New Ww Program

doone

I lost 75 pounds on the flex program last year, but have put back 13. I'm going on a cruise October 30 and plan on taking off the 13, plus about another 7, as I want to have some breathing room before the cruise. So with that kind of goal I don't want to try something new at this time.

However, I don't think that the core plan will work for me. I'm one of those people that can eat until I'm well past satisfied, so I would not think that any plan that will allow me to eat as much as I want of certain foods is the right one for me. However, DW took off almost 30 pounds last year, and her personality is such that core might work for her. So having the option of flex or core is good as each person can select what works for them.

Perhaps I will try core for maintenance after losing the weight I will inevitably put on in November.:D

Well, they have actually only had three different "programs" over my 20 year experience with them: the Exchanges program, the Points program, and now this new program. They do have to come up with a new advertising campaign every year, in order to feed new members into their revenue stream, but the underlying dietary basis for the program has only changed those two times, in my memory.

Don't forget the "Fat and Fiber" plan, which I think was a bomb. But I think WW has it right with their new program, at the meetings they do deal with trying to find/learn the skills to eat until you are satisified not stuffed, a skill which in the long run is key to maintaining weight loss. The core program stresses taking out the processed foods, white flour, sugar, hydrogenated fats yet gives you enough freedom (a few flex points or optional calories) to make it liveable. I also was a fan of the exchange plan as I think it stressed nutritional accountablity (sp), I think CORE is a modified/simplified version.

"activy points aren't counted until either week 3 or 4, I forget which... you aren't supposed to earn them until then so you can focus on the plan itself until you're used to it. You are supposed to keep excersizing if you already are though

Your week 4 (I think it's 4) booklet comes with all of the information, and another slider to help figure them out. You've done the work backwards by figuring out the calories for a point, but it's not foolproof that way, better to deal with the ap points as separate units and not think of calories... the emphasis with activity points is earning them, not using them" Cooper_Beeches...

This is so wrong, as you earn your activity points you are encourage to use them, actually you are encourage to use every point you have. If you need to use every flex point you have, GO FOR IT!!! The more (healthy) points you use the faster your metabolism works and the faster the quicker you burn your fat. I've been OP since 4/04 and i am also an etools user and first of all you use your activity points (AP) before you use your flex points and we all should exercise to earn them. I've been working out since i started and have lost a total of 35 pounds and have eaten every AP and flex point i have. The boards at ww.com are awsome, go for the newbies for more help. Good luck

Don't forget the "Fat and Fiber" plan, which I think was a bomb. But I think WW has it right with their new program, at the meetings they do deal with trying to find/learn the skills to eat until you are satisified not stuffed, a skill which in the long run is key to maintaining weight loss. The core program stresses taking out the processed foods, white flour, sugar, hydrogenated fats yet gives you enough freedom (a few flex points or optional calories) to make it liveable. I also was a fan of the exchange plan as I think it stressed nutritional accountablity (sp), I think CORE is a modified/simplified version.

Just to demonstrate that different programs work for differerent people, I did well on the Fat and Fiber Plan. I didn't do so well on the Points program, which so many others swear by. Just this weekend I pulled out my old books and began the Freedom Plan (exchange program) because I agree with you that it may be the best all-around healthy eating program and for me, it's simple to following without thinking too hard about counting points, calories, etc.

Joy

You were allocated (based on height, I believe) a certain number of exchanges for protein, a certain number of exchanges for vegetables, a certain number of exchanges for fruit, and a certain number of exchanges for bread/starches (?) each day, as well as a target for number of glasses of water. You were to hit those targets precisely, not going over or under. "The Book" outlined how much of each thing constituted how much of which exchanges. While WW's exchanges were their own, they often matched the diabetic exchanges printed on most prepared food containers.

CantWait2Cruise,

Everything bicker said is true. The thing that was so bad (IMO) compared with flex points was that you could only eat things you cooked yourself from scratch. With flex points you can eat anything, as long as you had the nutritional info. With exchanges, unless a product listed the exchanges you couldn't eat it. So things like WW meals or Lean Cuisine was OK. But you could not look at a nutritional lable and turn it into exchanges.

Bicker is right, except that the number of exchanges is based on current weight, just like the other programs. Orcrone is right too, in that it's difficult to measure or judge exchanges even if you do have the nutritional info. The WW booklet does have what they call combination foods (like canned soup or restaurant meals) where they determine for you that you are eating 2 Breads and 1 Protein and you count it as such. Everyone also gets 250 "bonus" calories each day to eat on anything that doesn't fit neatly into another category - or a glass of wine with dinner, etc. Also, the Freedom Plan allows you to take weekends off if you wish. Of course your weight loss will be slower and they do encourage you to eat at the lower end of your range the days before and after, but it's built into the plan. I don't think anyone who works hard to lose weight 5-6 days a week really wants to go hog-wild on the weekends, but it's nice to go to a wedding or special event and forget about counting. In theory, the points program should be the best and most flexible, but for whatever reason, I didn't have much success at it --- maybe I just didn't follow it carefully enough, but when I didn't get good results, I threw in the towel. After I get started on the Freedom plan and see some success (and get bored with the program), I will likely return to the points - I'd even bought the eating out guide which is really useful in point counting.

Joy

I am a firm believer in the WW plan. I have totally changed my way of eating and so far I have lost 18lbs in 8 weeks. I have not tried the core plan yet. There are a group of women in my meetings that have done the Flex points plan and have gotten to a plateau in their weight loss. The aforementioned ladies decided to try the core plan to see if this helps them get back into the weight loss zone (thats what I call it) well it seems to be helping them. All five of the ladies have lost 2-3 pounds per week. This is after plateauing (might not be a word, you get the picture...lol) for a couple of months! I think this is a good thing ...I know that when I reach that point I am going to try it out.

One other thing I would like to say is I really don't agree with people on this board talking about the plan in a negative manner. You have not been attending meetings or have the litrature on this program. I want to stay positive in my attitude and my chosen lifestyle change. The negative comments only make me and I'm sure others question the choice made. So please try to be positive. Everyone has their opinions, true, but try to help those of us who are trying to lose weight or should I say struggling to lose weight. If you don't have weight to lose, great for you, but I do...so please be supportive. Thanks. :)

Oh by the way good luck to everyone who is trying WW or another weight loss program! I hope we all are gorgeous babes on our upcoming cruises (me...maybe not gorgeous but a little smaller would be nice :) )

Oh by the way good luck to everyone who is trying WW or another weight loss program! I hope we all are gorgeous babes on our upcoming cruises (me...maybe not gorgeous but a little smaller would be nice :) )
I appreciate the sentiment, but DW would not be too happy if I turned into a gorgeous "babe".

Archived