Cash Deposit on SeaPass Acct. How much?

lucywestie

When you sign for your seapass account and opt to just pay cash rather than credit card. How much do they ask as a deposit for a 13 Day cruise?

Is it a set amount per person per day or just a lump sum deposit with requests for top ups as the amount decreases throughout the cruise?

Thanks

Pete

When you sign for your seapass account and opt to just pay cash rather than credit card. How much do they ask as a deposit for a 13 Day cruise?

Is it a set amount per person per day or just a lump sum deposit with requests for top ups as the amount decreases throughout the cruise?

Thanks

Pete

You know I have called RCI twice (so that I could get two people and see if the story was the same) about the cash thing as DH and I have no credit cards. I was under the impression BEFORE I called that I had to put down like 200 dollars per person or something. Well this cruise was a gift from my dad for my graduating college (Im 34 and yes that is old to graduate..lol.) so we really dont have alot of spending money anyway.

RCI told me that you can put whatever amount you want on the pass. Posters on this website have also said that if you feel you need to add more that you can go to the pursers desk during the week to add more. Now I have never cruised before and I sincerely hope that this is the case. I am going to put the amount of suggested tips and some extra because I know I will want one photo as a memory...dont know if I will ever get the chance to go again or let alone if I will even like cruising.

I recall seeing that if you want to settle your onboard account in cash or with traveller cheques, you can put on up to a certain amount ($300 I seem to remember) without a deposit. Once you reach that amount, the purser's desk will contact you about putting some cash down on your account.

I will confirm this shortly and try to post more info shortly. Being Cdn., I plan to settle our account for our upcoming Radiance cruise (leave for it today, board tomorrow, hurray) in cash to avoid being billed on my CC in $CAD even though I had ticked off on boarding docs not to do so. I had purchased $USD when rate was good recently.

As a side note, $CAD was at around $0.965USD yesterday, a 30 year high.

Down side is they won't let you off the ship till you settle your account :)

That sounds like a plan since the Radiance cruise we board on tomorrow is a repositioning one to LA for a Hawaiian itinerary.

Will they force me to stay onboard for the next cruise? icon7.gificon12.gif

I REALLY strongly suggest getting a credit card. You don't have to use it, and most have no fees associated with them when not used.

It is unlikely that you are going to have several thousand spare $ on you during your cruise. BUT in an emergency you might need it.

Think if you miss the ship in a port....you are going to have to pony up some cash asap to 'fix' that. Or if you get sick in a foreign port.

Also, for things like rental car deposits, a credit card takes away the liquidity issue of having to put a few hundred down as a deposit because you can secure that deposit (w/o having it charged) with your card.

Just makes good sense in today's time to have one, even if you don't use it.

It is also fantastic for your Sea Pass card too, you CAN always pay off sea pass in cash before your cruise ends, but don't have to worry about putting the right amount of cash down up front.

Last cruise for example I used my Visa for the deposit on the hotel, deposit on a rental Jeep, and my sea pass. I never actually charged anything to it because I paid cash when it came time to settle the bill. BUT I wasn't having to give everyone (hotel/car place/cruise line) a wad of cash to 'hold for me' to secure my expenses.

On our last cruise in May 07 (honeymoon) it was the first time I ever did not use my credit card for my sea pass account and it was really no trouble at all. We settled up the night before and there was no line to speak of. When we boarded the ship we went to the pursers desk ( again no line to speak of) and gave them $500 cash to open the account, but we were told that we need not put anything down that when our account reached $500 they would let us know and then we would need to deposit money with them. I think about 1/2 way thru the cruise we put another few hundred down and by the time the cruise was over we had spent just about all of it. We used the envelopes for cash tips. I really think that with most cruisers using credit cards now, the days of standing in a huge line to settle up are dwindling. My DH is a cash guy and although we have credit cards he doesn't like to use them unless it is necessary and vacation is not what he considers "necessary" so it's cash all the way for us.

I know on previous cruises I went on, I had cash on the account and also a credit card. However once the balance was over my cash amount paid, they declined me when I tried to use the account and I had to go to the guest relations desk to clear it up. I had also for my son just cash because I knew he wouldn't spend much and they actually put a block on his card so he couldn't use it at all because I didn't have a credit card with it and I had to keep a cash balance available for him to use it. Also the point about having a credit card - you do have to remember some people outright can't get approved for a card nor should you question their reason for not having one. I will also tell you don't get one of those visa type gift cards - I heard many people state the cruise lines wouldn't take them because they had no name on them. Only other thing I could think of is if you have a checking account with a bank that has debit cards is to get one linked to your checking account and use that as your credit card. I always use that one to use instead of carrying the cash and it worked better than my trying to put a cash deposit on the card.

I know on previous cruises I went on, I had cash on the account and also a credit card. However once the balance was over my cash amount paid, they declined me when I tried to use the account and I had to go to the guest relations desk to clear it up. I had also for my son just cash because I knew he wouldn't spend much and they actually put a block on his card so he couldn't use it at all because I didn't have a credit card with it and I had to keep a cash balance available for him to use it. Also the point about having a credit card - you do have to remember some people outright can't get approved for a card nor should you question their reason for not having one. I will also tell you don't get one of those visa type gift cards - I heard many people state the cruise lines wouldn't take them because they had no name on them. Only other thing I could think of is if you have a checking account with a bank that has debit cards is to get one linked to your checking account and use that as your credit card. I always use that one to use instead of carrying the cash and it worked better than my trying to put a cash deposit on the card.

I closed out my credit cards and use a bank debit card instead. I want to use my debit card on my cruise instead of putting a large sum of money on my Seapass card but how does that work? Does RCCL withdraw daily from my card or can I make a lump sum payment at the end of the cruise?

Leslie

I closed out my credit cards and use a bank debit card instead. I want to use my debit card on my cruise instead of putting a large sum of money on my Seapass card but how does that work? Does RCCL withdraw daily from my card or can I make a lump sum payment at the end of the cruise?

Leslie

I have heard horror stories about people using debit cards for sea pass accounts. Mainly that it can tie up your bank account for quite a few days after the cruise is over with pending charges. Also, if you decide to use your debit card it is a good idea to let your bank know ahead of time. If you plan to use the debit card for purchases in port this can also be a problem if the cruise line has a high pending charge on your debit.

I REALLY strongly suggest getting a credit card. You don't have to use it, and most have no fees associated with them when not used.

It is unlikely that you are going to have several thousand spare $ on you during your cruise. BUT in an emergency you might need it.

Think if you miss the ship in a port....you are going to have to pony up some cash asap to 'fix' that. Or if you get sick in a foreign port.

Also, for things like rental car deposits, a credit card takes away the liquidity issue of having to put a few hundred down as a deposit because you can secure that deposit (w/o having it charged) with your card.

Just makes good sense in today's time to have one, even if you don't use it.

It is also fantastic for your Sea Pass card too, you CAN always pay off sea pass in cash before your cruise ends, but don't have to worry about putting the right amount of cash down up front.

Last cruise for example I used my Visa for the deposit on the hotel, deposit on a rental Jeep, and my sea pass. I never actually charged anything to it because I paid cash when it came time to settle the bill. BUT I wasn't having to give everyone (hotel/car place/cruise line) a wad of cash to 'hold for me' to secure my expenses.

Was trying to avoid the reason for not having one but here goes...apparently I am the only person ever to have to go through consumer credit counseling and therefore was advised not to get any more until it is over in two years.......the consumer credit agency doesnt report to the credit reporting agencies its the credit card companies reporting to the credit report agencies that you had to get bills put all in one payment. They are getting their money but its through another person so that they would stop hassling us......I know I know... I probably shouldnt be cruising because of what has happend but this was a gift from my father for graduating college...;...again so in essence I cannot get one probably if I tried now.......I wasnt planning on getting a car rental because we dont have money for that and didnt think I would need it....yes I was concerned about getting sick.....was concerned with needing emergency type money....but what can I do....I have actually tried to apply for a credit card and cannot get one....I know its extremely embarrasing........but I cant throw the cruise back in my dad's face just because we screwed up our credit on our own.......I mean its less than 15k but thats enough to me to feel like a million....we are almost done but again it has put a dent in our credit.....dent....pfff...its put it in the ground six feet under....so yes I just shared something I shouldnt have but I am trying to gain information just like the OP and praying that nothing terrible happens as we have no back up......but what did people back in the sixties do when credit wasnt so liberal as it is now?

Katie, I always use cash when cruising....I usually go to the pursers desk on the first day and put an amount down that I feel will be sufficient for the cruise and each night I go back to the pursers desk to get a printout of the day's expenses (I somehow never hold on to my receipts...I try but somehow they get misplaced, hahaha..must be from the rumrunners and pina coladas); I have never had a problem doing this and it keeps me within the budget I set for myself...I do have a credit card but never use it...I know you are thinking an emergency may happen, but chances are there won't be any emergency but if there was, is there a family member that you would be able to call in the event an emergency did arise that would allow you to use theirs? (I'm sure the pursers desk would allow you to place a call if there was an emergency for that purpose)....so my advice to you is go on your cruise and RELAX...and don't worry about anything happening....:D

Katie, I always use cash when cruising....I usually go to the pursers desk on the first day and put an amount down that I feel will be sufficient for the cruise and each night I go back to the pursers desk to get a printout of the day's expenses (I somehow never hold on to my receipts...I try but somehow they get misplaced, hahaha..must be from the rumrunners and pina coladas); I have never had a problem doing this and it keeps me within the budget I set for myself...I do have a credit card but never use it...I know you are thinking an emergency may happen, but chances are there won't be any emergency but if there was, is there a family member that you would be able to call in the event an emergency did arise that would allow you to use theirs? (I'm sure the pursers desk would allow you to place a call if there was an emergency for that purpose)....so my advice to you is go on your cruise and RELAX...and don't worry about anything happening....:D

Thankyou!! Yes there is my dad....he gave us the cruise for my graduation from college and he will be driving us to the peir which is like 35-40 miles from where we live...its the same county but RCI would definatly have to wait for my dad to get their....hehe....

I have heard horror stories about people using debit cards for sea pass accounts. Mainly that it can tie up your bank account for quite a few days after the cruise is over with pending charges. Also, if you decide to use your debit card it is a good idea to let your bank know ahead of time. If you plan to use the debit card for purchases in port this can also be a problem if the cruise line has a high pending charge on your debit.

I read some of those stories before our cruise. We have 2 checking accounts, one auto deposit for our bills, another for local deposits from refunds, extra money, etc. When we got home, I checked the account to make sure everything was accounted for. RCC's charges came thru, but there was an extra charge "pending" that was tieing up my account. I called RCI about it, they explained that the "hold" would dissappear but each bank was different. They than faxed a release to the bank for me, and it immediately disappeared.

I read some of those stories before our cruise. We have 2 checking accounts, one auto deposit for our bills, another for local deposits from refunds, extra money, etc. When we got home, I checked the account to make sure everything was accounted for. RCC's charges came thru, but there was an extra charge "pending" that was tieing up my account. I called RCI about it, they explained that the "hold" would dissappear but each bank was different. They than faxed a release to the bank for me, and it immediately disappeared.

I called RCI about the debit card thing and the lady claimed that they werent doing this anymore....not sure if that is true as it seems sometimes you get a different answer each time you call.

You are not the only person to have to go through consumer credit counseling. Believe me I know. We did it for 5 years. That 5 years went fast and now we have our debt in control. Now for vacations we save money and pay for it in cash. Your dad gave you a gift and from what I've read here you can have a great time on a cruise with a tight budget. You will be fine without a credit card. Go, have fun and enjoy yourself!!! You deserve it.

On AOS, last summer I didn't have to put any money on my account. I was told that when I was near $200 I will be contacted to put money on my account.

On MOS, this summer I had to put $200 on my account when I boarded. I was also told that whatever I didn't spend will be given back to me at the end of the cruise.

So I guess it really depends what ship you are traveling on.

I must admit that it was a much better feeling to come home( after our honeymoon cruise when we used cash) and not have to owe any money for anything. We will always use cash for our sea pass from now on. The credit card is used only to purchase airline tix for the trip and any "sparklies" I can get him to buy me while in port;)

I met a lady on a RCCI cruise last year that told me she put a $300. cash deposit down toward her sea pass because she didn't want to use her credit card.

Her onboard purchases were deducted from her deposit and as the cruise came close to the end she was "pged" to apply additional cash toward her Sea pass to cover her balance.

As I see it, put a cash deposit down & as you use it it will be deducted. If you have a remaining balance you'll be refunded at the end of the cruise. If you used more than your deposit you'll be asked for additional cash before a purchase taking you over your deposit amount.

My best advice is to contact RCCI directly regarding their policy. (http://www.rcci.com)

We have both paid cash and used credit cards- although not on the same cruise. Last month on Liberty we did not register a credit card when I did my sign in and so I figured they would put a "hold" on our sea pass until we came down and gave them some $$$$$. But, they didn't and we "charged" all week- although I think the total was under $500- and then settled up the night before we left.

One person was right- they flag your sea pass and won't let you leave the ship if you haven't paid.... I guess that wouldn't be too bad!

We put $200 on our SeaPass the first thing when we got on the ship. I had read a horror story about someone's credit card being charged some erroneous charges and they had a dreadful time disputing it with RCCL so I decided cash was the way to go for us. A warning though: Keep track of what you are spending. They will decline your charge when you run out of money. I saw it happen to a lady in the photo line. She was told by the photo clerk to go to the purser's desk and add money. So, make sure you know what your balance is. The purser can give you a printout at any time.

Archived