Cell reception on Golden to Mexican Riviera

mcubed

Hi - I was just wondering if I will be able to have cell reception on the Golden cruising to the Mexican Riviera or if I need to do anything special in advance. I have Verizon as my carrier. I did a search on this forum, but was not able to get what I needed. I have no plans of using my phone, but in case of a family emergency it would be the most efficient way for anyone to get a hold of us.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice/knowledge you can share.:confused: Sorry for the double post.

Kristy

Hi - I was just wondering if I will be able to have cell reception on the Golden cruising to the Mexican Riviera or if I need to do anything special in advance. I have Verizon as my carrier. I did a search on this forum, but was not able to get what I needed. I have no plans of using my phone, but in case of a family emergency it would be the most efficient way for anyone to get a hold of us.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice/knowledge you can share.:confused: Sorry for the double post.

Kristy

Email or have call your cellular carrier and add either Mexican or International calling plan. Tell them that you will like to be able to receive calls as well. If you get a call, it may cost you around $2.00 a minute due to the roaming charges. Also try www.cellularatsea.com I do not know whether the Golden has this capability.

I had Verizon service this year on the Diamond Princess to Mexican Riviera. I called them in advance and I received and dialed calls without any extra charges when we had reception. There was reception on the way down when we passed cabo and in each port. I'm not that into cell phones but it was nice to be able to check on the kids.

Also try www.cellularatsea.com I do not know whether the Golden has this capability.

The Grand is the only Princess ship that has Cellular at Sea - just checked the web site. I have Alltel and we can add calling to / from Mexico, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Canada to the plan... for those that have Alltel...

BD

If you walk up to Skywalkers Lounge both on the moving walkway and inside the bar area you can get reception pretty much along the entire trip/coast.

We have done this several times and although it costs a bit more we have never taken the plan for going out of the country. we have AT&T/Cingular. :)

The Grand is the only Princess ship that has Cellular at Sea - just checked the web site. I have Alltel and we can add calling to / from Mexico, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Canada to the plan... for those that have Alltel...

BD

You are correct, unfortunatelly, this WEB site is not up to date.

We were on the Golden in South America/Antarctica in January, and cell service was available at sea from a different provider, Maritime Communications Partners (MCP) in Norway. The link that shows the Golden has service is http://www.mcp.com/maindesign.asp?aid=16682&gid=7758. We have GSM phones but others with CDMA phones from Verizon also had service. We were able to make calls and send/receive SMS messages. There is a link on their site of what Verizon customers need to do, http://www.mcp.com/maindesign.asp?aid=17695&gid=8274.

In researching whether the Sapphire will have service, I found that Princess had sister ships set up with two different firms, the Grand (Wireless Maritime Services-WMS) and the Golden (MCP). I have not been able to find out if these tests will be continued or expanded.

Archived