land tour - 7 days 6 nights question

jess94

I have booked the NB cruise to Whittier next June and all the airline tickets and and rental car in Anchorage. But not sure what to do in the 7 days land tour. We have 13 years son. So I am thinking Denali NP , Fairbanks, valdez or seaward. What is the best arrangement without too much back trecking.

I'd scratch Fairbanks. We enjoyed it, but we had two weeks. If I'd had to cut back my itenerary, that would have been the first to go. I'd recommend Denali for at least two days as a top priority - shuttle bus to at least Fish Creek - which may be far enough for a 13-year-old. Or you may be better off getting a ticket to Wonder Lake - you can always get off and head back if things aren't lively enough. Make sure to visit the sled dogs there - the kids I saw there were loving it (but so were we!) As to the other stops, I guess it all depends on what you want to do. We took more than one trip through "Turnagain Arm" - beautiful scenery, plus Belugas to see. And Seward has LOTS to offer - boat trips highly recommended here, and we loved the Sealife Center even though it doesn't seem to impress others here as it did us! Valdez did NOT impress me - wall-to-wall RV's and yukky weather - but that all depends on if the salmon are running and how the weather is acting! (That is NOT a put-down to RV's, since we were also in one and loved it!)

We spent one night in Valdez, and missed seeing much of the reportedly stunning scenery driving there because it was so overcast. Unless you're planning on taking a glacier cruise, we didn't think there was much to do in Valdez. I didn't notice RV's there, but they were wall-to-wall in Homer, and were rather unsightly on the Spit. However, we loved other things about Homer, and it was sunny - so I give that the slight edge over Seward, where it was cloudy/foggy until the morning we left. Funny how much weather can affect your perception of a place!

I just wanted to add that we had 8 days/9 nights for our land trip, but didn't go to Denali. We spent 1 night in Anchorage the day the cruise ended, 2 nights in Kennicott (my favorite place on our land trip), 1 night in Valdez, 2 nights in Homer (after taking the ferry from Valdez to Whittier), 2 nights in Seward, and 1 night in Anchorage before flying home early the next morning.

We went in July with a 14 year old and it really does affect how you plan the trip. We did five nights prior. We stayed two nights in Homer on the beach in a condo which was fun. You would see eagles and sea otters etc from the den. We were at the Land's End Resort but in the condo's, not hotel. We went fishing while in Homer which our teenager enjoyed and shopped around the spit. The view was great. We also stayed two nights in Seward. There is the Sea Life Center, dog sledding, horse back riding and on up the road going back toward Whittier was a great place for rafting. Saying this, we found plenty to do in the Kenai Peninsula and tried to make it active stuff for a teenager because the ship part gets kind of boring for them or at least mine can only take so much scenery. We did ziplining as a ship excursion in Juneau which was her favorite thing.

A RV is a great suggestion, especially having that moving frig. :)

I would also suggest 2 nights in Denali Park with perhaps a night in Talkeetna, then 2 in Seward, 1 in Anchorage. IF you want to consider Homer- my min. recommended time is 2 nights. Do your homework and determine, what areas are of the most interest. I too recommend Fairbanks, Valdez etc with more time, 2 nights also my recommendation in each, at least.

Plenty of options and plenty of highlights along the way. Involve your son in the planning.

Thanks a lot. I will start looking for the hotel arrangement now. One more question, I booked the rental car (SUV 7 days. 220 dollars) from Enterprise(5510 E INTL AIRPORT RD, 5 miles from airport). Their office close @1200 PM . Could I make it from whittier. How much does it cost for Taxi ride to the Enterprise office? Or should I book the car from airport rental car company?

Thanks.

Thanks a lot. I will start looking for the hotel arrangement now. One more question, I booked the rental car (SUV 7 days. 220 dollars) from Enterprise(5510 E INTL AIRPORT RD, 5 miles from airport). Their office close @1200 PM . Could I make it from whittier. How much does it cost for Taxi ride to the Enterprise office? Or should I book the car from airport rental car company?

Thanks.

Enterprise's rates have gone up SO much recently, that if you change pick-up locations - you could be looking at triple the cost of your original reservation. How many of you are traveling? I would book the cruiseline's transfer or a limo service to the airport, and take a taxi from there to the Enterprise office - unless an Avis rental car from Whittier to Anchorage costs less. A taxi from Whittier to the Enterprise office is likely to cost more, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks.

Yes you should be able to get to the Anchorage location by noon. Either make an independent shuttle arrangement, or use the cruiseline contracted buses to the AIRPORT, not Egan Center, then take a cab to the Enterprise location. They start unloading around 6am. I would state on your disembarkment form, you need to be in Anchorage by 10am.

Archived