Hertz Seward

freddiebud

can you do one way rental, drop off the car at Anchorage airport after the land tour? Will that be significantly more expensive?

Yes, you can pick up in Anchorage and drop off in Anchorage. But figure a pretty hefty drop fee. If you are going to use a rental car to get to Anchorage then do a land tour afterward, you are probably best to do a 1 day one-war Hertz rental from Seward to downtown Anchorage, then pick up a local rental in Anchorage for the land tour. It usually works out much cheaper this way, depending on how long your land tour is.

Note I said to return the first car downtown - so you can pick up the second car downtown and save the hefty Anchorage airport fees. You can (usually) return cars rented in downtown Anchorage at the ANC airport for no additional charge (most notable exception is Enterprise).

John

How did you get a car from Hertz? They keep telling me they are sold out on the computer. Maybe I will call them.

You might want to call Hertz national, Hertz Seward and/or Hertz Anchorage. I think after several people booked one-way rentals they need to be sure they have enough cars in each location. Too many one-ways from Anchorage to Seward means they have too many cars in Seward, or vice versa.

Yes, you can pick up in Anchorage and drop off in Anchorage. But figure a pretty hefty drop fee. If you are going to use a rental car to get to Anchorage then do a land tour afterward, you are probably best to do a 1 day one-war Hertz rental from Seward to downtown Anchorage, then pick up a local rental in Anchorage for the land tour. It usually works out much cheaper this way, depending on how long your land tour is.

John

John, that's a great suggestion! thank you!

I meant pick up in SEWARD and drop in Anchorage! Sorry.

For my Hertz one-day rental reservation for July 2008 with pick-up in Seward, the price was the same ($92.79 total) whether the car was returned in Seward or in Anchorage. But you wouldn't want to pay that rate for more than a day or two, so don't keep your Hertz car for a long period of time.

For my Hertz one-day rental reservation for July 2008 with pick-up in Seward, the price was the same ($92.79 total) whether the car was returned in Seward or in Anchorage. But you wouldn't want to pay that rate for more than a day or two, so don't keep your Hertz car for a long period of time.

And don't ask NancyIL how she got her rate since the going rate can now be $200 or more. Booking early - as soon as you can (up to 12 months in advance) - gives one the greatest flexibility.

John

Nancy...I hope you have that in writing about no drop off fee! The Hertz in Seward is privately owned and the reason why they charge fees for one ways. They need to get their own cars back to Seward and many times employees go get them. You may also have limited mileage with your rate, as that has been quoted to me. Do double check with Rosie, the owner at 1-907-224-4378 Maybe you got a great deal from a corporate/discount code??

Back to the original question...Hertz is a couple blocks from the terminal. They do have a shuttle or it's an easy walk on a nice day.

Something else you might want to know is that ALL cruise ship luggage is dropped off outside of the terminal in a big white bin. It then goes through security and delivered to your room. You can drop it off anytime after 11am. So there's no need to drop off luggage and have someone there with it till the driver returns.

Nancy...I hope you have that in writing about no drop off fee! The Hertz in Seward is privately owned and the reason why they charge fees for one ways. They need to get their own cars back to Seward and many times employees go get them. You may also have limited mileage with your rate, as that has been quoted to me. Do double check with Rosie, the owner at 1-907-224-4378 Maybe you got a great deal from a corporate/discount code??

I made it with Hertz online, so just checked what my paperwork says. Unlimited miles and no mention of a drop fee. Also just checked rates again for an Aug. 1 pick-up in Seward with ANC drop-off, and the rate for the same fullsize car is now $270.27!!! :eek:

I made it with Hertz online, so just checked what my paperwork says. Unlimited miles and no mention of a drop fee. Also just checked rates again for an Aug. 1 pick-up in Seward with ANC drop-off, and the rate for the same fullsize car is now $270.27!!! :eek:

Me too. Booked online, no drop fee and unlimted miles. I also just checked rates again and found that rates have doubled for the cars we booked a couple of weeks ago for July '08!! This board has now officially saved me about $700! Wow!

Thanks for the answer to my original question. We love walking, so I think we will drop off the bags and enjoy the walk back.

As to the rental, DH is a Hertz Gold Card member and we booked on-line for June 2008. With a AAA discount which was better than the entertainment book. And we booked for 5 days - Anchorage to Denali to Seward.

• 2 weeks later...
Me too. Booked online, no drop fee and unlimted miles. I also just checked rates again and found that rates have doubled for the cars we booked a couple of weeks ago for July '08!! This board has now officially saved me about $700! Wow!

you are lucky, we are one of the dodo's :rolleyes: that didnt check every day and now we booked a few days ago and it will be over $700 for 5 day rental in July 08!! I am shocked!:eek:

you are lucky, we are one of the dodo's :rolleyes: that didnt check every day and now we booked a few days ago and it will be over $700 for 5 day rental in July 08!! I am shocked!:eek:

Don't despair. Keep checking. There is a chance the rate will drop. If the rate continues to go up, your rate is guaranteed. If the rate drops, you make a new reservation first, then after that is confirmed, you cancel the old one.

Another option that might or might not be cheaper is to check the Hertz rate for just a one-day one-way rental from Seward to Anchorage, then a four day rental or perhaps five day rental depending on time of day, your itinerary, etc) pick up and drop off in Anchorage. That might or might not be cheaper. I just know that for the one-way rentals, not only is there a drop fee but a higher daily rate is built into the rate. So it might or might not be cheaper.

A VERY quick glance at random dates in July (16-21) showed me this:

5 day Hertz rental pick up Seward, drop off Anchorage airport $540 without any discount codes

1 day Hertz rental pick up Seward, drop off Anchorage $240 without any discount codes

5 day Hertz rental pick up Anchorage airport, drop off Anchorage airport $528

So if you stuck just to Hertz, this costs more.

But if you dropped off Hertz and picked up National the 5 day rate for National pick up and drop off at Anchorage airport is $305. That comes to $545 which is the same price as Hertz the entire time. You might be able to knock off $100 from the Anchorage rental if you pick up downtown rather than the airport.

All this is hypothetical with rates different than you found. My point is:

1) check rates occasionally for what you already have booked

2) check rates on two rentals as described above to see if it might or might not be cheaper.

John

2) check rates on two rentals as described above to see if it might or might not be cheaper.

John

When we rented a car out West a few years ago, we found that getting two separate rentals was cheaper than one, by a significant amount. So, we returned our car, and then picked up another one. Crazy, but you have to learn the system and play the game.

When we rented a car out West a few years ago, we found that getting two separate rentals was cheaper than one, by a significant amount. So, we returned our car, and then picked up another one. Crazy, but you have to learn the system and play the game.

Glad it worked for you. Sometimes two rentals are cheaper, sometimes not. It never hurts to check both ways. Generally, the longer the rental, the more likely two separate rentals will be cheaper, especially if you can drop off the one-way rental within a day or two.

John

I feel your pain! Though we booked early enough to get the "better price," we're still forking out nearly $700 ourselves for a 6-day rental. We did book suv's though, which are now listed at $197 a day, about double our rate. At least since we booked so far in advance we've got more time to save!

Archived