Custom Air (Question)

Gary&Anna

I have a question about customizing air travel to London through RCCL. We presently have ship transfers but would like to customize our travel by flying in 2 days earlier than the day of the actual cruise (out of Harwich). Does anyone know if we lose our transfers if we change our arrival time by 2 days? Our PVP says we will lose the transfers by doing custom air. Has anyone actually experienced this? We explained to the PVP that we would go back to the airport (incuring no cost to them) to meet up with the ship's shuttle bus as if we actually arrived that day but he kept insisting we would lose our transfers.

Gary

You will lose your transfers unless you let RCCL book your hotel rooms. Just compare prices including the cost of transfers. It is expensive for private round trip transfers to Harwich. So just ask RCCL their costs for two nights including transfers, then compare doing it on your own.

I would suggest you call the cruiseline and ask that question. I know for our post cruise on our own, our transfers are still available as part of our air package. Now, this is post cruise and Celebrity, not RCI. We will not get dropped off at our hotel but will get from Harwich to Central London. Our TA also told me we would lose them.:mad: That is why I suggest calling the cruiseline. Good luck.:)

• 1 month later...
I have a question about customizing air travel to London through RCCL. We presently have ship transfers but would like to customize our travel by flying in 2 days earlier than the day of the actual cruise (out of Harwich). Does anyone know if we lose our transfers if we change our arrival time by 2 days? Our PVP says we will lose the transfers by doing custom air. Has anyone actually experienced this? We explained to the PVP that we would go back to the airport (incuring no cost to them) to meet up with the ship's shuttle bus as if we actually arrived that day but he kept insisting we would lose our transfers.

Gary

Just tell them the flight number you will be on but that it is on the day you get on the ship. I was told the same thing. I was told you meet up with them in the arrival baggage area and just show your transfer at that time.

Arrange your own air. If you use them you would have to do the hotel with them also, very expensive. We are staying at the Hilton Hotel at the Gatwick airport. The train ride into London is at the airport and is less than 30 minutes there.

I was told twice our transfers would still be there if we do our own hotel package. Well, if you talk to the people in custom air they say absolutely not. So, you do get different answers from different reps at X. So, beware, we had to arrange our own transfer into London from Harwich. Good luck but I would suggest speaking with the custom air dept.

RCCL does not meet people at the airport and transfer them to their hotel on NON cruise embarkation days, UNLESS they are on a pre-cruise package purchased through RCCL. Their transfers are only to/from airport to prebooked hotels and/or the cruise ship.

You didn't say where you were flying into, but there is a wealth of information on these boards about doing things on your own. You very likely can get to the hotel on your own. I would talk to them about purchasing the transfer from the hotel to the cruise ship if the hotel is one they use.

However, the pre-cruise packages, IMO, are really expensive with RCCL, and you can do fine on your own. Transportation in Europe, especially the UK, is very efficient and easy (Italy may be the exception).

We have only used the ship's transfers directly to the airport after the cruise when we fly home immediately. Our preference is pre-cruise hotel which we do on our own.

Gary

Yes, you WILL lose your transfers as you are arriving two days earlier - your PVP is correct. It is not permitted to go back to the airport and get on the shuttle bus - in order to book the shuttle bus the PVP has to put your flight times in - and as they do not correspond to the day/date of the transfer the system will not allow it. I have heard of PVP's entering ficticious flights just to fit in with the times of the busses but as stated this is not allowed and could be a disciplinary offence.

Besides you are hauling yourself back out to the Airport which is totally in the opposite direction that you need for Harwich!

If you book RCI hotels for your stay in London then yes, your transfers would still be included.

There is a RCI bus that runs from Central London [Victoria Coach Station] up to Harwich on the day of departure, which will cost you around £57pp IIRC, otherwise there is the train to Harwich from Liverpool Street Station. This has been covered many times on this board if you do a search.

Archived