Flying into St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport

kaw904

We are flying into St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport for a cruise on the Inspiration beginning May 24, 2008-5 days. Last May did the 7 day Western on the Glory and had a fabulous time. We fly into the smaller airports in Florida because then we don't have to deal with O'Hare in Chicago-we fly directly out of Rockford, IL. We live in Rockford and the convenience is worth it.

Wondering if someone could tell me about any reasonable hotels in this area? We would rent a car and drive to Tampa the next day.

Or would it be better to rent a car soon as we arrive at the airport and head straight to Tampa? If better to just go to Tampa for the night, what is a convenient hotel close to the port.

Also, if you have rented a car what is the best company with an easy drop off close to the port?

I read cruise critic and got the best advice on the above for Orlando/Sanford and the Glory cruise, so hope you can help me again.

Thanks. :D

I would check hotwire. I prefer them to Priceline. If you need to know which hotel go to betterbidding site.

I love Treasure Island which is a beach area near Tampa if you rent a car and can drive a few miles. We used to go there every winter as a land vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If you want a quiet beach spot for the night check out Treasure Island. We stayed at the Tropic Terrace for a week a few years ago - also have heard good things about the Arvilla and the Page Terrace motels. These are not luxury places, but very clean 50s style mom and pop operations. We loved the quiet atmosphere and gorgeous beach. From there it's an easy drive into Tampa.

Are you flying Allegiant Air to St. Pete? We used them for a weekend trip to FL last year and were really impressed with their service - wish they flew more than 2 days a week from our area.

Yes i plan to fly allegiant into clearwater/st pete and i guess take a taxi to the pier in tampa. you can't beat the price of the flight. it is cheaper than driving down and getting a hotel.

by the way....the tampa questions have been moved fom the gulf port to the florida departures.

Have you looked at the Clearwater Airport web site? http://www.fly2pie.com/

You can find ground transportation info there...taxi, shuttle and rentals

As far as hotels in the area.....the "good stuff is probably at the Gulf beach but that's the wrong direction for you....not far but the wrong direction. I'd rent a car and head to Clearwater beach however.....depending on your arrival time..if I wanted the beach experience. You'll end up about 45 min from the port

Or if you really wanna have a good time

get a room in downtown Tampa and make a reservation for Bern's ... when I go to Tampa I hit Bern's every time I can....very worth it. And don't forget that you want to go to the dessert room too....

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

of course, after dinner at Bern's the cruise food may seem a bit mundane

St Pete Clearwater International Airport (PIE) is directly across Tampa Bay from Tampa International Airport (TPA) and thus is only about 15-20 minutes farther from sites in Tampa. Hotels in the vicinity of PIE include a Holiday Inn Select, Best Western, Hampton Inn, La Quinta, Days Inn, Sleep Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, Homewood Suites, Radisson and Hilton.

Because you are separated from Tampa by a long bridge, the taxi fare from PIE to the port will be considerably more than from TPA.

Whether you want to stay in Tampa or St. Pete/Clearwater upon arrival is a matter of preference. The hotels near PIE should be generally cheaper than over on the TPA side. Since ships begin boarding after Noon and don't sail until later afternoon, there really is no hurry to get to the pier. I'm not aware of any hotels right next to the pier in Tampa; people stay in downtown hotels (expensive) or at the Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn in the Ybor City (party district) of Tampa. From these hotels you can get to the pier via streetcar (trolley) for a dollar or two.

BobK/Orlando

Archived