were taking my 79 year old mum in law on this cruise and were not prepared to lug 3 cases, suit carrier and our hand luggage onto the ship and to our cabins. And why should we, when we are paying a very high price per person for this short cruise – much more expensive pp than a longer cruise! After we disposed of the cases we then had to drive to the front entrance of the embarkation lounge as per a longer cruise, where CPS took the car away. Then a very long snaking queue just to go through the scanners (which we have always done after check in?? and never a queue) Then the next queue was to check in, seemed much more long-winded than a fortnight cruise.

Anyway went straight onto the ship, no waiting in the lounge. After a drink (which we were over charged for £16 for a glass of lemonade, one glass of wine and a magners cider??? –) we had lunch in the Crystal bar and then cabins were ready at 1.45pm.

We had an Outside cabin with a balcony (IB grade) which is smaller that the state room with balcony.(Photos of this are on my photosite loaded today), it was very clean and we were happy with it. I was very pleased to see we had 2nd sitting, even though I was wait-listed, really didn’t expect to get it atall. Someone gave me the restaurant managers email address, and I emailed him asking for a table and I’m sure this helped – best to email about a week before the cruise, not too soon, just before he is doing his table plans. (the address is : aurest2@pocruises.com or aurest1@pocruises.com ) I sent my email to both, as wasn’t sure which one we were going to be in as it happened we were in Alexandria, the same as on our 2n cruise in Dec 06. The service was very slow the first night, It took ½ hr for the wine waiter to come and see us after we were seated, but the service on night 2 & 3 was much better. I think that they were a bit slow because all the waiting staff are needed in the beginning of the sitting to show guests to their tables, and it seems to put them back a bit.

The food was excellent on all 3 nights. On the formal night I had Asparagus spears with herb butter sauce, Pumpkin soup, Champagne sorbet, Lobster Tail Thermidor, and Chocolate soufflé.

The entertainment on one night was Richard Digance, and Michael Nicholson OBE the war correspondent did an after dinner speech.

On arrival at Rotterdam, I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice port, our trip for today was ‘Amsterdam in a Nutshell’ and we left at 10.15am, and were not due back till 6.30pm. I was a bit concerned that formal night would be night 2 as per usual, but was hopeful it wouldn’t be. No one seemed to know for sure beforehand, and some said probably it would be. But again I was pleased to see it was scheduled for our last evening. It made sense as we were not sailing from Rotterdam until 11pm and quite a few pax would be in Amsterdam. Also it would have been a rush to get changed and ready for the gala party if we didn’t get back till 6.30pm, especially on first sitting.

Our guide for the Amsterdam tour was a lovely 30 + Dutch chap who spoke excellent English in his Netherlands twang. He talked all day and pointed out things to us. Saw lots of windmills on the ride from Rotterdam to Amsterdam. After a tour around Amsterdam we arrived at the boat station and went on a covered boat trip along the canals. They were fascinating, lots of houseboats, and things to see. We got more than we bargained for at one point, when a beautiful 19 something girl flashed her boobs at us, it was quick, and some men missed it, much to their disappointment!! Haha! The canals are very deep our guide said, - 3 metres (1m water, 1m dirt and sludge, and 1m old bikes!!) There are so many bikes in Amsterdam – they are everywhere, even saw a cycle multi storey car park! (photo on site). The guide said people don’t buy new bikes as they get stolen so you will see people from all walks of life from drs and solicitors to students cycling on old bikes. You can buy a ‘2nd hand (stolen) bike for 30e – but a bike secure lock chain to keep it safe costs 50e he chuckled! I was amazed to see young mums/dads with small toddlers on the handlebars, or in a tiny wooden cart being pulled along in the heavy traffic, no one wore cycle helmets??? It seems rules are different over there, even though we are all still in the EU.

Then we went for a 3-course lunch, included in the tour price. We had a Parmesan and tomato salad, with Dutch dark rye bread, a glass of wine/beer/orange juice was included, then chicken breast with cabbage and potatoes, and chips (!). Then a very nice apple and sultana pie and cream. Next we drove out of the city and visited a clog factory and saw how they were made, and a chance to spend some euros. Then we stopped at a windmill for a photo opportunity. Our guide told us the occupiers of a windmill can stay there rent-free if they keep the windmill in good repair including the thatch, seems a good deal.

The guide also told us Amsterdam is a very liberal city where most things go…. And we did drive past ladies in thigh high boots sat in shop windows, and he pointed out cafes were soft drugs were available with your coffee ! The 2 main rules of Amsterdam are….. respect other people – and pay your taxes !!! (which are very high) then you will be left alone…

The sail away at 11pm from Rotterdam was lovely. Lots of twinkling lights on both sides as we sailed slowly through the narrow waters. I sat in the Crows nest with my blue lagoon cocktail listening to Caravan right by the front window looking out. - Bliss !

The next day was Zeebrugge. We had booked a Bruges at your own pace tour at 12.30pm. So after a leisurely breakfast we explored the ship, and had a coffee. Then got the coach from the harbour side for the 25min run into Bruges –this trip is £22 pp and there were 3 of us. It may or may not be a bit cheaper to take a taxi both ways if there are 3 or more of you in your group. I think a taxi is about 40-50e each way, but am not 100% sure. Had a lovely time in Bruges, looked around the cute chocolate and lace shops, had a fab Belgian waffle with Belgian chocolate sauce and ice cream and a coffee which saw us through till the evening dinner that night. (well I did have a cooked breakfast that morning !). Went on a boat trip again , but this one was much prettier with very old buildings, flowers, views of the horse and carts etc. Only 5.50e pp.and lasted ½ hr. We had just 3 hours in Bruges, so had to make way back to the guide then who took us back to the coach. There is a ¼ hr walk each way from the drop down point over cobbles at quite a fast pace to the Bruges town. Poor mum in law just about kept up – she is 79 years old.

That night was formal night, everyone was dressed up – nearly all the men in their black tux and ladies in long dresses/cocktail dresses. Went to the pre-dinner gala party before hand, which was nice as usual, with plentiful free drinks and canapés.

Had a chat with Auroras new Captain –Paul Brown, mentioned cruise connections, and he said about a cc party held on there a few weeks ago. He has been a Captain for just 8 weeks – bless!

That evening it was Richard Digance again in the Curzon Theatre – a different show, or you could see a show ‘Oh Boy’ a new theatre company show, in Carmen’s . We saw the show which started at 11.45pm. After that it was back to the cabin to change and put cases out for collection. The hallways were full of cases, which confirms that most people seemed to want portage service.

And that was it ! A very nice 3n/4 day break. A good way to cure the PCB’s after a longer cruise, or a chance to try out a ship you haven’t been on and explore it.

I saw no people drunk , and no corporate parties, just families enjoying themselves with children or older parents.

I will be trying the Ventura 2n cruise next September, a year from now, just to explore it, so it will be Bruges again. There is a photo of Grand Princess who we sailed out with at the beginning of this cruise. She is just like Ventura we were told, except for a few minor changes, so it you want to see the shape of her have a look at my photos on this link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Aurora3nAmsterdamAndBrugesCruise

Now on countdown to the next one… 16n on Arcadia in May 08.

Sue

Sue, thanks for the review. I've read some comments on another board from someone else who was on the same cruise and the comments about the luggage tags were raised there as well. But apart from that you sound as if you had a good time.

I liked your photos, too, both of the places visited and of the ship. I see that some people were using the pool and sunbathing!

Here's a couple of questions for you:

a) what did you think about the 'hull-hole' balcony? From the pictures it seems a bit 'enclosed' to me; how did you find it?

b) Now that you've been on both: do you prefer Arcadia or Aurora? and why?

Tom

Here's a couple of questions for you:

a) what did you think about the 'hull-hole' balcony? From the pictures it seems a bit 'enclosed' to me; how did you find it?

b) Now that you've been on both: do you prefer Arcadia or Aurora? and why?

a}

The balcony was 'ok' To tell the truth I thought I was getting a lovely balcony like Arcadia 's- but no ! now know the difference, on Aurora she has 2 types.... as you say a 'hull-hole balcony' which is described as a 'OUTSIDE WITH BALCONY' and a Stateroom with balcony' which is like Arcadias (all Arcadias are stateroom balconies)

It was enclosed so you wouldn't get tanned, but then again, it is sheltered from wind. If I went on Aurora again i would have a stateroom balcony cabin.

b} We both prefer Arcadia. Mainly because of the child free aspect. I got slated for saying this on cruise connections, but we do like child free. And our worse fears were confirmed when we had a 12month old baby on 2ND SITTING, which didn't start till 8.45pm by the way, on the next table to us. The baby grizzled and cried, and spoilt the ambiance for us. We also had a baby by us in the Champions bar, and again at breakfast. I am a mum, and have been for 21 years, but I cruise for peace and relaxation and enjoy what Arcadia offers me. Aurora has some very good aspects ofcourse - the tiered stern decks with the sun loungers, a proper cinema a slightly better crows nest perhaps. But Arcadia has a wonderful hydro pool and spa, a contempoary design and I like the Aquarius deck. The food was better on the Arcadia.

This was my 2nd Aurora cruise by the way, although both were just short ones. I am sure she is wonderful on a hot cruise. If one came along out of school holidays I would be on her in a shot. Unfortunatly it was the end of school holidays for some, although kids in our area went back to school monday 3rd, so i was kinda hoping not many would be onboard, but since discoved some schools didn't go back until today.

Sue

Sue,

thanks for the review. We are doing the 2 night cruise in December so it was helpful. Hopefully they will change the embarkation procedure for that one.

We have the same type of cabin as you so the pics were great. When I looked through your album I'm sure I know you from somewhere! I grew up in Bristol(Kingswood) and lived all over the city until we moved to Newquay 13 years ago. Maybe our paths have crossed at some time.

Julie

Archived