Freeport snorkling question

sandravb79

Hey all,

I have never snorkled before, so sorry if I ask completely stupid questions :)

First of all: does one need snorkling experience to be able to snorkle at the Bahamas? Is it something you can do without having to follow courses before?

I would like to go snorkling when we are at Freeport, but I will be accompanied by my mom, who basically doesn't swim. The snorkling excursions offered by the cruise are rather long, a couple of hours, and I don't want to leave my mom on herself that long. She does speak English, but not very fluently, and since cancer surgery a couple of years ago, she sometimes becomes rather confused and scared, so I don't want to leave her too long alone on a strange island.

Is there a place where I can snorkle for a short time, where my mom can be around (like on the beach) without her having to pay for the whole snorkling experience? (I don't mind paying for a beach visit or whatever ( no idea how those things are in the US/ Bahamas) but we don't want to waist money on a snorkling tour for her if she won't even touch water.

This is also the reason we won't go swim with dolphins. I would love to, but it would be rather dumb to pay for her to come with us, and then not go in the water at all :( So no dolphins for me :( but maybe I can see fish in the water :)

Thanks already for your help/ experiences/ advice!

Paradise Cove Freeport! This is the perfect place for you to go! check this board out i have a review of it on here somewhere

any questions just ask!

Good luck arranging a taxi for just 2 people. We were there on Labor Day and the dispatchers refused to summon a taxi for just the 3 of us. They kept saying wait 5 more minutes..... 5 more minutes..... etc. Disappointed? You bet.

If you can't arrange a group in advance, you may have the same trouble we did. Good luck with that.

Well, since I barely know where the Bahamas are and I needed a cruise leaving on October 21 or 22 from Port Canaveral, this Carnival cruise it is.

So, what are the nice places in Freeport (in general)?

When I booked the cruise, there was an excursion mentioned that takes you on a shopping/ sightseeing tour. It said it lasts 2.5 hours, but that there were shuttles every 30 minutes back to the ship if people wanted to stay longer. Now that I can book excursions, they don't seem to offer that.

So does that mean we are or trapped on the ship, or need to do another excursion?

Or is there a way to go to the town by ourselves?

This is getting so confusing. :(

Btw, no need to tell me the place is a dump or to avoid it, it's not possible anymore, I will be going there, I only need helpful, positive/ realisitc information!

Thanks! :)

First, keep in mind that you are going to be in a 3rd world country. So parts of Freeport are not going to be very nice. on the other hand, it is the bahamas, so you will love it....As long as you choose to.

I do not like Carnival Excursions. JMHO. I do not like getting in and out of busses, being herded like a sheep, and watching someone elses clock. Best bet is to get off the ship with everyone, and get a cab to Our Lucaya Beaches. Get off at the market, bring money to shop, a swim suit to swim, an attitude that says you are going to have fun, and leave the area about 2 hours before you need to be back on the ship. If you see something along the way that looks interesting, stop! (also, using the 2 hour rule, if there is anything near the port you can enjoy your time there, you can not sweat the transportation, and you might find people that want to share a ride back to the ship.

I am told that you can arrange other water things at Our Lucaya beach at the hotel watersport desk (on the beach) like snorkel trips, sailing, etc. I know there is a small straw market across the street.

Have a fun trip. I come back from Freeport 10/1, and will drop you a note of what I found.

I have been to Freeport many times.snosrkeling is excellent and the beach is gorgeous..any golfers?.. an excellent course right near OUR LUCAYA. I would recommend you take the shuttle taxi to OUR LUCAYA.. a beautiful beach in front of the westin and Sheratons.. across the street is a little shopping village and also snorkel tours.. you may be able to sign up for one there or in front of the sheraton...

Thanks again for the answers!

I do golf, but not very well, so I'd rather not disturb the other golfers on that course :)

I know it's a third world country, I have already been to some, like Tunesia (nice when you stay in touristy-part around the beach, but very third world once you go a couple of miles inland) and Poland/ Romania/ ... before the wall came down.

I do not expect Americanized things, I will enjoy them during the US portion of the trip but don't need them during the rest :)

I have never been to the Caribbean/ Bahamas, nor have any of the people I know. It's not the most obvious destination for Belgians, so I need these boards for answers/ help :)

Yesterday, my mom and I decided that we'll take the shuttle to Our Lucaya, I can go for a snorkel tour, and we'll have fun doing not that much. Just enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Archived