Downgrade after an upgrade???

brightonbelle

We have just booked a cruise on Carnvial Pride for a few weeks time, there weren't any named 8A cabins available so we did the unnamed thing where you are gauranteed a minimum of an 8A.

Well just completed our funpass and we have been given a catagory 11 !!!!! I can't believe they have upgraded us so much! - Can we really start to get excited about this, or is it a mistake and that we will get downgraded again to the 8A.

The other odd thing is that the website shows 8a cabins still available but no 11's!

I did the same thing- I booked BL guarantee (which is at least a balcony guarantee) and I was upgraded to a cat 11 suite- that was 53 days ago- I am sailing on Sunday on the Miracle and my doc still have that suite listed as mine!! I will keep you updated if anything changes!!!!:D

Brightonbelle,

Congrtulations! What a great upgrade!!

We sail on the Pride 11/18 but haven't filled out our info on line yet.

How did you find out you cabin #? Did it come up after you filled out your info online for your card?

Again, congrats and enjoy your trip. I hope we get the same great upgrade.

We have just booked a cruise on Carnvial Pride for a few weeks time, there weren't any named 8A cabins available so we did the unnamed thing where you are gauranteed a minimum of an 8A.

Well just completed our funpass and we have been given a catagory 11 !!!!! I can't believe they have upgraded us so much! - Can we really start to get excited about this, or is it a mistake and that we will get downgraded again to the 8A.

The other odd thing is that the website shows 8a cabins still available but no 11's!

Wow, the Upgrade Fairy was very good to you, congratulations.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Congrstulations on your fantastic upgrade. I am sure that will be your stateroom. Enjoy and have a fantastic cruise. We go when you return on the "Miracle"(9/24). We also got a great upgrade on this Ship. We went from an 8A to 8G midship Balcony. We bought a guarantee and We are happy with our stateroom also. IKE

Not to burst your bubble but your cabin can still be changed up until boarding. I always book an Balcony Guarantee and have always been upgraded at least one deck. Once though, I used the methods I'd read about on these boards and found that I had been upgraded to a suite. I went through the VIP check-in (no great shakes really) only to find that I had been moved to an 8C cabin. Still a good upgrade and only minimally disappointing until we set sail and I forgot all about it. So now I don't worry about the cabin assignment because I know it can always change. Go and enjoy your cruise no matter which cabin you end up in.

We booked our cruise leaving 9/23/07 back in January. We booked a Cat 11 and a specific room. We were called three weeks ago and upgraged to Cat 12 just a few rooms down from where we were originally and then we were called two days ago and moved directly across the ship to another Cat 12 room. While I appreciate the upgrade immensely, I don't wish to to be moved around from that general area as I am a bit concerned about the possibility of seasickness and chose that deck and location originally for its very centralized location on the ship. But hopefully I don't have anything to worry about as I don't believe there are any Cat 12's anywhere else on board.

If they by chance downgraded us back into a Cat 11, I would expect my original room choice back.

Have a great cruise and congrats on your upgrade!!!

Just checked on line and found that we are in cabin 7227 (veranda deck) on the Pride for Nov 18th cruise. We booked a balcony guarantee and got upgraded to 8G with an extended balcony. Not a suite but ok. I was really hoping for a suite. I was told by our TA that since we are traveling with 5 other couples, we problably wouldn't be upgraded to a suite because they would have to upgrade all the couples....to be fair to all.

Has anyone every been upgraded to a suite when cruising with a group?

Free upgrades are great! I am travelling solo on the Triumph in 2 weeks and have already been upgraded 2 categories from my original guarentee booking. Just beware, an upgrade could be a wolf in sheeps clothing. When I sailed on one of the previous ships (can't recall which one) I was given a 3 cat upgrade. I was so excited, I never checked the deck plan to see where I was located. 1 week later, I looked at the deck plan for the deck above and below. Guess where they put me? Right under Camp Carnival ! Got the upgrade downdraded right back to a deck and location I knew I could be happy in.

Upgrades can often land you in a very "undesirable" location. Next to/across from elevtors, stairs the crew use (all day long), next to/across from the launderettes. (Slamming Door and loud voices in the hallway all day and night), under the Main Lounge, etc, etc, etc. I think you get the idea.

As always, it's Buyer Beware.

Hi,

We were upgraded in 2002 from a cat 6 to a cat 11. We had no idea til we pulled up to the port and unloaded our suitcases. The porter there said we must know someone to get such a nice upgrade. We went through VIP check in which was a LOT quicker than the regular check in. This was in 2002 so I don't know about the VIP check in now. After the cruise I wrote them a letter expressing my gratitude over the upgrade and the excellent service. They rewarded me with coupons for free photos onboard on my next cruise. Have fun and enjoy, but remember you will have fun no matter what cat you're in. Wanda

Hi Brightonbell.

They will give away a higher category because it is easier to sell a lower category than a higher one. So - they will upgrade you to 11 and therefore have your 8 to resell to someone else - thus selling more cabins.

Wanda

Keene State Mom

I got on Carnival website, after keying booking # (need a password to get to that part)I just selected that I wanted paper documents (which I will get from our TA!). It than gave me our cruise date, ship, itinerary and our room #!

I was very surprised that we got a room assignment so soon!

Traveling with a group, I would really like to know if any one out there ever got upgrade when traveling with a group......just curious if our TA is telling us the real scoop!

Archived