Legend Cruisers - Tortola Virgin Gorda - The Baths Question

airgirl

I have been searching for this info on the ports of call boards but they are out of date.

The Legend only gives you from 7 am to 2 pm in Tortola. That does not give much time at the baths seeing the first ferries to there are at 8:50 and 9 am.

Has anyone from the Legend attempted to do this ferry on their own this summer?

Also, how much is the Ships tour there?

When we went (last year) the ship's tour to The Baths was $65 pp. Although I don't like paying that much for an excursion when it could be done cheaper on our own, I was afraid with the short time there we might run into problems getting back to the ship. For me, it was worth the money for the peace of mind.

However you do it, just make sure you see The Baths. They are stunning.

I agree with JerseyGirl. Yes,you can do it alot cheaper on your own but you have so little time there that I did not want to take the chance and miss the ship,so I booked the ships excursion. The baths are awesome!

Laura

CK, only you can answer that. We are a family of 6, and yes, it was worth it for us. We didn't spend much the rest of the week, because I knew we'd be spending so much for this excursion. But I'm so glad we did. Our kids have been on 4 cruises, and they said the time they spent at The Baths was their favorite. They went through the boulders over to Devil's Beach and had a blast doing somersaults off the boulders and into the water. Our four kids brought four friends with them (ages 18-22) and their friends paid their own way, and thought The Baths were the highlight of the trip.

Our family also says The Baths are the best place we have ever been and we have been on 5 cruises together. I would never do this excursion on my own. The first time I went our ferry had major problems, luckly it was a cruise line excursion so the ship waited for us. It is about 30-45 min back to Tortola under good conditions.

I don't mean to scare anyone from going because it is a wonderful place...but better play it safe.

PS. Many times the cruise line describes the Baths as rustic. It is true don't expect glamor and glitz....only a beautiful place.

one more thing....I went on this Carnival excursion 3 years ago and you didn't go all the way to Tortola to get on the ferry. Those on the excursion boarded the ferry kind of like tendering out in the ocean, then the ship and rest of the passengers went on to Tortola. That way the trip over wasn't as long. I do not know if they still do it this way. Also, one of my sons gets a little sea sick now and then and he needed a dramamine (sp) on the ferry. (HE DID NOT GET SICK!)

We boarded the ferry (booked through Carnival) from Tortola. It is true that the ride over can get a little rough. If you are prone to seasickness, take a Bonine or the like. My stepson started getting a little queasy, but as soon as he went outside on the upper deck of the ferry, he felt better.

Archived