REAL COFFEE! Have you ever brough a coffee pot?

What about not allowed don't you understand? Electrical appliances are a fire hazard, it only takes one time of forgetting to start a fire and endanger hundreds of people. You have received many suggestions to get around this. Personally I love coffee and don't see anything wrong with what is served.Please leave your pot at home unless it is a french press.

What about not allowed don't you understand? Electrical appliances are a fire hazard, it only takes one time of forgetting to start a fire and endanger hundreds of people. You have received many suggestions to get around this. Personally I love coffee and don't see anything wrong with what is served.Please leave your pot at home unless it is a french press.

If this is reply to me asking where on the RCCL site it states that coffee pots are not allowed then just point me to WHERE it says they are not allowed and I will leave mine home. I don't have a problem leaving them at home if they are not allowed but if RCCL doesn't have a problem with them then why should you. My curling iron and flat irons are far more of a fire hazard than my coffee pot which has an automactic shutoff.

We received our documents last week so I looked through them and here it what it says:

What not to pack

For the safety of our guests, the flolowing items are not allowed onboard:

electrical transformers, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks.

This was not listed in the contract but in the cruise vacation guide.

Bev

I really do agree that curling irons are a much bigger fire hazzard than a coffee pot. Especially a small 4 cup pot which really only holds 2 large cups of coffee. Pour out the coffee and unplug the pot. It is very easy to forget to unplug a curling iron. I do it all the time at home.

I really do agree that curling irons are a much bigger fire hazzard than a coffee pot. Especially a small 4 cup pot which really only holds 2 large cups of coffee. Pour out the coffee and unplug the pot. It is very easy to forget to unplug a curling iron. I do it all the time at home.

All it may take is one time....obviously they want to try and eliminate as many scenarios for an electrical fire as they can.

A French Press does nicely if you want your own fresh coffee.

Banderboo..did you see Funcruiser56 post?

People need to start reading through their DOCS so they know the latest info.:)

Not a chance. I won't bring anything resembling an appliance - someone else can make all my drinks, hot and cold. To each his own, tho. Haul whatever you want, just please use it responsibly and unplug when not in use.

I don't use hairdryers and curling irons, either, and will send my clothing to be pressed if I find it wrinkled.

I sailed on RC in 92 and liked their coffee. Now, I'm not what you would consider a gourmet, but, have they changed things?? I can always bring those silly Folgers Singles that are like teabags.

I use the little Melitta 2 cone filter! I use it at home too! Makes a great cup of coffee and is plastic, about $4 in Pathmark. Carrying a coffee pot on board just seems a wierd......almost did it but thought, next I'll be toting my ironing board too! :).

We were on Explorer of the Seas in June and I was pleasantly surprised with the coffee....it was stronger and brewed.......

I just got back from the FOS and the coffee was great. They served Seattles Best - it was just fine.

We put the card ont he door the night before to have our coffee delivered to the room when we got up - it was always there bright and early.

Unfortunately, on most ships you have to pay extra for Seattles Best.:mad: I bought a lexan french coffee press for camping (there is NEVER an excuse to drink bad coffee). I will be pulling it out of the camper and taking it with us with some coffee ground the day before we leave. We use room service as a wake up call and I'll have them bring hot water to use.

I used to bring along a one-cupper French press before I discovered the "Melitta #2 Cone Perfect Brew Coffee Filter Holder". It is unbreakable plastic and lightweight. Because you use the #2 filters, cleanup is less messy than a French press. The silly thing costs $3.99, but it's priceless!

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

Leslie,

It never occurred to me to bring my Melitta filter holder! Thanks for the tip. What did you do for hot water? Immersion heater? Windjammer?

Nick

Wow, Chuck...I could read your post from across the street! hehehe :p

I bring those Folder's singles so I can just get a cup of hot water and then make my own cup of coffee.

That's what I'm going to do next month on Explorer too! Although, I heard the room service coffee IS actually ok. I never ordered it thru room service before, but I am going bring some Folgers bags JUST in case!

Hey Frenchie, you forgot "IMO"!!!!! Sufficent and Good are far between!;)

AMEN to that!! Sufficient is DEFINITELY pushing it!! lol :D

I always bring a 4 cup Mr. Coffee and my Starbucks Sumatra Coffee.

I like it strong. I always clean it up myself. I have done this for the past 4 years and NEVER as much as a word from my cabin steward.

So your defense will be that your room steward didn't want to tick you off and perhaps lose out on a tip so he let you bring a coffee maker on board?

As if a room steward who counts on your gratuities will tell you that you are a dipwit for bringing a coffee maker on board. People get ticked off if the room stewards don't make the towel animal the passenger was hoping for.:rolleyes:

"What not to pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:

electrical transformers, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks."

Unfortunate that the cruise line has to make rules where common sense would normally be the case.

It's really about the Starbucks isn't it? How did people live BS (before Starbucks)?

HAPPILY!!!! :p That stuff is nasty! :cool:

I used to be a reverse snob about Starbucks. :o Anyone who would pay that much money for a cup of coffee had to be a totally stupid sucker. Such a "wanna be". Just trying to buy a bit of status - well, good luck with that! Etc.

And then I - at the insistance of a friend - I tried a Starbucks sugar-free, non-fat french vanilla latte. Sigh........... and the rest is history. I now have to plan my pit stops on trips around exits with Starbucks. (I am still too cheap to buy them on an everyday basis.) :D :D

"What not to pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:

electrical transformers, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks."

Unfortunate that the cruise line has to make rules where common sense would normally be the case.

It's really about the Starbucks isn't it? How did people live BS (before Starbucks)?

In defense of the cruise line policy, one of the most dangerous things that can happen on a ship is a fire. It seems completely reasonable to me that they wouldn't want passengers to bring in a coffee maker (or other electrical device with a heating element) only to have it short out, risking injury and death to passengers & crew, not to mention ending the cruise early. :eek:

For the record, I'm a hardcore Starbuck's drinker (extra bold varieties, black please) and I hate the coffee I get in regular hotel rooms, but I don't bring my own coffee maker on business trips.

Respectfully,

Nick

Well I'm definitely not a coffee snob, don't care for Starbucks, Folgers is good enough for me, but can't drink that stuff on the ship, have tried room service and it either gets there too early, too late, cold, or with out enough cream. Besides that I usually have 3 or 4 cups while I'm dressing, doing make up, etc., then I'm done. Room service brings about 2 cups.

So I brought a pot last time but it drips directly into two stainless steel mugs, has no hot plate, and was unplugged as soon as I was done. (I do also take my own coffee maker when taking land trips.) As somebody else mentioned, this coffee maker is less dangerous than my curling iron. As for electrical shorts, then that would also apply to the lamps, the blow dryer provided by the ship, or the CPAP machines DH and I both need, etc.

All that said, however, now that I know about the Melitta cone filter holders, I will definitely be purchasing one as that will take up SO much less room! Thanks.

Unfortunately, on most ships you have to pay extra for Seattles Best.:mad: I bought a lexan french coffee press for camping (there is NEVER an excuse to drink bad coffee). I will be pulling it out of the camper and taking it with us with some coffee ground the day before we leave. We use room service as a wake up call and I'll have them bring hot water to use.

You don't have to pay extra for Seattle's Best if you just want a regular cup of coffee. There is an extra fee if you want a latte or expresso.

I agree, and I even worked on the design of a Starbucks. Can't choke it down. I just use the cup with gas station coffee in it to attract the ladies.

That reminded me of my ex-coworker. She used to come into work with a big cup of coffee from the local Shell gas station. I used to tease her and ask her how her cup of gasoline tasted. :p

And then I - at the insistance of a friend - I tried a Starbucks sugar-free, non-fat french vanilla latte. Sigh........... and the rest is history. I now have to plan my pit stops on trips around exits with Starbucks. (I am still too cheap to buy them on an everyday basis.) :D :D

Actually the ONLY thing I ever get at Starbucks (if there's no Wawa or Dunkin Donuts around) is a Vanilla Latte. But to pay almost $4.00 for it kills me!!!! :(

You don't have to pay extra for Seattle's Best if you just want a regular cup of coffee. There is an extra fee if you want a latte or expresso.

On some ships, you do have to pay even for Seattle's best. It's free on the ships that have Cafe Promenade. But then I went on Enchantment, and at Lattitudes, you have to pay EVEN for regular Seattle's Best coffee. Which COMPLETELY boggles my mind, mind you. Why do you have to pay on some ships and not others?? :confused:

All it may take is one time....obviously they want to try and eliminate as many scenarios for an electrical fire as they can.

A French Press does nicely if you want your own fresh coffee.

Banderboo..did you see Funcruiser56 post?

People need to start reading through their DOCS so they know the latest info.:)

Yes I did see the post. I've never noticed it before so I will check when my documents arrive. I have no intention of bringing a coffee pot if it's not allowed.

Not all of us who bring coffee pots drink starbucks. I'm an early riser and I like having a cup of coffee first thing in the AM and room service wakes up DH.

We bring a Lexan French Press and our favorite Free trade coffee. We bring the French Press to the Windjammer in the morning, fill it up with hot water and have a wonderful cup of coffee with our breakfast.

My Philosophy - "Life is too short for bad coffee, bad wine, or bad chocolate".

Yes I did see the post. I've never noticed it before so I will check when my documents arrive. I have no intention of bringing a coffee pot if it's not allowed.

Not all of us who bring coffee pots drink starbucks. I'm an early riser and I like having a cup of coffee first thing in the AM and room service wakes up DH.

Try the French Press...love mine and always get a great cup of coffee.:)

Archived