Unexpected foot attire

teaach

Three days before leaving on 1st ever cruise, to Western Med., I am told I need ankle surgery. It will have to wait! Meantime, I'm wearing a "boot" to immobilize my leg. My question is --- Is getting around going to be a major challenge to my enjoyment? I know my shore excursions will be limited now but am hoping there are some alternatives. Anyone had any experiences to share? :confused:

So sorry to hear that. I have chronically bad ankles, and will need surgery at some point, so I can kind of relate.

There is alot of walking involved on a cruise, no doubt about it. Even on sea days, you're going to log some mileage just trekking around the ship. But you can still have a great time, IMO.

For excursions, you're going to be limited, but that doesn't mean they're out of the question. Talk to the folks at the excursion desk, and ask them about options for your limited mobility. You're going to have to skip the hiking trip, but maybe a bus tour will be manageable. Or consider just staying onboard on port days. With a good pair of binoculars, you'll be able to at least see some of the port city, and I love sitting on deck when almost everyone else is off -- so peaceful and relaxing.

On ship days, remember those ships are huge, and it's possible to walk miles and miles in a day. But a little planning will help reduce the number of steps you have to take. For example, when you go to the pool, take a tote with everything you'll need for the whole afternoon, to avoid making unnecessary trips back to the cabin. Or take a good book and settle into a quiet spot to rest your foot for an hour or two. Be sure and grab a drink on the way, so you won't have to get up again.

One great thing about cruises is that you don't go to the scenery; the scenery comes to you! Take advantage of that, relax and let the world go by. :)

I walk with a cane, so I understand your limited mobility. Europe will be a challenge as some places haven't come out of the dark ages in terms of mobility. Be very careful walking on those cobblestones---those insipid things can be a killer for feet and ankles. Have you considered a scooter or wheelchair? That might be a lifesaver for you. Another thing might be to consider private tours in the more physically challenging cities. Taking a bus tour can be limiting because in many areas, the buses have to park quite far from the things you want to see, but in a private car, they can usually park very close to whereever. For instance in Rome, if that's a stop for your cruise, the buses park blocks and blocks from the Vatican, Trevi Fountain and the other great tourist sites. A private car gets you right next to St. Peter's and Trevi. Check to see if your cruise line offers tours with smaller vans rather than the big buses. I know RCCI offers tours that only take 14 passengers and they use much smaller vans, so those got us really close to the sites.

Hope this helps

It cant be any worse than my travel companions, neither can do steps. One is on a wheeled walker and the other has balance problems and falls easily.

We have to go to shows early to sit in the back because one cant do even one step without it being pretty much awful.

We manage somehow.

Thank you to those who took time to reply to my query about mobility limitations. Celebrity has arranged for a folding wheel chair to be available to me during the entire cruise so that could cut down on the miles logged in my boot. I appreciate the tips about the tote and the private car. This is our first cruise so we want to make the best of a challenging situation. :)

Thank you to those who took time to reply to my query about mobility limitations. Celebrity has arranged for a folding wheel chair to be available to me during the entire cruise so that could cut down on the miles logged in my boot. I appreciate the tips about the tote and the private car. This is our first cruise so we want to make the best of a challenging situation. :)

Well, Celebrity seems to be thinking in the same vein that I am. You may need the chair at times and other times you should do ok without it. I've not had to deal with this sort of issue personally, but I did spend several years working with a voluntary health organization and we often found that folks who normally did not need a chair were better able to get around at times with one.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Doc:D

I really feel for you. Yes, the med will be a big challenge, and the advice on private tours is a good one, but expensive. There is only one or two cities that I can think of that would be relatively easy, even in a wheel chair -- Venice is one, flat streets, not much cobble stoning. I have seen these canes which fold out to a seat allowing the walker to take a rest when needed. You might want to look into one of those. Another consideration would be how much pain you might be in from overuse.

I just reread your post, and I guess you are already gone! oops!

Archived