"Pop of color" or "Why is she wearing THAT?"

Robin7

So I, at 46, am just barely becoming interested in fashion and how I look. (I'm a REALLY LATE bloomer.) And I just discovered "What Not To Wear". I've been DVR-ing all of the episodes and am nearly on WNTW overload!:eek: Anyway, I've heard Stacy and Clinton say over and over again when shoes don't match the outfit in any way, "Oh, those shoes are lovely! What a great pop of color!" So I have a black and white print dress (faux wrap, cap sleeves, ruched waist, small print) and thought I'd add a 'pop of color' (and a little bling) with these shoes.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/23598602/c/95173/g/women/s/13/w/M_768.html

Will people admire my 'pop of color' or will they just think 'Why isn't she wearing black shoes??? Those are ridiculous." And what color bag would you get to go with these shoes? (I know it doesn't have to match.) Please help me! I'm fashion-impaired.

Robin

So I, at 46, am just barely becoming interested in fashion and how I look. (I'm a REALLY LATE bloomer.) And I just discovered "What Not To Wear". I've been DVR-ing all of the episodes and am nearly on WNTW overload!:eek: Anyway, I've heard Stacy and Clinton say over and over again when shoes don't match the outfit in any way, "Oh, those shoes are lovely! What a great pop of color!" So I have a black and white print dress (faux wrap, cap sleeves, ruched waist, small print) and thought I'd add a 'pop of color' (and a little bling) with these shoes.

Will people admire my 'pop of color' or will they just think 'Why isn't she wearing black shoes??? Those are ridiculous." And what color bag would you get to go with these shoes? (I know it doesn't have to match.) Please help me! I'm fashion-impaired.

Robin

First, I think you are spot on with your idea. They are right on with that "pop of color" and you have chosen a great color. I, however, would have picked something like a peep-toe pump in your great color, just because there's more of it, and it makes more of a current fashion statement. But that's just me and if you wish to think about it, or not, that is your choice.

What they will say is nice shoes! And Stacy and Clinton also say, "bag and shoes don't have to match". So if you've already got, say, a black bag, stick with that. No need to get too fully invested and then you can use your bag and shoes with various outfits and don't feel compelled to put them both together.

I'm of a similar age and same level of fashion impairment, but I've come a long way since about 6-9 months ago. That show helped me a lot, too, like with picking a style that enhances rather than one that detracts. And thank goodness I've found I like going on cruise ships (last Christmas), or I wouldn't have had a reason to even look for fashionable new clothes. :p

You're on your way and doing great. Congrats and enjoy.

I've only watched "What Not To Wear" once and another show my daughter had on, something about looking 10 years younger.

I'm wondering if they didn't dress down these women ahead of time? Tell them to wear their husbands T-shirts, don't wash your hair, don't put on any makeup? Wear dumpy sneakers?

I work with almost all women and absdolutely none of them dress so badly. We're at an elementary school, the teachers all are dressed very nicely. As a paraeducator, I'm not required nor would I dress like a teacher, but we do have a "code" of sorts. I do my hair, wear makeup every day, press my clothes and although my clothing is not expensive or even fashionable, I'd never dress like a man :rolleyes:

OK, too off topic, sorry :o

I love your idea of a "pop" of color!

On WNTW, they tape the participants for two weeks, have friends show items in their closet, and then surprise them with the opportunity to be on the show. The way some people defend and fight to keep their ugly, ill-fitting clothes shows that the weren't dressing down so their make over would look better.

I, however, would have picked something like a peep-toe pump in your great color, just because there's more of it, and it makes more of a current fashion statement. But that's just me and if you wish to think about it, or not, that is your choice.

I actually looked for a peep toe first, but I have these HUGE feet (11 WW) and only found them in black or pewter. I wanted a bright color. I'm going to keep my eyes out, though, as I still have 70+ days before my cruise and zappos has fast, fast shipping.

I'm glad to know there's hope for me yet! Thanks y'all.

Robin

On WNTW, they tape the participants for two weeks, have friends show items in their closet, and then surprise them with the opportunity to be on the show. The way some people defend and fight to keep their ugly, ill-fitting clothes shows that the weren't dressing down so their make over would look better.

I guess I should watch it again. How do they tape them without their knowledge for 2 weeks? Hidden camera crew?

I'm not a big TV watcher and sometimes I merely get glimpses of what my daughter will be watching. This show was one of them. If these women tryly look this bad every day, bless their friends for trying to come to their rescue. I'd like to see some of the makeovers a month later, I do believe habits, good and bad, are mostly routine and hard to break!

Back to Robin7, I have big feet too! I know what you are going through :o Not many great looking shoes come in larger sizes, especially when your foot is wide. Good luck with your shoe hunt :)

I actually looked for a peep toe first, but I have these HUGE feet (11 WW) and only found them in black or pewter. I wanted a bright color. I'm going to keep my eyes out, though, as I still have 70+ days before my cruise and zappos has fast, fast shipping.

I'm glad to know there's hope for me yet! Thanks y'all.

Robin

Then absolutely go with the bright color that fits you well. I've heard others say Zappos has a good selection of wide sizes. Have you found this to be true (aside from your current selection)?

Have you found this to be true (aside from your current selection)?

I love zappos. I've ordered from them numerous times. They have a decent selection. I love the free shipping both directions. I've had to return stuff and it's no hassle. I just check them every day when I'm looking for something specific like this summer's sandals. Their selection seems to change pretty fast, and if they have something in one color but you like the style and they're out of the color you want, you can sign up for email notification when they get your size/color in. I've found that really handy.

Robin

Robin

Hi Robin, I like to do red with black and white, but your fuschia selection is great. I almost never match my bag to my shoes - too matchy, matchy. You probably already have a black bag, which would do just fine. I would maybe add fuschia earrings or bangles, and you are stylin'.

BTW, we love watching WNTW. Sometimes I have to do an eyeroll at what Stacy and Clinton say, but they do know their fashion, and I have learned much from them.

Aloha, Logan

I am going to do just that in three weeks. I found a really cute sundress on e-bay, white with fuschia floral print. I have a really cute set of turquoise heels - they will be my pop of color. Now I know they would look better in fuschia, but I found them for $5 at payless two year before I found the dress. I am sure most people will think I just forgot to pack pink shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Robin

May we see the dress?

I would say wear red shoes with a peep toe. I don't know how your dress looks but I wear black suits with white tops and red shoes to work. It looks really classy.

I love zappos. I've ordered from them numerous times. They have a decent selection. I love the free shipping both directions. I've had to return stuff and it's no hassle. I just check them every day when I'm looking for something specific like this summer's sandals. Their selection seems to change pretty fast, and if they have something in one color but you like the style and they're out of the color you want, you can sign up for email notification when they get your size/color in. I've found that really handy.

Robin

Hi again, Robin.

I did get a pair of shoes from Zappos, and not only did they come so fast I didn't even have time to think that I'd ordered shoes online, they were true to what the reviewers said--they were even prettier than the picture. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat if they had what I was hoping to find, like before.

But I have an easy to find shoe size, so wrt this thread I don't count!

I guess I should watch it again. How do they tape them without their knowledge for 2 weeks? Hidden camera crew?

I'm not a big TV watcher and sometimes I merely get glimpses of what my daughter will be watching. This show was one of them. If these women tryly look this bad every day, bless their friends for trying to come to their rescue. I'd like to see some of the makeovers a month later, I do believe habits, good and bad, are mostly routine and hard to break!

Back to Robin7, I have big feet too! I know what you are going through :o Not many great looking shoes come in larger sizes, especially when your foot is wide. Good luck with your shoe hunt :)

WNTW is a fantastic show- and sadly, I think that this is REALLY what these woman wear. There are enough poorly dressed women in america, that hey aren't having to make it up.

I especially love it when the "hidden" camera crew actually interviews the participant, without them knowing what for. They say it's a survey of their city or something.

I think some of my outfits could land me on that show- although for the most part I'm not badly dressed, just lazy about it, but really fashion is not my thing. I'm a few years out of date, always wear my hair in a bun, never ever wear makeup (though I don't need to), and wear the same boots everyday with black pants to work.

To the original poster- I LOVE the shoes, and think they will be great for a "pop" of color!

I'm 50 and watch WNTW all the time. I also like to watch Project Runway, which hasn't done a 4th season yet. You have reached the time of your life like I have where now that the kids can handle things themselves, it's time for you to work on how you look. I would do a splash of color such as a solid red narrow scarf with the red shoes. It would pull the look together. However, having not seen your dress this might not work. Stacy & Clinton advise that you don't have to match your shoes and handbag. A black bag or even a gray one might work. I used to sew all the time and I like looking at patterns, but I think my sewing days are over due to carpal tunnel, then surgery and now a relapse of sorts, in which I've been doing physical therapy. I still like to see patterns where you take about 5 pieces and create a wardrobe that all goes together. I like the navy/tan/white combinations. Doing a mix and match works good for cruises because it means you can get the most of the fewest pieces you take with you. IF you had a red scarf, for example, how could you work that into a casual night in the main dining room?

I am addicted to WNTW! Love, love, love, that show. I think the shoes are hot! Having said that, guess what girls, the matchy, matchy, thing is coming back! Yes, we have Miss Paris Hilton to thank for that! She is the queen of matchy, matchy! Whatever, do what you feel is right for you. I think bright pink with black & white will make the shoes "pop". I agree that a black bag would go best with the pink shoes. Have a really great cruise!:D

:D :D

Robin

I think they are perfect, I too am a fan of WNTW and they are dead on! I would probably carry a black purse and keep those great shoes as your Pop of color. I really think they are great!

Thank you! To all you wonderfull ladies that mentioned "Zappos". I just looked on their web site two days ago, ordered shoes yesterday and got them today. OMD-- they are wonderfull. I have a narrow foot and it's so hard to find a store around here that stocks narrows, so excited to see not just a few sizes. but hundreds of pairs in narrow. I got a beautifull, sexy red pair for our Oct. cruise.;)

Thanks again for Zappos info.

Retiredonthesea

Is Zappo's an actual brick and mortar store in NYC? It seems that every time I watch WNTW I see the girl with a Zappo's bag or box but I have never seen the actual storefront shown like some of the others are.

We have Designer Shoe Warehouse here in TX which is HUGE and has thousands of shoes on display and available to try on--I can spend hours in there...

Archived