Playing With The Band On Board

Tenorman

I am a musician, and one of the things I love to do on cruises is to bring my horn on board and sit in with one of the bands. So far I have done this on two cruises. On the first (around the horn from Buenos Aires to Valporaiso) I sat in with one of the bossa nova bands and a jazz piano in one of the lounges. On my second cruise, I played with the ship's band when then did a jazz jam during the chocolate buffet. It was great fun on both cruises.

Next month we're cruising to Spain, Morocco, Lisbon. I'm bringing my horn again, and hope to sit in once again.

Any other players do this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never knew about passengers playing with the bands, but that sounds awesome! Most of the talent shows have people singing or playing instruments, but that is expected. A jam session, however, has got to be exciting!

Being a piano player, I never thought I could join a band like that. But, on our last cruise, there was a piano along the railing of the promenade deck amidst the setups for the ship's photographers. At DW's insisting, I just sat down and started to play. People stopped by and inside of 10-15 minutes, we had our own piano-bar sing-a-long going. Then another passenger asked to play and we took turns for the next couple of hours. It was a blast!

I never knew about passengers playing with the bands,

but that sounds awesome! ===> happens all the time,man!

Being a piano player, I never thought I could join a band like that. But, on our last cruise, there was a piano along the railing of the promenade deck amidst the setups for the ship's photographers. At DW's insisting, I just sat down and started to play. People stopped by and inside of 10-15 minutes, we had our own piano-bar sing-a-long going. Then another passenger asked to play and we took turns for the next couple of hours. It was a blast!

The clarinet player in Barbados' VSOP Jazz Band told me he was transiting thru an airport somewhere in Canada or UK(wherever!)

- flight was delayed 2 hrs:(

but there was a large piano sitting there in the departure lounge

(don't ask why!) and he started to play and play.

When the flight boarded the airline ppl thanked him so much for helping the time to pass and they bumped him up to First Class.:)

---------------------

There's an unspoken international camaraderie thing going down re. musicians.

Our special talents are welcome any and everywhere.

Never be afraid to take your instrument.

Mine's a drumset so that gets to be a little bit inconvenient,

but by and large if you offer to sit in, you'll be welcome.

just know how to play yo' thang!

Now that's a great way to travel first class! My husband always takes his mandolin with him when he travels. It's not exactly the lounge-music type instrument like a piano, but he can pick up some tunes and get a little toe-tappin goin.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I play a bit of accordion, and I've heard it said that the definition of a true gentleman is one who knows how to play accordion but chooses not to:eek:

Growing up, I used to think that the accordion was the corniest of all instruments. Since I've started playing tuba again though, I've let myself become more exposed to other types of music and musical instruments. As it stands now, I LOVE the accordion and accordion music especially if waltzes and polkas are involved. One of my favorite accordion players is Ken Michaelis. He plays at Silver Dollar City in Branson during the Fall Festivals. The notes literally drip off of his fingers.

• 3 months later...

Last year on the Spirit my husband was disappointed there was no karaoke but he was happy when he sang and played guitar with an awesome band that was on the ship. He also played with the CD. He did this as a nightly thing. Everyone had fun with it. Some of the passengers couldn't wait for hubby to get on stage!!!!:cool:

Don't play only sing

Yep. Same here. I don't think I'd have the guts to get up and do it woth the band, though. I have been known to get the mic from the DJ at weddings and sing a song or two. I did it at my 10 year high school reunion to Barry Manilow's Mandy, but I was a little less than sotally tober.

Archived