Bringing someone along for you children

momofsamandeden

Okay so it appears that we are getting married on the Carribean Princess. We will be brining our two children along who will be 4 and 1. I know that the 4 year old will hopefully enjoy the kids programs but we know that the one year old will need to be with us.

So we are booking an inside cabin across from our balcony cabin so that the children can have their own room and we are thinking about paying for someones airfare and cruise to help us with the children.

Has anyone done this? I am afraid that once the person gets onboard (family or friend) that they will want to play with the adults also and not want to entertain the children.

We are planning on only really using the person at night when we want to go to shows while they sleep. We will be with a large group since it is our wedding so there will be lots of eyes but I want everyone to enjoy their vacation and not chase after two toddlers.

Okay so it appears that we are getting married on the Carribean Princess. We will be brining our two children along who will be 4 and 1. I know that the 4 year old will hopefully enjoy the kids programs but we know that the one year old will need to be with us.

So we are booking an inside cabin across from our balcony cabin so that the children can have their own room and we are thinking about paying for someones airfare and cruise to help us with the children.

Has anyone done this? I am afraid that once the person gets onboard (family or friend) that they will want to play with the adults also and not want to entertain the children.

We are planning on only really using the person at night when we want to go to shows while they sleep. We will be with a large group since it is our wedding so there will be lots of eyes but I want everyone to enjoy their vacation and not chase after two toddlers.

It's a great idea. When you book that person, I'd make sure they know that they are being hired as a nanny...not for a free cruise, but to care for your children. I'd recommend arranging the times ahead of time that they will be on duty. Make sure you give them some play time as well. Make a calendar...tell them you'll be flexible once you all see the Capers for the cruise and know the show schedule, dining schedule, etc. I think it would be fair to give the person one night off and most mornings. Ask for their help in the afternoons (during naps and after) and evenings...except the evening or evenings they have off.

• Administrators

I think you have to pick someone who understands that they are not there primarily to enjoy the cruise, but to be responsible for your children. I (personally) would pay them on top of the cruise fare -- maybe $50 per day, since you will have the kids with you during the day a good bit, leaving them free to enjoy the cruise except some afternoons, evenings, and overnight.

Do any of your friends/family have college-age responsible children (over 21 since they will be the adult in the cabin with your children) who might like to come along in return for some spending money and mornings, plus a few afternoons, off during the cruise? I think by paying them a "salary" for their babysitting services (on top of the cruise fare) you would alleviate some of your feelings of "wanting them to enjoy their vacation as well." It wouldn't be THEIR "cruise" or "vacation." You are paying them to come along on YOUR vacation, on which they will have a specific JOB. There are many young people out there who are very level-headed and would be very capable of meeting this expectation. But it's up to you to be very clear up front about how you think their schedule will look, so they can make sure they really want to do it.

You're not really seriously thinking about putting your two babies in a room ACROSS THE HALL by themselves, are you???? Maybe a connecting cabin, but certainly not across the hall. Maybe I'm an overprotective grandma and you didn't ask my opinion on this, but . . . .

In response to your actual question - yes, I would certainly look for someone to travel with you and look after the children (and absolutely share their cabin) - pay them something besides the cruise fare and make it clear up front that they are "working" certain hours.

You're not really seriously thinking about putting your two babies in a room ACROSS THE HALL by themselves, are you???? Maybe a connecting cabin, but certainly not across the hall. Maybe I'm an overprotective grandma and you didn't ask my opinion on this, but . . . .

In response to your actual question - yes, I would certainly look for someone to travel with you and look after the children (and absolutely share their cabin) - pay them something besides the cruise fare and make it clear up front that they are "working" certain hours.

My thoughts exactly! Honestly, I know it's your honeymoon and all, BUT would you really leave your kids at night? Even with a babysitter?

Maybe I'm overprotective, but I can only imagine if your sitter comes back to the cabin a little drunk and doesn't wake up if your children need her. Or what if one of them gets a bug bite and has an allergic reaction? (One fire ant bite for me and I'm in Anaphylactic Shock):eek:

IMHO, If you can't get a mature, trustworthy adult (preferably a parent) to share a cabin with your children, I would change your cabin to accommodate 4 people and have a safe trip.

When I bring along a caretaker for my children (when I travel for work), I pay them their wages on top of all the costs, and I outline beforehand when they will have time off. It's well worth it to be able to dictate that the children are the priority, not fun or enjoying their own vacation. Keep in mind that if you want to do shore excursions, you will also need someone to watch your children on port days (the days that a family member or friend would especially want to get off the ship and explore).

Congratualtions! Have a wonderful trip.

Best,

Mia

Kidding, really.

On our very first cruise back around 1997 my husband (then boyfriend) and I befriended a young woman that had been brought on the cruise as a nanny for a family. She was actually kind of lonely. During her off time she had no one to socialize with.

At the time I couldn't believe that there were people wealthy enough to pay for a nanny to come along with them. I am not so quite naive these days but still think it is an enviable position to be in for everyone involved.

My thought... go ahead and bring along a friend/nanny but make sure that that person knows what their role is in the equation.

Cheryl

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't take the time to post it. :)

Babies connecting, yes...accross the hall...no way. Not unless Grandma was booked into the same room with them and swore she wouldn't leave them alone for a milisecond.

I certainly hope you're not just "thinking" of bringing someone along to be with the children in a "separate" cabin across the hall. First of all, the cabin might not be right across the hall---you have to book really early to make sure you get a cabin directly across the hall. Second, do you realize that anyone with a passkey has access to that cabin anytime they want? If there's an emergency, like if there's a big wave that causes the ship to tip, and you're not in the room with the children, the children could be seriously injured. Do you realize that the 4 year old could open the cabin door and walk out of the cabin? Unless the children are sharing your cabin, or if you can get two cabins that connect with a door inside your cabin, you must bring someone along to be with the children in the other cabin. Remember what happened to that little girl when her parents left her alone in a hotel room in Europe?

Perhaps some of you did not understand what I am thinking of doing! The person across the hall would be family like my sister(who would have them across the country if I did not take them with me!). I would never leave my children alone over night in another room on a hotel or otherwise.

We will have them across the hall and yes we are booking early enough. They would never be left alone and would be in the care of one of us at all times. The cruise fare for the person would be in the room with our children. Should I repeat that a few times for you?

quote]

I was also unclear about the meaning of your original post. It sounded as though you were definitely booking a separate cabin for your 1 and 4 year and were only considering the option of paying to have someone with them. I'm glad to hear that's not the case.

I agree that making arrangements ahead of time with your children's caretaker is the key to not having problems. Writing out the exact days & times you expect the person to watch your kids and the times they'll be free to do their own thing will help prevent any misunderstandings and make it a good trip for all of you.

Congratulations on your wedding and have a great cruise.

Perhaps some of you did not understand what I am thinking of doing! The person across the hall would be family like my sister(who would have them across the country if I did not take them with me!). I would never leave my children alone over night in another room on a hotel or otherwise.

We will have them across the hall and yes we are booking early enough. They would never be left alone and would be in the care of one of us at all times. The cruise fare for the person would be in the room with our children. Should I repeat that a few times for you?

I understood your original post quite well -- and even though you hadn't specified exactly "who" the someone would be, I assumed it would be someone who you trusted.

Check with your sister and see if she would be comfortable doing this for you (would be a super wedding gift! :D) Congrats and have a great time

momofsamandeden, your original post was not at all clear...if it were, so many wouldn't have questioned your original post. You wrote: "So we are booking an inside cabin across from our balcony cabin so the children can have their own room and we are THINKING about paying someone's airfare and cruise to help with the children." The operative word in your post is "THINKING". You did not say that you were actually going to bring another person to take care of the children, but that you were just thinking about it. Nowhere in the original post did you say someone was actually going to sail with you.

Perhaps you should be the one to re-read your post and see why many were questioning what your first post.

Ordinarily, I would not have a problem with paying for a relative to come along and watch the kids for a number of hours per day on a cruise. However, this is your wedding.

We will be with a large group since it is our wedding so there will be lots of eyes but I want everyone to enjoy their vacation and not chase after two toddlers.

I would guess that your sister was invited to the wedding? And that perhaps she is unable to afford the cruise?

If you pay for her way with the understanding that she is to repay you by looking after the kids, she will be a "second class citizen" on the cruise in comparison to the other siblings and friends who did pay their own way. I can see the potential for a lot of resentment here. Also, the potential for the "babysitter" to be out mingling and enjoying themselves or at least wanting to.

If your large group includes a number of other siblings or friends who are paying their own way, I might offer to pay ds' way, but have her pay back some other way.

I don't know if I'd bring the kids along on the honeymoon. If you are set on that, I'd hire a non-relative, either a cruise babysitter for a few hours at a time, or someone that you bring with you, as a nanny.

There's too much potential for hard feelings, IMHO, in a wedding situation, to have a relative as an employee.

I have to agree with the idea of having a non-relative. You'll have gone to the expense of paying the fare, so for just a bit more you can pay a daily wage for a caretaker to have responsibility for the children - taking them down for naps, meals, baths, etc, so you're free from the usual childcare chores and can just enjoy fun time with them. Your caregiver can have their "breaks/down time" for a little while each day while the children are with you and your family. Everyone will have a better time that way - especially you.

Best,

Mia

I think it's a tough sell (even for free) for an adult (family or not) to share a stateroom with a toddler and an infant. Regardless, with the logistics of multiple adults having to taking turns watching your small children, it would make much more sense to book connecting rooms with someone in your wedding party, if not yours.

First of all, a cruise line will not let you book a room for "just the kids". An adult would have to be listed on the room. Plus, take a look at the costs. Booking an inside room for one adult might be cost-prohibitive. And I would think that the kids will have to be listed in your room because they are YOUR kids, not the nanny's. You'll have to work that out with your TA.

When we travel with our young ones (now 3.5 y/o and 11 m/o) we always go with my in-laws. We are going on our third cruise with the whole family in December. But, my MIL LOVES to be with the kids. But I know that not all grandmothers want to spend so much time with their grandkids.

You mentioned that you are going with a group...would anyone in the group be responsible for them for a few hours while you have a nice dinner a couple nights? Or are you looking to have every night without them?

If you trust your sister to watch them, then pay her way plus some extra money (if she has a regular job, remember that she'd have to take vacation to come with you--so, in effect she'd be "working" on her vacation). Negotiate with her on when she'd have her own free time to explore and when you would want her on duty. Make sure you talk about this BEFORE she commits so she's knows the rules. And give her a night off so she can party without having to feel guilty about the kids.

Congrats on the wedding!

First of all, a cruise line will not let you book a room for "just the kids". An adult would have to be listed on the room. Plus, take a look at the costs. Booking an inside room for one adult might be cost-prohibitive. And I would think that the kids will have to be listed in your room because they are YOUR kids, not the nanny's. You'll have to work that out with your TA.

When we travel with our young ones (now 3.5 y/o and 11 m/o) we always go with my in-laws. We are going on our third cruise with the whole family in December. But, my MIL LOVES to be with the kids. But I know that not all grandmothers want to spend so much time with their grandkids.

You mentioned that you are going with a group...would anyone in the group be responsible for them for a few hours while you have a nice dinner a couple nights? Or are you looking to have every night without them?

If you trust your sister to watch them, then pay her way plus some extra money (if she has a regular job, remember that she'd have to take vacation to come with you--so, in effect she'd be "working" on her vacation). Negotiate with her on when she'd have her own free time to explore and when you would want her on duty. Make sure you talk about this BEFORE she commits so she's knows the rules. And give her a night off so she can party without having to feel guilty about the kids.

Congrats on the wedding!

Okay ONCE AGAIN! I am planning on getting a room for my two children plus my sister. She would not be alone in a room and neither would the children EVER!

We are not talking about going out every night we mainly want an extra hand for the children during port days and possibly at night once or twice. Beyond that she will have her own time although we are going as a large family so she will be with us anyway for the most part. I have my parents coming and my fiance's father but they enjoy the shows and nightlife perhaps more than us even and I do not want to subject them to my children on my mothers one vacation a year.

I talked with her and she is excited about going along with the kids in their room since she is 14 hours away from us and only sees them once a year. We are also thinking about paying for her husband also so that they can be in a mini suite next to us and just be the extra hands every now and then. We are planning on taking our children to the early shows and MUTS, we are not talking about being out until 3 am.

I hope this clearifies for people again!

In fact, RCCL will allow you to book a stateroom just for the children. I wouldn't recommend it for the ages of the OP though! :eek: They can be listed in someone else's room too.

To the OP, although I know my siblings would never go for such an arrangement, or they might say they will and then resent me for the next 5 years, it sounds like your sister is enthusiastic about the idea. That's all that matters! :D

I understood you perfectly, and I think it is a great plan. Cruising with kids is not that bad, as long as you can get an occasional break. It sounds like you have a lot of relatives on hand to help out, even for a short time, and the most wonderful sister on the planet.

Given the age of your kids, you may want to plan on being with them during the nighttime routine to help them get settled to sleep, then have someone with them in the room after that. The minisuite is a GREAT idea, as it allows the caretaker to sit on the balcony and enjoy the evening while the kids are sleeping. Much better than just being in an inside cabin, IMHO. The passage for your BIL should be minimal, too, since he would be the 4th in the room.

Be sure to work out all the details ahead of time with anyone who will be watching the kids, so everyone has the right expectations. Then enjoy! Remember, any day on a cruise ship beats any day on land!

In fact, RCCL will allow you to book a stateroom just for the children. I wouldn't recommend it for the ages of the OP though! :eek: They can be listed in someone else's room too.

RCI will not allow anyone to book two children by themselves in a single stateroom. Even when you book two connecting staterooms, each must be booked with the name of at least one adult.

Originally Posted by boulders

In fact, RCCL will allow you to book a stateroom just for the children. I wouldn't recommend it for the ages of the OP though! They can be listed in someone else's room too.

RCI will not allow anyone to book two children by themselves in a single stateroom. Even when you book two connecting staterooms, each must be booked with the name of at least one adult.

Sorry, you're wrong.

Sorry, you're wrong.
We have two children, have tried to book them in their own cabins four separate times over the past 6 years, and have been told each time that this is against RCI policy that minors must have an adult in the same stateroom, and thus we cannot book our kids in the same stateroom. And to go a step further, once we were onboard Grandeur in July of this year, I attempted to have my wife and my SeaPasses keyed to the same door (for our room), but they would not allow this as they require at least one adult's SeaPasses to be keyed for EACH room! And, if you try to book online via any travel agency or RCI's own site, you will see that the minimum for each stateroom is 1-4 adults and 0-4 children, but never will it allow you to book 2 children w/o an adult. Now, how am I wrong?

Onboard Policies

Print This Page

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required). Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean International's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

just FYI.....

I have brought a sitter along on a cruise. I gave her- her own cabin and the airfare. It cost me approximately $ 1700 for her to come. I could have paid her $ 600 to stay at home and take care of the baby.

If you are going to ask someone on a cruise- be prepared to let her sleep in and have some nightlife. That won't be possible with the kids in the room. Maybe someone would want a free cruise but they would have to have time to themselves also.

It is your wedding and it sounds like the family will all be there. Don't know how many are sailing with you but if there are a handful- use them to watch the baby. They can certainly take turns.

If that isn't an option and leaving the baby at home isn't an option. Then plan to get connecting rooms.

Honestly, I wouldn't dream of taking my kids on my honeymoon. I have two boys (7 and 19) and I have taken them on almost all of my vacations- except the ones involving boyfriends. I have a great time with my kids but for a honeymoon I wouldn't want them there. I would want to focus on my husband.

Archived