Bait and switch? What would you do?

flitter306

OK - I don't think it's technically a bait & switch since the price isn't in question, but I couldn't think of a better term :p

Here's the deal. My new hubby and I went B2B on the Valor from 8/26-9/9. The second week we had some friends join us and our itinerary changed from Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya to Nassau, Grand Turk and Ochos Rios. Was I disappointed? Yes. But I certainly didn't want to be sailing through Hurricane Felix!

Since they made this change the day of the sailing and I was already onboard from the week before, I didn't have the opportunity to research Grand Turk and Jamaica, nor had we been there before. So when it came to choosing excursions we basically had to go by the documents we were provided by Carnival onboard. Honestly, the staff wasn't even that helpful in choosing excursions because they weren't familiar with the ports either. But again, I wasn't going to let that ruin our honeymoon! We were given an addendum with revised excursions and the rest we read about on the TV and the shore excursion book.

One of the excursions listed for Jamaica was golfing at Breezes Runaway Bay. Since DH had taken golf lessons on the ship that week, and Breezes has hosted championship events, he decided to splurge on himself (something he never does!) and he booked it a day or two before we got to Jamaica. One of the other guys we were with decided the night beforewe got to Jamaica that he wanted to go with DH and let me and my friend have a "girls day" at the beach.

The gentleman at the Purser's had a hard time finding the Breezes excursion in his computer, but when he found it he said it was listed in the computer under a different name. When the ticket printed out it said "Sandals Golf." I thought it was weird, but because he said it was "under a different name" I just thought it was an error with the system. Especially because the Breezes excursion was one of the revised ones listed in the addendum they gave to each stateroom a couple days into the cruise.

As it turns out, they weren't taken to Breezes, they were taken to Sandals. DH was pretty disappointed at how easy the course was and I can assure you he isn't that good, thus the lessons all week :p . And he was so excited to play on a "championship course" since he doesn't really have that opportunity at home.

If this happened to you, would you contact Carnival? Part of me feels like DH didn't get what he paid for, but then again, I don't know if Breezes would've been the same price since it was never listed in their system. Plus there is the emotional side of me that hated seeing him so disappointed afterwards.

I believe I have heard at one point the Breezes Resorts and owned by Sandals owners (or vice versa). Could it have been that your hubby was at the right course and they just used the names interchangeably?

As far as the ease of the course, maybe the lessons paid off and he was just that good!

Hope this helps and is correct! :)

I would definitely write a nice letter to Carnival's guest relations explaining the situation and what happened. This will at least let Carnival know there is a difference in the two excursions and it can be passed on to the pursers so that this doesn't happen to someone else. You might also get your excursion money back in some form. I had this happen to me on a Grand Cayman excursion last year and I received an $80 obc on my next cruise. It is worth a shot and it might make your DH feel a bit better about the let down.

I believe I have heard at one point the Breezes Resorts and owned by Sandals owners (or vice versa). Could it have been that your hubby was at the right course and they just used the names interchangeably?

As far as the ease of the course, maybe the lessons paid off and he was just that good!

For as long as I've been staying with Breezes, Montego Bay, they have been part of SuperClubs. Sandals has, to the best of my knowledge, always been Sandals. They are two distinct organizations.

I think the resort that they were referring to was the Breezes Runaway Bay Resort and Golf Club, previously known as Jamaica Jamaica (as it was named when I stayed there...).

In the rush to put together excursions I can understand the error. It shouldn't have happened but tying up all the loose ends in a matter of days could well be very challenging.

Breezes is not owned by Sandals. I'd guess you are thinking about beaches which is the family resort owned by Sandals (Sandals is adults only).

To me it sounds like a misunderstanding of what the excursions deck knew. I would just write Carnival and explain what happen. Tell you don't feel you got the right excursion that you paid for.

I wouldn't expect them to give you another cruise, but maybe some money back on the excursion. I'm sure things like that do happen. I don't think Carnival is in to playing the bait and switch game.

Did your DH and his friend pay the same amount for their excursions?

The Carnival shore excursions page for Ochos Rios lists both Breezes and Sandals golf excursions. Here are the descriptions:

Breezes, Runaway Bay Golf Club Five hours $140 ($$)

The SuperClubs Golf Course is a par seventy two, eighteen hole championship golf course which offers an exhilarating experience for beginners and accomplished golfers alike.

Course particulars: The course was designed by Major John Harris from Britain and was opened in 1960.

It features long rolling fairways and large undulated greens which are protected by either grassy mounds or well placed sand bunkers.

The course has hosted many events including a Ryder Cup-style match between the United Kingdom and the West Indies, the well-known Jamaican Open, and the Heineken World Cup Qualifier, among many others.

http://www.carnivalgolf.com/carnival/s_imaginationmonday.html

Sandals Golf Club Five hours $$$

This course is recognized as being one of the most enchanting and beautiful golf courses in the Caribbean.

This course: Features rolling fairways, constant breezes and a plantation clubhouse.

Is nestled between the lush St. Ann Mountains and the Caribbean Sea.

Is reminiscent of a quaint Mediterranean village.

Par 71, 6,311 yards. For further information, please visit www.carnivalgolf.com

Note: Caddies are mandatory and payable at the golf course ($17.00 p/cart) and are a welcome addition to any round of vacation golf.

For club rentals, golf services and questions please contact carnivalgolf.com (pre-cruise) or see your golf professional onboard.

Don't know if this information will help you but I thought you might want to include some of the above details in your letter/inquiry to Carnival.

Since your husband is obviously not a golfer, I would do nothing.

What does his level have to do with her question?

Personally I would just write a nice letter to Carnival explaining the situation and see what happens. IT is unfortunate that he didnt get to go to the course he wanted to go to. NO matter what his level is. Also what I would take into consideration is this. Would he still have chosen the excursion at the same price he paid to go to Sandals? I wouldnt have at all.

That was my thought also. Not sure though.

DH definitely wouldn't have chosen to go golfing if he knew it was going to be at Sandals. He really wanted to visit Dunn's River Falls, but because Breezes is a championship course he chose golf instead. There was no listing for an excursion at Sandals in any of the paperwork Carnival provided to us, which is why we assumed that they were the same place and they used the names interchangably. On the bus ride back to the pier after golfing the golf pro told them that Breezes and Sandals are two different courses.

I plan on writing a letter to Carnival anyway because overall we had a fabulous time and there are certain members of the staff that we want to acknowledge for their superior service (in addition to the comment cards we completed onboard). In the scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal and I'm not expecting them to give us a free cruise or OBC on our next cruise (and there will be a next cruise!!) or anything. It's just not sitting right with me and wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for feeling that way. I'll make mention of it in the letter so that they are aware of what happened and leave it at that.

Thanks all!!

DH definitely wouldn't have chosen to go golfing if he knew it was going to be at Sandals. He really wanted to visit Dunn's River Falls, but because Breezes is a championship course he chose golf instead. There was no listing for an excursion at Sandals in any of the paperwork Carnival provided to us, which is why we assumed that they were the same place and they used the names interchangably. On the bus ride back to the pier after golfing the golf pro told them that Breezes and Sandals are two different courses.

I plan on writing a letter to Carnival anyway because overall we had a fabulous time and there are certain members of the staff that we want to acknowledge for their superior service (in addition to the comment cards we completed onboard). In the scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal and I'm not expecting them to give us a free cruise or OBC on our next cruise (and there will be a next cruise!!) or anything. It's just not sitting right with me and wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for feeling that way. I'll make mention of it in the letter so that they are aware of what happened and leave it at that.

Thanks all!!

Send Guest Relations a well worded note about the disappointment and confusion.

I would send it snail mail to:

Guest Relations

Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Place

3655 NW 87 Avenue

Miami, Fl. 33178-2428

305-599-2600

Keep your expectations realistic and your letter short and to the point.

Starting your letter with a compliment about the rest of your cruise is a nice touch. Then add, however, the reason for my letter is ......

Basically, "this" is what we were promised "this" is what was delivered

"this" is the reason the substitution was a disappointment.

It may take 6 -8 weeks...they get a lot of mail. But they will reply.

Good luck!!

Just FYI, I've played both courses and neither is what I would call a "championship" level course. "Championship" in the Caribbean does not exactly translate to meaning "world-class". The Sandals course is the old Upton Country Club and is far enough up the hill that it gets some nice cooling winds so even on a hot day it's not too bad. The Breezes course is probably a little tougher, but I also believe it gets heavier use.

I think you should have gotten what you thought you paid for but if Carnival doesn't do much for you don't think that your husband got stuck playing on a vastly inferior course. As a high-handicapper he probably had more fun than he would have at the Breezes course.

It was your honeymoon? Let this go.... There was a major change to the cruising world (as there is with every hurricane). Everyone working on the ship has extra work and is stressed. Definately not bait and switch, the poor guy at the excursion desk just didn't know what he was doing. Don't write a letter and then have to wait and see what happens. You'll be waiting and steaming until you hear back. And then you might not be happy with Carnival's response. Take charge, put it behind you and just have great memories, including the one where your husband had a great time golfing, but (maybe) at the wrong course. He did have fun didn't he? Was the price about the same? Did he pay a fair amount for what he got. Smile, be happy, just remember the good times. Congratulations!

I don't think he had fun. When I asked him about it he said "eh it was alright" which is pretty much the same response he's been giving everyone else that asks.

I'm going to write the letter because I want to extend my appreciation for other parts of the cruise and I will note what happened with the golf, but I'm not expecting any response at all. I work in customer service, I know how it is. And I also know that the negative letters outweigh the positive at least 10 to 1, so if I've got something positive to say I always make sure to write a letter.

Archived