Is 14 day Canal crossing too long for children?

kpgclark

I'm currently booked on a 14 day Disney Panama Canal crossing for next August when it will be quite hot. There are just 4 port days plus the day for the canal crossing itself. I'm concerned that this might be too many port days for my children who will be 8 and 11 at the time of the cruise. If you have any experience either crossing the Canal or going on an extended cruise with a lot of port days and have children I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on whether the children will go stir crazy with so many port days.

My family is doing a transcanal trip Oct.3-17. We have a 13 and 9 year old. The kids are aware they will probably be the only ones on the ship. Your Disney cruise will at least have many kids to play with. Our itinerary has 7 stops with every other day a sea day. I will post a review when we return.

I'm currently booked on a 14 day Disney Panama Canal crossing for next August when it will be quite hot. There are just 4 port days plus the day for the canal crossing itself. I'm concerned that this might be too many port days for my children who will be 8 and 11 at the time of the cruise. If you have any experience either crossing the Canal or going on an extended cruise with a lot of port days and have children I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on whether the children will go stir crazy with so many port days.

If it were any other cruise line than Disney... I love my sea days but that is a lot of sea days for children... and be prepared for stifling heat, really stifling.. it's even hard to get out by the pool for long because you will burn in next to no time.. Not trying to put a damper on things.. just done that cruise in late May and August is worse. The ship will have lots of activities planned and it doesn't run up into northern school starts so I woudl think that there will be quite a few families.. if you have any hesitation on this I'd ask your agent to check and see if the ship has a lot booked though.. I don't think you can check available cabins on line with Disney?

• 3 weeks later...
I had read that the temperature stays fairly constant there. I hope it isn't too, too hot in August.

I was under the impression that the temps stay constant as well....that the 'seasons' experienced in central and South America are Low and High season...(WET and DRY season). I'm thinking that during the wet season, which is May through Oct. it just may be more humid.

I was scheduled for the Disney Panama canal cruise in May but after looking at the port stops and the long days at sea I switched to Celebrity. They were running a 16 day cruise from Ft lauderdale to San Francisco beginning on May 1st. The port stops were better, it actually stops in Costa Rica, and less days at sea - I had been on a cruise to Ensenada before and it is nothing to write home about (IMO).

The cost were about the same and I look forward to the better cuisine. My three kids 7, 10 and 12 did not enjoy the 'sea' of kids the last two times we did the Disney thing. They are actually looking forward to having much less kids on board and getting more attention from the child care staff.

I know most families have trouble taking the kids out of school but the schools will give learning plans and after a few hours of school work every day the kids are free to enjoy themselves. It's one of those, once in a lifetime experiences, so I do not feel guilty about pulling them out of school (to be honest here 2 of my kids are homeschooled, only 1 attends public school).

and yes, I would love to talk a few other families into taking this cruise with us. We are on the celebrity boards and under roll call for infinity 5/01/05 if you have questions.

suzanne

I have sailed Celebrity before and it is a great line. I wouldn't hesitate to take the children on Celebrity but I won't pull them out of school for that long. We have sailed with Disney before and had a great time but I think the children would enjoy any cruise or vacation. I am looking for something in the summer and Disney sounded great so I booked with them immediately. I am a little concerned about the large number of sea days for them and also concerned about the heat and weather.

• 3 weeks later...

Having lived in Panama for a number of years, you are correct to be concerned about the heat. I had forgotten how hot it gets there until last year when we transited the Canal in April - it brought back all sorts of memories. Panama should have a sign up that says "Welcome to Panama - Enjoy Melting" Within minutes of standing on our balcony I was drenched, and the sun's rays really burn. Take care to dress in light fabrics, and really use the sun screen. Wear a hat, and keep cool any way you can - the Panamanian heat is really something.

VA Cruise Critic

This thread has me laughing... It reminds me of Robin Williams "crotch pot cooking" schtick in "Good Morning Vietnam". I've been in Panama in January, April and May... In January, Panama is merely hot... From that point on it gets hotter.

Archived